1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

FS: Mint Ovation B778 Acoustic-Electric Bass $1,195.00

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Jim Miller, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Jim Miller

Jim Miller

Sep 17, 2010
    Naples, FL
    Hello,

**Rock Bottom Price reduction to $1,195.00**

(Photos at Bottom)

Need to Know: Ovation B778 acoustic-electric bass with OHSC, mint condition, $1,195.00, shipped, Paypal.

Nice to Know: I bought this bass new in 2003. It has never left the house since then, except for when I moved once. It is in mint condition. Frets are great. Action is great along entire neck. Stays in tune. Finish is 99% flawless (not 100% because flawless is debatable between observers). Hardware is not tarnished. Pre-amp/tuner work fine. 99% of the time this bass was played acoustically in the living room. It looks as if I bought it yesterday.

Reason for selling is I just don'’t play it anymore. I love the bass, but life circumstances have changed and I overwhelmingly play electric basses today. I'’ve kept it because it’'s so gorgeous, but it really ought to go to someone who'’ll play it rather than leave it abandoned it in its case.

Specs from Ovation:

“Handcrafted in Ovation’'s flagship workshop in New Hartford, Connecticut, Ovation'’s 4-string bass guitar features a deluxe hand-selected AA solid-spruce top and scalloped X-bracing for superior note definition. Ovation'’s classic Mid-Depth cutaway composite body delivers balanced acoustic tone and is comfortable to hold and play. Ovation'’s pioneering multi-soundhole design enhances string vibration and sustain by improving soundboard efficiency. The bass also features a deluxe ebony fretboard and bridge, a 5-piece mahogany/maple neck with gloss finish, and gold tuners. Assuring correct string tension and intonation, a full 34"” scale delivers harmonically rich timbres across the instrument’s entire range. With its onboard compressor, the OP-Pro Studio preamp provides control over the attack and sustain of every note. Ovation basses are noted for their clarity and pitch focus. The Lyrachord body gives them an unfair advantage over their competitor`s muddy sounding acoustic/electrics.”

Description: 4-String Acoustic/Electric
    Body Type: Mid-Depth Cutaway
    Top: Solid Spruce
    Bracing: Quintad
    Scale Length: 34"
    Fretboard: Ebony
    Fret Inlay: Mother of Pearl
    Bridge: Walnut
    Preamp: OP-Pro Studio
    Sound Hole: Multi 5-Piece Epaulet
    Pickup: Tru-Balance
    Nutwidth: 1 9/16"
    Machines: Gold

Oh, one thing, there is a flaw with the OHSC. Pretty early in its life the latch with the three-number combo lock stopped working. Beyond that, all other latches work normally and the case is in stellar condition.

Ovation'’s suggested price is $3,239.00. Guitar Center, Music 123, etc., sold it for $2,279.00. I've knocked hundreds off that, plus another 50 for the flawed latch, —and offer this one for $1,195.00 shipped, Paypal, with OHSC (including manual and truss rod wrench). Really, the only difference between this bass and one you'’d by from Guitar Center, etc., besides being hundreds of dollars less, is it’'s matured. Otherwise, it looks/feels/sounds like the others I’'ve played.

adp7iavJ.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

aciOwvZy.

aco59bj5.

acgBFZw5.

adiLRive.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2016
    dusterdan likes this.
  2. DeepDesertBeat

DeepDesertBeat

Apr 4, 2012
    SW USA
    Are you taking trade offers?

3. Jim Miller

Jim Miller

Sep 17, 2010
    Naples, FL
    Hi, DDB,

It wouldn't be a straight trade but the only thing that's on my radar is a 6-string, a Gibson Les Paul Studio Satin, fireburst finish. Othewise, I have enough basses and don't fancy any more.

4. EduardoK

EduardoK

Jun 28, 2004
    Wow, what a beauty! Wish I could...

5. RedMoses

RedMoses

Jul 4, 2012
    NYC
    Ued to have one of these at a studio i worked at, an older one with flats on it, MAN it sounds incredible! GLWS

6. it looks like there are a couple of dings in the back of the neck, is this just the lighting?

7. Jim Miller

Jim Miller

Sep 17, 2010
    Naples, FL
    I know exactly what you mean. That's just the way the wood looks. No ding. I'll take a closeup photo of the area and post here. Just give a sec.

8. Jim Miller

Jim Miller

Sep 17, 2010
    Naples, FL
    Here are some snaps I just took. It's just a dark area of the wood. When I run my finger across it, it is absolutely smooth as the rest of the neck and has no depression. You feel nothing. It's just a visual difference.

adoAJNr9.

adcIjfg9.

adlAc53p.

9. klanger2003

klanger2003 Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2002
    "Connecticute"
    p.m. sent

10. Jim Miller

Jim Miller

Sep 17, 2010
    Naples, FL
    PM answered.

11. Jim Miller

Jim Miller

Sep 17, 2010
    Naples, FL
    Rock bottom price reduction to $1,195.00.

12. stigohara

stigohara

Oct 2, 2011
    Still have it?..thx
    John