1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD FS: nEarful 15" + 6" + tweet (Denver)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by groovaholic, Aug 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. groovaholic

groovaholic The louder the better.

Sep 19, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI
    This cabinet started life as a Carvin 1503 3-way PA cabinet.

While reading about the fEarful cabinets here on TalkBass, I noticed that the idea started with greenboy modifying one of these Carvins.
    So, I started modifying...

First up was upgrading the crossover; the stock one was seriously underrated for the wattage I was using.
    So I ordered top of the line components from Erse Audio and built a crossover board for EACH driver so that I could keep them apart and prevent magnetic interference between the coils.

Next was improving the input plate.
    Since quarter-inch jacks are really inadequate for dealing with high-power signals, I replaced the plastic input cup with a steel one, and equipped it with Neutrik Speakon connectors.

Then, I replaced all of the internal speaker wire with 14-gauge oxygen-free high-strand-count cable.

Finally, I installed an Eminence Kappa 3015LF neodymium woofer.
    The Kappa 3015LF is the cornerstone of the fEarful cabs because there is just NOT another speaker that does what the 3015LF does; huge lows, high efficiency, tons of power-handling...and it weighs 7 lbs.

The 3015LF, all by itself, is selling for $269 online -- so go ahead and make an offer, just please keep that in mind when making your offer. :)

Alternately, rather than drop my price too much and ship a large cab, I'd consider selling the 3015LF and/or crossover components separately.

The midrange and tweeter, the wood, the grille, and the handles are still original.
    Fortunately, those parts didn't need improvement; Carvin built the cabinet out of 3/4" poplar plywood which is lightweight and sturdy.

All together, this cab weighs less than 60 pounds, handles over 600 watts, goes low enough for a detuned B-string and gets loud enough to play ANY stage...and you won't find a better sounding cabinet for twice the price!

I'm offering this cab up for a couple reasons:
    First, I used to play in several bands, but now am down to one, and that band is much less busy than we used to be.
    Second, I'm going to be moving soon, and I need to downsize what I'm bringing with me.
    Finally, I've been enjoying a more "traditional" tone lately and this is a bit more hi-fi than what I want.

Asking $300 -- will ship, but shipping would be $75 or so.

2. RHA III

RHA III Supporting Member

Jul 22, 2012
    OR
    4 or 8 ohms?

Any buzz or rattle at high volume on the E or B string?

3. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Sick deal. Someone jump this.

4. groovaholic

Sep 19, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI
    It's an 8-ohm cab.

Yes, everything in my HOUSE rattles when I play a loud E or B with this cab :)

Joking aside, the cab is totally solid.

I forgot to mention initially, but I had to put rubber spacers between the cab and the grille to A) Prevent those audible vibrations and B) Make sure the 15" doesn't HIT the grille; it has a TON of excursion.

You can see those rubber spacers in the pic of the front of the cab (where the grille is removed).

5. Bump to a great seller and a great cab. Cabs loaded with 3015LF's absolutely crush.

6. groovaholic

Sep 19, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I had an offer for $300 shipped, and I counteroffered with $250 + shipping.

Haven't heard back regarding my counteroffer, so I will make that price available to everyone.

7. groovaholic

Sep 19, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Here are some shots of the heavy-duty crossover components that I used.

8. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    I keep repeating to myself, "I do not need this cab... I do not need this cab..."

9. groovaholic

Sep 19, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Kurt, my silly friend, of COURSE you need this cab.

I could even personally deliver it TO you...:bassist:

10. groovaholic

Sep 19, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI
    SOLD!! via Craigslist for $250

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.