1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

FS: New Standard Cleveland hybrid

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by etsob, Mar 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. etsob

etsob Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Endorsing artist, REMIC Microphones
    Decided to put my fantastic New Standard Cleveland hybrid bass up on the block. Love the sound I get with this instrument, but as we all know, tastes change, and so I'm making room for something else.

I am the second owner of this instrument; bought it locally last year. The bass is a 2009, and has had several upgrades/adjustments made: new antiqued cherry torch-style tailpiece and wooden (black walnut) endpin, both from Jake at The Bass Spa, Laborie endpin hole drilled by Sarah Balmforth, and leather edge bumpers on the treble side. Bass is currently strung with Spirocore weich E/A/D, Zyex light G.

(FYI, the bow quiver isn't for sale; I just didn't want to take it off for the photos while I'm still using the bass.)

Additional photos of the bass here: http://s1220.beta.photobucket.com/user/etsob/library/Cleveland

I am asking [DEL]$5000[/DEL] $4800 for the bass. The bass and I are located in Seattle, WA, and I am willing to drive within a few hours for very interested parties. I am also able to ship the bass through Hammond Ashley Violins at an additional cost (I'm willing to split shipping with the buyer). Please feel free to PM with any questions. Thanks for looking!

Attached Files:

2. Matt Weiner

Matt Weiner

Dec 7, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Pm sent.

3. MaxJohnson

MaxJohnson Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    What are the upper & lower bout dimensions? It looks like the modern shape, not the one on the New Standard site.

4. kruthlane

kruthlane

Mar 13, 2013
    Saw your thread in TalkBass. I am working with New Standard for them to build a removable neck Cleveland hybrid. My summer campsite is either Friday Harbor, WA or Cape Kiwanda, OR. We winter in Hawaii. Getting a bass here is problematic...is yours still for sale? Any info on it would be appreciated. Mahalo, Tom

5. etsob

etsob Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Still for sale as of now!

6. Rocktometrist

Rocktometrist

Oct 3, 2012
    Seattle
    Sweet--I had the opportunity to see the previous owner of this bass play it a few times before it was for sale the last time around. It is an incredibly beautiful looking and sounding instrument. If I was looking for a bass with a laborie mod, I'd be all over it. This is TWICE I've drooled over this thing now!

Someone is going to be super happy with this bass. Good luck with the sale!

7. etsob

etsob Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks for the kind words Rock!

In response to Max's question, the upper bout is 21 1/8", lower is 26", in line with what is listed on the New Standard site. Guessing the photo just makes it seem a bit skinny.

8. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    I've seen, heard and played this bass and its a beauty! Everything you'd expect a New Standard Hybrid to be and maybe more... ;)

9. etsob

etsob Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks for the kind words, Jake! So much of the mojo of this bass is because of your work on it!

10. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Early Clevelands were somewhat more meaty in the upper shoulders. This may explain the visual discrepancy.

11. richhansen

richhansen Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Utah
    Endorser of the KSM Foundation Bridge.
    Do you have any mp3 samples of this bass? Am interested in it, but I'd like to hear what it sounds like.

12. etsob

etsob Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Working on it now--should have them posted later today!

13. etsob

etsob Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Here's a live sample. I tried to boost the bass solo parts so you can hear the instrument a bit more.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  14. etsob

etsob Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    St. Pat's weekend bump!

15. etsob

etsob Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    I've decided to include the padded Tuff Bag cover after all, no additional cost!

16. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I really want one of these!

17. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I'm trying to send you a pm, but the window keeps closing on me. Maybe my phone is trying to prevent me from buying this! Anyway, I'm interested, but would need to ship.

18. etsob

etsob Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Zulu--sent you a pm, let me know if you got it.

19. etsob

etsob Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Bump

20. Wish you'd come closer to Quebec.
    Good luck with the sale.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.