Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FS: Myrtlewood Roscoe SKB3006

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by Ty McNeely, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Well, I've been slowly downsizing my gear, mainly because I never get to play anymore. I have entirely too many irons in the fire, and I just can't justify keeping such a gorgeous bass around and not playing it. I hate that I'm selling it, but I can't stand for it to sit and rot.

So, here goes.

Myrtlewood Roscoe 6-string
    Spalted Purpleheart fingerboard
    Demeter Pre-amp

In my opinion, the Demeter Pre blows the Bart pre out of the water, but I suppose that's for each person to decide. I've had both--the Bart and the Demeter--and I would take the Demeter any day. This bass is one of the best sounding basses I have ever heard.

With all of that said, now comes the price. $1750+shipping, and that's firm. I'm not in a hurry to sell it, but I just want it to go to a good home where it will actually get played.

Let me know if you have any questions, and there are numerous here who can vouch for my validity as well as the origin of this bass. It was traded with user "emjazz" about 6 months ago, I believe.

Pics below, and I'll add more of specific parts upon request. Mint condition--no scratches or dings.

[​IMG]

2. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    First off, Ty is a jem to deal with. He always got right back to me and I trusted him with no reservations. It paid off for sure. Second, that bass is tops. I have a couple live sound clips left of it (in a couple of different contexts) if anyone would like to hear them. If I had the scratch I'd buy it back. It's outstanding in every way. I only traded it to try other body woods with the Roscoe's. I was the original owner and I bought it from The Perfect Bass. Also, it was considered an "Icon" because it was I believe the first bass Keith made with a one piece myrtlewood body. The figuring goes all the way through the wood. It also has an estate ivory nut.

For those of you that may be curious that's the standard Demeter preamp in this bass. It was installed professionally by Brian Ristola of Ristola instruments and bestbassgear.com. It was the first Demeter to be used in a Roscoe and it's the reason why Roscoe now uses Demeter pre's. I haven't heard the Roscoe spec'd preamp but the only difference is in the mids. Honestly, there was nothing more I personally could've wanted from the preamp that's in there now.

Anyway, that's one of the best basses I've played and heard. Whomever ends up with it'll be knocked out.

Cheers.
    Andy.

3. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Thanks a ton for the kind words, Andy.

I have no doubt this bass will make somebody EXTREMELY happy.

4. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My pleasure Ty. Good luck selling the bass.

5. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Wish I could give her a try, but I've already got something coming in. Bump for a nice bass.

6. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Sweet looking bass! I'll also vouch for the Demeter pre in a Roscoe! If you're looking for a great 6 string your search just ended! I've played just about everything out there and IMO nothing played or sounded as nice as the Roscoe 3006 basses!

7. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    One thing I feel compelled to add....

looking at this picture of the bass, I have to say that it does it ABSOLUTELY zero justice.

I'm gonna try to take some better pictures here in a bit and get them up.

8. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I guess I should add that I am not looking for nor will I be interested in any trades.

9. nosajwp

nosajwp

Jun 14, 2005
    Winston-Salem, NC
    How does the SKB balance? It looks like it might have a problem with neck dive, but I haven't had the opportunity to try one.

What scale is it, and what is it's string spacing at the bridge?

Thanks!

10. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    The SKB's balance just fine... even better than the LG, which might have a slight bit of neck dive, but I don't notice it playing mine. I used to have an SKB as well as my current LG.

The scale is 35", and I'm pretty sure the spacing at the bridge is a comfy 18mm. Great for both fingerstyle and slapping.

11. Hope this isn't a dumb question but just what is that between the Barts? Kind of ruins the look IMO, although I'm getting very interested in the bass.

12. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

This man knows his stuff! Many thanks!

As he said--zero neck dive. It balances perfectly for me. This bass has perfect spacing in my opinion---slapping is easy, but it's not too wide for good fast fingerstyle.

Just FYI also....this bass is outfitted with Dunlop strap-loks, and I'll throw in an extra-long comfort strapp with the dunlop ends on it for whoever buys this bass.

13. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

It's called a speed ramp, if I recall. It gives you somewhere to put your thumb, and it forces you to play lighter on the strings, which allows you to play faster, in my experiences.

It is removable, and there are only two small holes where it is screwed in. Not a big deal at all if it is taken off.

14. Ty - thanks for the information - I've seen Gary willis use a "ramp" for his bass but the ramp was between the neck and first pup. Cool bass and I'm giving it some very serious consideration...thanks again.

15. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Can the ramp be raised and lowered by the screws so you can adjust it to different usable heights, or is it stationary?

I'd love to see the other pics- I almost got this the first time around when emjazz was selling it.

Any dings, scratches, etc.?

Oh, and how much does it weigh?

16. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Hmm. I was looking at this when it was up for sale the first time also. Now that I can actually afford it (MUCH better paying job ;) ), I am seriously considering it.

Even though I know what it looks like from before, if you could get a few more pics up again, it would help my decision along.

Thanks

17. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Ryan...

You don't need any more pictures...
    "I don't need any more pictures..."

This is exactly the bass you need...
    "This is exactly the bass I need..."

You'll send the money now...
    "I'll send the money now..."

:)

18. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    More pics. If anyone wants a specific shot, let me know and I'll get it up ASAP.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I've honestly never tried to raise or lower it, but I would assume that it CAN be lowered by driving the screws in further.

I just inspected the entire bass top to bottom and did not find a single ding or scratch anywhere on it. Like I said, I would consider it to be mint condition.

The pictures I put up still don't do the finish any justice either. My camera is not of the greatest quality, and I'm just simply not the best photographer.

Umm....not much?

lol honestly, I'm not sure. It is not overly heavy, and I'm sure that the other Roscoe owners here can give you something to compare to.

20. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The height can definately be adjusted with the screws.