1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FS: MTD 435 Korina/Wenge

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by mrcircle, Jul 31, 2007.

1. mrcircle

mrcircle peacenik Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Boise, ID
    Hi everyone,

This is a painful decision, but I've decided to sell my pride and joy to take care of some medical bills. I purchased this bass used after seeing it on eBay about a year and a half ago. I'd been looking for one of these for over a year after playing a tulipwood/wenge version at Bass Alone in San Diego and falling in love with the playability and tone (I would have bought that one but the aftermarket paint job wasn't to my liking.)

This bass was being sold by a NYC guitar store, so I had them ship it directly to Michael to check out. At my request he refinished the body (it was originally much darker) and also replaced the jack and bridge, dressed the frets, added the BFTS and did a complete setup. Though an older model (serial #081), its pretty much like new now except for the pickup covers and some very slight damage to the headstock just to the left of the MTD logo where I inadvertently raised the bass over my head into the path of a slowly rotating ceiling fan (see photograph).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When I first saw the auction, I emailed Michael Tobias to see what he could tell me about the bass and this was his response:

That is a wonderful bass. Darker than the poplar but should be very clear and warm with good punch and strong mids…. not quite as airy as the poplar. That bass used to belong to my friend Larry Ullman….he sold it when he got really ill. Though he is better now the bass has always been really fine.
    Peace,
    Michael Tobias

To my ears, he described the tone very accurately. For those who've accused MTDs of sounding "thin," this is definitely a different animal. The bass is also very light, about 8 pounds, and perfectly balanced. As Michael told me when the bass was ready to ship, "It looks great, plays great, sounds great!"

I'm asking $2,100 including shipping and OHSC. Not interested in any trades.

Thanks,
    Michael

2. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    PM coming your way

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Wow, folks! You don't see 435's very often (and people are always trying to buy mine :p), so this should make some people very happy! :D

Bump for a great bass and a great TBer. :)

Tom.

4. mrcircle

Oct 3, 2003
    Boise, ID
    Thanks for the kind words, Tom!

Here are some pics of the back of the bass. They're lower res than the ones above, but they'll give you the idea:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. mrcircle

Oct 3, 2003
    Boise, ID
    On hold, pending payment!

6. Psychicpet

Psychicpet Guest

Mar 13, 2004
    Friend and Endorsee of Larry
    awesome! congrats to you and the buyer.

7. mrcircle

Oct 3, 2003
    Boise, ID
    Thanks! I hate to see her go, but I know she's going to a good home. :crying: