1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD FS: MTD Kingston Heir 5-String Bass in Original Box Nearly New

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by David Henry, Jan 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MTD Kingston Heir 5-String Bass Guitar in the Original box. Michael Tobias Design. Tobacco Sunburst Flamed Maple Finish.

$525 + shipping to USA only. PayPal OK. To ship double boxed and insured by UPS.

Killer B string, flexible tones and great looks. MSRP $1259. I am the original owner and purchased it new from an Authorized dealer.

In Nearly New, Very Good, fully functional Condition with about 4 hours of playing time in my non-smoking home. Still has the original strings on it. I filed the fret ends on the side of the neck for a smoother feel. These following things are not easily noticeable except under very close examination: It has a small ding on the top near pickup. The top has a fine rub mark that I could not get to show in pics. Back has some very light rub marks from belt or buttons. As from the factory, a very small nick and sloppy paint on headstock edge.

I am selling this only because I don’t have time to play anymore.

Info from MTD:
    The Michael Tobias Design Kingston Heir basses were designed for the player looking for an aggressive yet extremely versatile instrument. Using the same large pole, dual humbucking pickups as the Kingston Artist in addition to an exposed pole "J" bass pick up, the Heir can grind and bite or simply serve up the warm classic sounds bassists cherish. Like all MTD Kingston Series instruments, the Heir incorporates many superior design elements found on MTD's revered American instruments. It is carefully constructed using high quality Ash, Eastern Hard Rock Maple and beautifully adorned with a Flamed maple top.

MTD Kingston Heir 5-String Bass Guitar Features:
    • Mike’s personal design concepts
    • 35" scale
    • 24 medium jumbo frets
    • Zero fret 1 3/4" wide
    • MTD bridge, 3/4" (19mm) spacing
    • Asymmetrical One-piece neck w/satin polyester finish
    • Carved Ash body (figured maple top option)
    • Five controls, volume, blend, plus 3 band EQ
    • MTD exposed pole alnico J and MM pickups
    • Shielded electronics compartment
    • Buzz Feiten Tuning System

Link to buying info: MTD Kingston Heir 5-String Bass Guitar: Shop Bass & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend
    Link to MTD: MTD Kingston Heir Bass

More pictures here: MTD Kingston Heir - a set on Flickr

2. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies!

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    I own this bass and it is probably my favorite player right now.
    bump

3. Nice deal! Is anyone else seeing this....GLWTS.

4. Bump

5. mikeddd

mikeddd Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    Wow, that's a nice looking bass. Heckuva deal too. If I wasn't GASSING for a P for months now, I'd be all over this. This may be a stupid question, but how "active" does it sound? For example, I'm selling my Spector b/c it's just "too fake activey" sounding to me. I prefer more of a traditional Jazz or P sound. Does this MTD basically sound like a Spector? Hope that makes sense. :) GLWTS.

6. I own a Spector Euro 4LX-435 and a Euro 4LX-TW and both have a much more modern/active tone than the MTD. You can easily get Fender type tones from the MTD.

7. mikeddd

mikeddd Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    Oh boy...I was afraid you'd say that. Must resist...5-string itch never scratched...
    What sort of P-Bass type tone can you get out of this bad boy? I've been jonesing for a P, but you know how this GAS ride goes....always something else catching the eye...and wallet. What was amiss about the frets that you had to file it? Would you post a pic of how it looks now?

Being that you own Spectors that cost 3x what my Legend Custom cost new, I assume no interest in a partial trade for the Legend Custom in my sig? Hey, I gotta ask. :D

8. It has a tone closer to a J bass in the neck position, but with the 3 band EQ there are a lot of flavors available.

The fret ends only, were very slightly sticking out the side of the neck as I am in a very dry climate. (just like my Carvins and Warwick Rockbass) I used a fret end dressing file to get rid of the rough feeling.

No trades,
    Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.