1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS: Mike Lull M4V unlined fretless (sf bay area)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by johnbee, May 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnbee

johnbee Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    I bought this M4V fretless on eBay, to go with my fretted Mike Lull V4 and P4. It sounds great -- very resonant, lots of mwwaaahhhh, easy to get a nice vibrato. Very versatile, it has a nice Wal-ish sound in the high registers, a good jazz sound (active and passive), and even a fat reggae p-bass sound.

But I am not a good enough fretless player to justify having this expensive bass when I already have a nice lined fretless Fender American Jazz Deluxe. And those two fretted Lulls as well. So I am putting this bass up for sale to keep my total outlay to a justifiable amount. :) $1300 plus shipping. (Will offer a discount for local pickup -- I'm in the SF area).

Description:

• Ash body with beautiful and and unusual walnut-color finish (nice deep brown with pretty wood grain)
    • Uncoated, unlined rosewood board. It came with roundwounds on it, but i do not see any lines or grooves on the board.
    • Lindy Fralin single-coil pickups, and Bartolini NTMB preamp.
    • Good condition. Has a few small dings/scratches that don't show in a picture, but very nice overall.
    • About 8.5 lbs, according to my bathroom scale

Attached Files:

2. johnbee

Jul 15, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    New price: $1400 plus shipping. Lowering it a bit for a faster sale.

3. Sywannab

Sywannab Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Alameda, CA 94501
    bump for my neighbor ;)

4. johnbee

Jul 15, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    One more price drop... $1300 plus shipping. I want to sell this fast, to help cover the expense of my recent P4 purchase. But I'm eager, not desperate, so this is as low as I plan to go. :D

5. 707clown

707clown

Apr 9, 2009
    man im right up north and broke but id love to

6. johnbee

Jul 15, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Where's the love for this Lull fretless? It really is an amazing bass. It looks pretty, has sustain for days, and crazy mwah. But two active fretless jazz basses is one too many for me, given that I am primarily a fretted player.

Will consider trades (+ cash as appropriate):

• Nice quality acoustic bass guitar
    • Macbook Air or HP Folio laptop
    • Tony Franklin fretless (yeah, I don't need two fretless basses and would probably sell this or my fender jazz dlx later; but I'm afflicted with GAS and have always been curious about these)

Any nibbles? 1300 seems a fair price, given that the fretted M4Vs seem to sell north of 1500.

7. johnbee

Jul 15, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    I did get some interest recently, but I am having second thoughts. No lines is a real toughie for me, but it sounds so nice, maybe I need to get used to that, and develop my ear more. Anyhow, it is in the shop getting a pro setup, then I will play it a few days and see if I fall in love with it, even in its blank-plank state.

Meanwhile, I have my other fretless posted for sale. It's a red fender mia jazz deluxe, with lines. It sounds great too, just not quite as awesome as the Lull.

Here's the posting:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/fender-mia-jazz-deluxe-fretless-890185/

I'm going to sell one of them, just need to figure out which one. :)

8. jedgargroover

jedgargroover

Jul 26, 2008
    Man, I'd love to buy that but since I don't have the money I'll tell you this: Sell the Fender. The Lull is a MUCH nicer instrument. Just get used to playing an unlined board. It'll be better in the long run.

My old bass tech used to call fretless lines "sissy stripes". That's a bit extreme but the idea is that it's a crutch that just holds you back. Develop your ears, not your eyes, and you'll be better off. If your hand position is clean and you work on vibrato it'll be well worth the time investment. Throw some LaBella tapewounds on there and the tone will be ridiculous.

9. johnbee

Jul 15, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Thanks, J Edgar Groover (great name, BTW!). I have spent a lot of time on the forums reading the heated debates on lined vs unlined. I admit I do lean towards the lined viewpoint, but I think I should give unlined a chance. I'm not going to be playing fast technical stuff like Jaco or Gary Willis, just slow mellow lines to go with an acoustic guitar -- so unlined is something I could handle, and would be a great way to develop my ear. I'm going to put this sale on hold for a few weeks and see if it kicks in for me; especially since I just spent a bunch of money setting it up all nice.

10. nightwulf

nightwulf

Feb 27, 2011
    Edmonds Wa
    DARN!

11. jedgargroover

jedgargroover

Jul 26, 2008
    Well, if you change your mind down the road PM me and if I have the cash I'd love to take it off your hands.

:)

12. nightwulf

nightwulf

Feb 27, 2011
    Edmonds Wa
    +1

13. rogerc

rogerc

Mar 13, 2007
    +2. Interested. Loved the 5 string Lull I had. Could really use a 4 fretless for some jazz work. Please PM me if decide to sell, thx!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.