1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

FS: N3 Jazz Pickup 5 String Pair

Discussion in 'For Sale: Parts, Strings, and Accessories' started by ctufankjian, Mar 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ctufankjian

ctufankjian

Sep 28, 2007
    Vermont
    Endorsing Artist: Unicornbass.se
    SOLDThese came out of a 2013 American deluxe purchased by me NIB Yesterday. They are spanking new with the plastic still on them. I didn't even plug the bass in prior to yanking them.

$135

Will consider an Aguilar OBP-1 in trade.

DSCN8429_zps4676763c.
    DSCN8426_zps7896c6f6.
    DSCN8428_zps02ad0537.
    DSCN8427_zps20e800ac.

2. ctufankjian

ctufankjian

Sep 28, 2007
    Vermont
    Bump! Now looking for George L's.

3. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    PM

4. TWISTEDSTRINGS

TWISTEDSTRINGS

Oct 13, 2012
    Out of curiosity, what did you put in there place ? I wish you had tried them so you could tell me how noiseless they really are ? I`v heard conflicting stories...

5. ctufankjian

ctufankjian

Sep 28, 2007
    Vermont
    I've had another 5 string Deluxe with N3 Pickups. When compared to regular jazz pickups, these are comparatively noiseless. The pickups that are in my bass now are Aguilar 5J-60's which are not noiseless. There is hum when the blend knob favors the neck or bridge. There wasn't a discernible hum with the N3's. Was there other noise, possibly, but not relative to the hum canceling nature of those pickups.

This is My HUMBLE opinion (and I know there's now a few threads beating this topic to death), on the entire subject: People are attributing "noise" to the N3 pickups and not a multitude of other variables can have an affect on ground etc. I think the deluxe line of basses (similar to the Marcus Miller series) have an extremely hot 18v preamp that yields a range of very bright tones, and under certain circumstances exemplify unwanted sounds. I don't personally think that Fender is misrepresenting it's products, or skimping on shielding etc. I just think the company celebrates a long history of really bright instruments and the quirks and characteristics associated with it.

I actually think Sterling Ball touches on that history here (l'm aware it has very little to do with N3 pickups, but interesting none-the-less):

:D

6. ctufankjian

ctufankjian

Sep 28, 2007
    Vermont
    Hey Doug, replied. Thanks for the message.

7. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    PM replied

8. TWISTEDSTRINGS

TWISTEDSTRINGS

Oct 13, 2012
    Much thanks for your opinion and insight. So crazy, just last night I was watching that video and thinking about what he was saying in terms of the Les Paul, he made so much sense. I have a `05 Amer Dlx J5 and was thinking about getting the N3s. I had to completely shield every nook and cranny of it to get rid of the noise, so your thoughts about the high output per amp makes a lot of sense. I think I`m gonna go another route though, like a John East dropin with "not sure yet pups?". Any suggestions about preamp and pups ? Are you getting what you were looking for with your new setup? Sorry for cluttering your thread but i was thinking others may like the info..PEACE

9. ctufankjian

ctufankjian

Sep 28, 2007
    Vermont
    These are SOLD!

10. ctufankjian

ctufankjian

Sep 28, 2007
    Vermont
    A preamp is a really personal choice and, IMO, depends on what characteristics you need to improve upon with an individual bass. I've always been pretty loyal to two band boost only preamps like the Aguilar OBP-1. I'm not super familiar with the John East stuff, but I'm pretty sure much of his preamps are cut/boost like the retros etc. Seems kind of like what Fender is doing, but with much more USEABLE tone. I'd love to hear what you wind-up with!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.