FS (no trades!): 97 G&L L-2500 Flamed Maple Blue Burst 5 String!

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by Quadzilla, May 7, 2005.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

SWEET 1997 USA made G&L L-2500 5 string Blue Burst with flamed maple top (a $550 option! see here --> G&L Option Price List ) MSRP on this bass is $2400 - $2500 (with the flamed maple option) if purchased new!!!

The Pictures REALLY don't do this bass justice. If I had better lighting when I took the pics, you'd really see just how mean this thing looks (not that it looks bad in the poor lighting shots below)! Oh that spot showing on the back of the bass on the horn is just my light reflecting, it's NOT a blemish!

Mine is a quite rare in that it's a transitional model according to G&L's Tony Petrilla. Mine was one of the first version 2 series L-2500's if not the first to roll off the line. This is verified by guitatrsbyleo.com's registry. Build date is May 97 on the body and neck and serial number CL01811. Being it was a transistional model, it also was made at the factory with some version 1 items and some version 2 items. It has the neck and body of a version 2 (3+2 headstock and newer body) but has the neck plate and string tensioner on the headstock of a version 1. According to Tony, these were only made for about 6 months and not many rolled off the line this way and even less with the flamed maple with blue burst (only this and one other that we can trace). It is visually STUNNING!

For those of you who know nothing of G&L, Leo Fender and George Fullerton started G&L after they sold Fender to CBS and didn't like how CBS was running it. They went back the the "old school" way of building basses and guitars by hand (like the old Fenders) and they are still made this way to this day. Leo Fender is quoted as saying that his G&L creations are his best yet an evolution and improvement over his original Fender designs (not an easy feat)!

I just had it setup by a G&L tech and it plays GREAT (when I got it, it was just ok)! VERY low action, NO buzz, very fast neck. The intonation was set too and it's PERFECT! All of the electronics were just cleaned as well. I also just put brand new strings on it (D'Addario Chromes). It is the best playing bass I have ever had by far (and I've had a ton of them).

The ONLY reason that I am selling her is because the spacing of the L-2500 (like a jazz bass). I have big hands and need wider spacing. The spacing on this is fairly standard for a 5...

Any of you that know anything about the L-2500 know that it's a tone monster and EXTREMELY versitile. Tons of options with the switches, knobs, etc. You can get the sound of a Fender P-bass, a Fender Jazz and even close to a Musicman Stingray 5 depending on what you do with the knobs and switches!

Serious inquiries only. It's in great shape but I'll give you ALL of the details here. Has some minor surface wear scratches on the top that can't even be seen in pics and that are in the clear coat only, not in the paint. These can be rubbed out with a fine compound (3M makes some great products for this). It also has one very small ding in the top that you really have to look for to see. There is a slight amount of belt buckle rash on the back (again, can't even be seen in the pics). It really is in great shape, but I want to be ULTRA descriptive here and disclose everything.

Don't miss your chance to get this rare G&L. This is not your everyday L-2500. I've only seen one other blue burst with a flamed top like mine in all of my hunting on the internet, etc. You probably will never see another one like this again and this one plays EXCEPTIONALLY well and has a very tight and well defined B string!

Brand New Case Included - Warwick universal case, wood with tolex covering, leather ends, locking with 4 heavy duty hinges, metal feet on bottom and side. Looks just like a G&G!

As many of you know, I've sold basses, head etc here on TB and have perfect feedback (see feedback forum) as well as 100% feedback on Ebay (over 90 buys and sells).

$900 shipped in lower 48....
  2. Quadzilla

That's a reflection of a light on the horn, not a blemish or chip
  3. Quadzilla

PM replied to but it looks like the bass sold very early this a.m. on da bay (which I did not post a link to the auction here per the forum rules). Got $1085 there (was asking $900 here from my fellow TBers). I didn't expect anybody to do a buy it now at that price but they did. Sorry and Thanks!