1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS: MIJ ESP Vintage 4 (A TON OF BASS FOR THE MONEY)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by phishaholik, Nov 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Unfortunately, my current financial situation is going to make me sell a bass that I love. This has been one of my favourite basses for the past year and I am absolutely blown away by the quality of that’s coming out of ESP Japan. I would easily put this bass up there with the Sadowskys I’ve owned in the past; in fact that’s how I usually described it, as Sadowsky Metro quality but reliced and a much more vintage tone. Definitely a good step up from the vast majority of US Fenders that I’ve played. It’s in excellent + condition, having never been out of my house. I bought it brand new in 2012.

The neck pocket is tight enough that the neck will stay in place after you take the screws out and the rest of the build quality is flawless. The fretwork is excellent, the real bone nut is perfect and everything else is as solid as can be. The pickups are Seymour Duncan PJs with an SPB-2 precision pickup and an SJB-2 jazz at the bridge. I personally love these pickups and they sound absolutely wonderful with a pick through a tube amp. When I play it through my Ashdown Lil Bastard or SVT it just punchy, rock and roll goodness. All the hardware is Gotoh and very nice quality.

The relic job is very good compared to the other relics I’ve owned or seen. It looks much, much more realistic than the Roadworn Fender I used to have and unlike most relics, most of it looks very realistic. The neck especially feels and looks like a very well broken in vintage bass. The alder body has some beautiful grain patterns, the grain through the sunburst is actually what first drew me towards the bass. It also has a nice, thick Indian Rosewood fingerboard with some nice grain as well.

As you can tell, I love this bass something fierce and I don’t want to let it go. I’ve been waffling for weeks, but I don’t have much of a choice at this point.

These sell for around $1550 brand new and are well worth the price. I know that ESP isn’t as well known in the bass world as the guitar world, so I’m going to price it at a very reasonable $695 plus shipping in a Fender hard shell case. This is a ton of bass for the money.

Here is a link to Musicians Friend with pictures and specs. I’ll post actual pictures asap, I’ve been getting home too late to take pictures outside lately.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/esp-vintage-4-bass-guitar

Here is an excellent review on Youtube by Steve Vai's bass player.

Here is a stock photo I found. This is not the actual bass, but it's almost exactly the same except for the grain pattern.

espvintage4_zps7b8fd7a7.

Michael

2. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    sweet bass, great value, glwts

3. phishaholik

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Thanks man! It really is super sweet! It's actually the back-up for my Fodera and it still gets plenty of play time.

I forgot to mention, this bass is still so new that it has the original strings on it!

Michael

4. fourtet102

fourtet102

Jun 20, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    I hate heaters!
    Great bass!!!

5. 1dreday

1dreday Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2009
    sweet deal I've got the ltd but this is much sweeter bump

6. DasClyde

DasClyde Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    2 12/31's for ESP P Bass...

GLWTS

7. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    Killer bass, great price. I own two of them and would buy this if I didn't already have this finish.

8. phishaholik

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Thanks for all the kind words guys! It makes me feel a lot better letting it go knowing that there are others that appreciate this bass. It really is pro quality and in close to mint shape.

All PMs replied. I plan on posting actual pics later today.

Michael

9. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    got no money need to sell some art, but if i had money i'd be dipping this thing's body in the refinish bath and going natural

10. basstodave

basstodave

Jan 12, 2002
    arizona
    hmmmm...weight? Is the bridge pickup hum cancelling or is there single coil buzz when solo'ed?

11. rigorous bass

rigorous bass Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2012
    I really like these! My buddy has every color. He is recently subbing for Rocco P with TOP using this bass with flats. It really captures the sound/vibe. Man, if I had the dough right now, this would be mine. I know the value of these. Great basses!!

12. phishaholik

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    FA294314-5AEF-48C7-8FDB-5890AE21C03C-3013-000002621BF20382_zpsdfc02aa1.

F4436020-67ED-41EC-9468-66E9B9B034DC-3013-00000261B7E9F231_zpse3840628.

D7876532-38A7-4D29-AB4A-2360E87CDE5C-3013-00000261D873B4B2_zps69974eaf.

3D88F1DA-C9B4-454C-B0D0-39DD8CDCF49E-3013-000002620912D6A8_zpsb1bcf053.

13. phishaholik

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Sorry guys, looks like my mailbox was full and I missed some messages. I cleaned some and am good to go again.

Michael

14. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

PM

15. jonnymac

jonnymac Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    What is the finish on these? Is it poly or nitro? Is there clearcoat over the "bare" spots or is it just as if it was worn from use? What is the weight?

16. phishaholik

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Hey guys,

Here are some more specs. The nut width is 1 5/8" and the bass weighs around 9.2 to 9.4 pounds. It doesn't feel heavy in a strap at all and balances well. I've never noticed any single coil hum and I've listened for it. I'm not sure of the finish, but I'm pretty sure it's not nitro. There is a thin layer of clear over the worn parts.

If I missed any other questions or PMs, please let me know. I had the bass sold last night, but it looks like my box is too long for USPS to Canada, so it's still available as of now.

Thanks for all the interest and the support!

Michael

17. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

Pm again :)

18. jonnymac

Apr 23, 2009
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Sent you a PM about an hour ago.

19. phishaholik

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    All PMs replied to. Please be patient with me, I only have an iPhone to reply and get shipping quotes since my wife spilled a smoothie on our laptop the other day.

Michael

20. jonnymac

Apr 23, 2009
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Sent you another PM last night.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.