Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FS: NEW MTD Grendel 5 String - $995

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by DonovanBankhead, Jun 4, 2002.

1. DonovanBankhead

DonovanBankhead Banned Commercial User

Aug 25, 2001
    Springfield, MO
    Owner - FretSpot.com; Vice President - Springfield Music
    This is a new MTD Grendel 5 string. 35" scale, Bartolini pick-ups, quilt black top with maple neck. This instrument was selected by Michael Tobias himself. I'm asking $995 obo.

More images located at:
    www.trumpetplayer.net/fs/mtd.html

[​IMG]

2. DonovanBankhead

Aug 25, 2001
    Springfield, MO
    Price reduced to $895 obo.

3. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Could you describe this bass in detail? I've never played one. I've been looking for something in transparent black with a maple board. I currently play a Spector Czech series bass. I need a bass that is loud and punchy with a fast neck. Those pickups look a little too "J" but maybe since they are Barts they might not sound as thin as your average J pups.

Tell me more about it. Also, does your price include a case?

4. DonovanBankhead

Aug 25, 2001
    Springfield, MO
    The bartolini pick-ups are anything but thin. The bass has a very good active preamp, so you can boost the lows, highs, etc. Also, it has a mid-contour switch, or "slap" switch, which can cut or boost a specific mid frequency. It is very effective.

One of my favorite features on the instrument was the asymmetrical neck. It's thinner on the treble side, making it easier to play such a wide neck (3/4" spacing).

Overall, this instrument is very versatile, and can be used in a variety of playing situations. Also, it is a very attractive instrument.

I could probably be persuaded into including a case, although it didn't come with one originally.