1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD FS: Minty MIJ Fender Jazz w OHSC 1996!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by rogerbmiller, Mar 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    !SOLD!!

For sale is my MIJ Fender Jazz bass, made in 1996 in mint condition with the original Fender “Chainsaw” case. This is a U serial number (noted on the headstock) and has the commemorative 50th Anniversary sticker on the back of the headstock. The finish is a gorgeous and very subtly metallic red.

This bass is by far the most “touch sensitive” jazz I have ever played let alone owned. This has ridiculous booty, high output and is a cinch and a joy to play. As noted above condition is pristine and this has been a treasure of my collection for some time, having never been gigged on my watch, only held in awe as one of my favorite little gems. A bit about what makes this bass so neat and unusual, ridiculous booty and touch sensitivity aside:

Being a 1996, this bass was made during what I would call an interesting and dare I say “transitional” time for Fender. For years the “budget” Fenders were made in Japan and for a little bit more money you would buy a USA made Fender. The main difference between the MIJ and MIA Fenders were in parts (i.e. hardware and accessories) most notably in their guitars. For instance, the Japanese Fender Strats had single ply pick guards, cheesy pots, and very basic bridges which, if looked at too aggressively would cause the whole guitar to go out of tune (this is from experience and trust me when I say just imagine what happened when using the whammy bar!) whereas their American made counterparts had locking tremolo systems, Spertzel tuners (on some models), etc.

Around 1996, things changed and Fender made the Mexican made instruments their stock “budget” line, with street price under $300. I know, Mexi Fenders were around before that, but this is when they really phased out the MIJ Fenders in the US market.

Anyway, this bass I am selling was made at that time and has some very interesting features that are almost a hybrid of the various periods and country of manufacture. For example, while at a quick glance this is a stock “’62 replica” (if you will), it features the numeric knobs which were the norm on the late 80’s and early 90’s USA and Mexi Fender basses, and it also has the truss rod adjustment access behind the nut (vs. at the heel as with most other MIJ jazz basses). The classical ‘62 pick guard is featured (note the centered screw near the neck PU and holes on either side of the neck PU) as is the classical copper grounding wire running from the bridge PU to the bridge, my personal favorite feature which screams old school cool.

The OHSC is in excellent condition though as pictured, one of the handle hinges has been lost so paperclips have been put in their place. Installation of a proper hinge is an easy show store or luggage store fix as this is commonplace. But in the meantime, the paperclips work fine and this bass can be ported in case with no problem.

I am sure the rest needs no explaining as this is an all-stock Fender Jazz bass and in perfect condition.
    As for price, I am asking $SOLD CONUS with an additional $20 added for shipping to MST and PST time zones. Paypal is fine. I will consider international sales on a case by case basis so if you are outside the CONUS, please contact me first via PM so we can determine feasibility and agree upon additional costs for shipping, etc.

Otherwise, pics below and please feel free to ask questions. Lighting was funny and made the case lint appear larger than life.

Update: Additional pics posted 3/28/2013 to further highlight the stellar condition of the bass.

Thanks!
    IMG_2097_zps24be9ff4.
    IMG_2096_zps5b0f33c9. [/QUOTE]
    IMG_2104_zpsb63fcaf8.
    IMG_2103_zps59da3c82.
    IMG_2102_zps65d54ce5.
    IMG_2101_zpsedb2c7ac.
    IMG_2100_zpsbb54c6b3.
    IMG_2099_zpsa9e222f2.
    IMG_2098_zpse0c692da.

Pics taken 3/28/2013

IMG_2127_zps1047b292.
    IMG_2129_zps5e56d524.
    IMG_2131_zps3923944b.
    IMG_2135_zps90a6c3c2.
    IMG_2136_zpsc7192f16.
    IMG_2137_zpsa911bf37.
    IMG_2138_zpsf4b6ed42.
    IMG_2139_zps46a93311.

2. rojo412

rojo412 Walnut is fun! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Another awesome MIJ from my man Roger!
    GLWTS, she's a peach!

3. kai_ski

kai_ski

Apr 14, 2007
    Wenatchee, WA
    weight? ;)

4. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Dunno. The bass resides in my office. I do have back problems (bulging disks, sciatica and other ailments) and this bass does not irritate me when I wear it on a strap. SO it can't be much more than 10 lbs on the HIGH side.

If I can get it to a scale I will follow up with actual weight. In the meantime I hope this info is helpful.

RBM

5. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Bump for a slight price drop. Offers fine. Gotta clear the bass clutter. Thanks.

6. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Bump for another price drop. Gotta move this one on. Will also be listing a white MIM soon. Stay tuned.

7. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    Bump for an educational and well-written ad.

8. rojo412

rojo412 Walnut is fun! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    A perspective bump...

This is priced less than the new MIM version. This is MIJ and like new. Ask anyone and they'll tell you how well made the MIJ ones are.
    This also includes a Fender case, and will likely increase in value.
    The MIM, no case, nowhere to go but down.

Seems like a no brainier to me!

9. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I'm actually strongly considering this...

10. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    You have PM :)

11. funkboy5

funkboy5 19mm + 35" = :-) Bass'd on a true story

Jan 4, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Bump for an interesting and informative back story.... glb

Great looking bass btw.

12. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Bump for new pics. There are still some funky lighting issues just given the lighting in my office. I assure nothing you see are blems-- just lighting. Either way, these addditional pics should give an even better sense of how clean this bass is.

Enjoy!

13. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    It's Easter so rather than write "bump..."

HOP!

C'mon everyone. Clean MIJ Jazz with tons of booty. Someone take this before I change my mind!

14. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    To the top for an amazing Japanese made Fender Jazz. This is a player and a looker with KILLER tone.

15. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    As per recent PM activity, a sale is pending....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.