1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS: Mid '90's Ibanez SR1305PM fretless

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by dave64o, Feb 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    EDIT - This bass sold on 2/28/2008

THE BACKGROUND:

I bought it used from a fellow TB'er back in 11/2007 and after digging a little into it's pedigree I think I'm the fourth owner. I know the previous two are TB'ers, but I'm not sure about the original owner. I bought it because I'm looking for "the one" in a fretless and while I think it's a very nice bass I got excited about a great deal on a MIA Jazz Deluxe fretless and now I need to sell something to offset the cost of that one. Had I not bought the Jazz I would have kept this one.

Here's my ad that the Wanted forum that the previous owner responded to: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=368747. That thread also has a link to the For Sale ad the previous owner bought it from.

THE DETAILS:

- Mid 90's Ibanez SR1305PM fretless. The body has a Paudauk front and back (the "P" in the "PM") and a mahogony body (the "M" in the "PM"). It has a 5 piece wenge and bubinga neck with a wenge fingerboard. The finger board is in very good shape. According to the second owner, he wasn't sure if this model was originally availabe in a fretless and if it was he didn't know for sure if this particular bass was originally fretted or fretless. He thought it was possible the original owner had it defretted and if that was the case he said it's an excellent job (and I'd agree). I tried to find info on this model but found very little, and nothing answered the fretless question. I emailed Ibanez about that two months ago but never got a response.

- According to the little bit of info I could find on this model, it didn't last long in this form and quickly evolved into the K5 "Fieldy" model. Whether or not your a Korn/Fieldy fan, I've seen pretty positive reviews of both that model and this one.

- It's in exactly the same shape it was in when I got it, which is pretty nice overall, though there are five things I should disclose. Disclosure Number One is the one that I was told about when I bought it. There's some sticker glue or residue on the front of the headstock and it's still there. Honestly, I never notice it so I never think about trying to remove it but I'll try getting it off before I pack it. Now on to the other things that I discovered once I actually received the bass. Disclosure Number Two is that the jack doesn't grab the plug very well when you plug it in, so it feels a little loose. When I've just let the cord dangle loose I've had a few times when it fell out. However, that hasn't happened when I've run the cord through the strap, so supporting it seems to be enough to stop it from falling out. Still, if I was going to keep the bass I'd want to replace the jack so I no longer had that worry. Disclosure Number Three is that there's a patch on the back that gets a light, dusty, whitish film on it after it sits around for a while. I can rub it off with my hand, so it looks like it's just a surface thing but I'm not sure what causes it. It looks like it might be some light finish wear, like buckle rash. It didn't photograph well but you can sort of see it in the pictures of the back. Disclosure Number Four are some small dents at the top of the headstock, which show up in some of the pictures. Finally, Disclosure Number Five is the rear battery cover, it looks like someone tried too hard to open it and there's some dents in the cover.

- The scale length is 34" and the string spacing is narrow, about 17mm. I find the neck to be very comfortable to play, very similar to other Soundgears I remember playing in stores.

- It's currently strung with the GHS Black Nylon Tapewound strings the previous owner had on them.

- Weight is about 9 pounds via the "bathroom scale method".

- Controls are volume, pickup blend, stacked bass boost/cut and high boost/cut, and stacked mid boost/cut and mid frequency.

- The one thing that makes me think this might be a defret is that the lines are very faint, as if the frets were removed and the slots were filled with something almost as dark as the neck. However, I was never able to find out for sure and from a distance it's hard to tell it's lined.

- The price includes a) the brand new Ibanez case that the previous owner included when I bought it, b) Paypal fees, and c) shipping shipping, and d) insurance for the value of the sale. I got no case candy from the bass when I bought it so I can't include any. I am including the two case keys and the allen wrench the previous owner threw in.

- Payment is via Paypal and I'll ship the bass via UPS (insured). I'll PM and/or email you the tracking number when I drop it off at UPS.

- I just bought another bass to replace this one so I'm using the sale of this bass to offset that purchase. However, there's a slim chance I might consider a trade if you have something that fits these criteria:
    * Lined fretless
    * 34" scale
    * Narrow spacing, but can be flexible on this
    * Strong preference for natural finish, 3 tone burst, tobacco bursts, & cherry bursts. I can be somewhat flexible on this, but it'd have to be a great bass and great deal.
    * Very good shape
    * Price under $1000

- CONUS sales only.

THE MOST IMPORTANT INFO:

- I'm looking for $625 on this sale. My starting price was the $675 I paid last November and subtracted $50 to allow for the jack to be replaced.

2. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    These are smaller sized versions of just a few of the pictures I took of this bass. To see the full size and full resolution versions of all of the pictures, * CLICK HERE* to go to my Pbase gallery.

I also included shots of the headstock, the battery door, and the back of the body here so you can see the things I mentioned in the "disclosures". The full size version of these photos are also in my Pbase gallery, so feel free to go there to get a better look.

medium. medium. medium. medium. medium. medium. medium. medium.

3. fullcircle

fullcircle Live your dreams

Jan 24, 2004
    Beautiful bass. More than likely if it's a de-fret, the side dots won't line up with the actual frets, they will be in the middle like on a fretted bass.

4. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    PM sent

5. as the previous owner, I will say this is a great bass. if I could justify it, I would without a doubt buy it back, but I dont have money laying around, and I like both of my kidneys inside of me ;) this bass is very smooth and easy on the hands. also, dave is a great guy to deal with, he's top notch

6. dave64o

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    PM's returned.

Thanks for the kind words, Justin. :)

7. dave64o

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    A "PM's returned" bump.

8. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    PM returned to PMs returned.

9. dave64o

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    And those PM's returned.

10. dave64o

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    This one is SOLD! Congratulations to Marcury.

Nice meeting you, Marc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.