1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS: Modified G&L L1000

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by willsellout, Jun 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alright, so I just bought this a few weeks back and it's just not hitting home for me. This is an 82 L1000 modified with an extra MFD humbucker, to make it similar to an L2000. When I got it, it had a 2 band Ken Smith preamp that wasn't wired correctly and wasn't working properly.

I took everything out, shielded the cavities, spliced longer leads on the pickups (the others were cut way too short to be usable), and rewired it in a simple V/V/T setup. It sounds exactly like you think it would sound: MASSIVE! There is a dummy 3 way switch on the control plate (just for looks, not functional). I didn't want a hole sitting there unfilled, so I added the switch. I initially was going to set the switch as a neck/both/bridge, but the switch was apparently overheated. A buddy of mine, who does repair work says that particular switch is finicky, so there ya go:smug:

Anyway, It's in great shape, with a flawless Pat Wilkins trans black finish and a great figured neck and fingerboard. It has a light flame, which looks very cool. Also has a great grain pattern that you can see through the trans black finish

Trades I'm interested in:

Basses:
    Jazz basses
    Lakland's
    Fenders (No P basses unless they have J necks)
    Peavey's

Amps:
    Markbass
    Eden
    Aguilar
    Genz Benz

Also interested in cabinets, as I will be needing one soon.

Shoot me offers with what you have. I can definitely trade down and may be able to add a little bit of cash to something special:bag:

Sale Price is 725.00 shipped. It was originally set at 700.00 but I bought a new Roadrunner case for it.

Here are some pics:

IMG_0627.
    IMG_0625.

The only thing different is that it has chrome dome knobs from Stewmac. High Quality, set screw.

Let me know if you have any questions! Thanks!

Dan

2. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    So, is it functional right now (fully wired up), or not?

I'd be interested to know how that thing sounds. I bet it's huge. It looks cool too.

3. Yup, fully functional with a V/V/T setup and it sounds massive with both pickups full on. I have it wired with 500K pots and a .022 cap, so the tone doesn't muddy things up, it just kind of darkens it up a bit.

I was intending on wiring it with an Aggie OPB but some financial stuff popped up. It was either this or the Ric, and the Ric feels more like home to me.

Also the neck on this is simply outstanding. very thin front to back, and super easy to play. Definitely not a baseball bat.

Dan

4. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Very nice.

5. ThumbyAche

ThumbyAche Gold Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Pacific NW
    My old G&L! Used to be trans teal though..and the Ken Smith pre and wiring was all professionally done so maybe it turned messy after the refin job..
    Bump for a KILLER sounding bass with one of the best necks I've ever played on. Someone will get a great bass here..

6. Yeah I'm not sure what was going on with the pre. It looked very well done with the exception of the bridge pickup green and white leads being cut off and unattached to anything. On the 3 three way switch, which was apparently a series/parallel/single coil switch, I wasn't getting sound out of the bridge pickup.

I probably could have taken it in and gotten it fixed but I wanted to put an Aggie in there, so I decided to just take it out. I'm actually really liking the passive tone.

7. ThumbyAche

ThumbyAche Gold Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Pacific NW
    Just some info on the history of the bass. Most of the unique features on the bass were done after I got it from the original owner in like 1992-1993. The pickguard shape (was white when I had it), the added G&L pickup, Ken Smith pre, smaller fret wire, and satin finish on the neck were done by some luthiers I worked with in Oregon. The refin was done after I sold it here on TB but I know Pat Wilkins does awesome work and I have had work done by him on some other instruments. I like that this G&L looks different than others. Just thought it might help if TB'ers knew how special the bass is. Good luck with the sale.

8. Ahh, so lots done to it, aftermarket. Good to know. I love the fretwire, and agree that the neck is possibly one of the best I've played. It's right up there with some of the US Laklands I've owned. Everything was done really well. The only complaint I had was the wiring on it being wonky. That had to have happened after the refin. It wasn't a big deal for me.

I've solved my financial situation in another way, so there is a good chance this one is staying with me. I'm going to think on it.

9. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    ThumbyAche - what was the fretwire that was used?

Financial situation solved....open to trades?

10. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Ken smith pre included?

11. Nope, that's long gone:D

12. justinmc

justinmc

Feb 8, 2006
    What's the weight?

13. fish slapper

fish slapper

Nov 17, 2005
    Newberg, OR
    Nut width?

And to be clear: it's a passive bass right now?

You'll never pry my Jazz out of my cold dead hands but possible interest in a cash deal.

14. 9.5 lbs give or take a few ounces

Nut width is 1.6" and yes it's completely passive with a V/V/T setup. I bought, and intended to install a 3 way switch, but it isn't wired up. Once again, It's on the control plate, but isn't connected.

Thanks for the questions!

Dan

15. tlvernon

tlvernon

Jan 26, 2011
    Columbus OH
    This is a great value. Beautiful...
    Free bump.

16. Get this wired up with single-coil mode on the pickups and you'll have a REALLY versatile beast. It's almost like a "70's super jazz" tone with the outer coils.

17. I was interested in trying this, but I was told that I wouldn't be able to do it with these pickups as they aren't single coil capable (4 wires instead of the 5 wires needed). I could be wrong though. I definitely wouldn't mind using a 2 way switch for single coil mode.

I've been toying with the idea of taking it over to Mike Lull to discuss the possibilities. As for now, it's still up for trade. I'd consider an amp and or/ cabinet trade as well now.

18. A pic of her all shielded up:D
    IMG_0638.

19. Some pics of the wiring
    IMG_0641.

20. Bump. Possible local deal, but still up for grabs until tomorrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.