1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FS: Nordy VJ5 Modern

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Justyn, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Justyn

Justyn

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Picked this up in a trade recently and I cannot say enough good things about it, but I have a pair of sick dogs and their health comes first.

Here's a link to the original thread.

If you don't feel like clicking through, here are the details:

VJ5 Modern, 21 frets, 34.5" scale

- Swamp ash body, natural finish. Nice grainage

- Madagascar rosewood fingerboard (resembles Brazilian rosewood more than Indian)

- Passive Nordstrand Big Singles, 60s position

- Vol/Vol/Tone layout

- Brand new (2012 model) Stellartone tone control, 16 point notched. Original tone control pot included.

- On/off mute switch (much more convenient than rolling off 2 volume controls.)

- "Producer switch." Clarifies mids, articulates the bottom end and brings a transparent shimmer to the high end. (Okay, it does nothing at all, but that's what I told our recording engineer.)

- Between 8 and 9 lbs. Carey called this one "stupid light".

- Bootsy Collins' autograph on the back of the headstock.

Asking $1900 shipped in a TKL hardshell case. I do need to raise a good bit of cash, but I could do a partial trade.

Attached Files:

2. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I'd love to have it back! :)

Sorry about your dogs, though :(

3. Justyn

Justyn

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    All yours if you want it ;)

4. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    Producer switch- thats freakin hillarious! A placebo for over controlling sound
    Engineers!

5. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I can't buy it back but I can definitely help your cause be known.

It's a fantastic bass!

6. Justyn

Justyn

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    I believe Lee Sklar pioneered the 'producer switch'. If I was going to hold on to the bass I think I'd look into using the extra switch for a series/parallel option (like the Fender S1), which I had on a Jazz bass and really liked.

- thanks

7. Justyn

Justyn

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Bump!

8. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Hey Justyn, are you only looking to trade for 5'ers?

9. Justyn

Justyn

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    [DEL]
    I'm open to 5s, 4s, 6s, though I do tend to favor fretless as that's about 99% of what I do (turned down a trade for a lovely Jazz Bass just the other day). Also open to lightweight amp heads, cabinets, etc. etc. Just trying to make sure I get some cash out of any deal I make, per the original intent of selling it.[/DEL]

Edit:

I took another look at the vet expenses I need to cover + what I'm forecasting will come up in the coming weeks and I think I'm going to have to go back to this just being for sale. I can take a little bit in trade, but I need to stay focused on the original goal.

- thanks

10. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Actually that goes to Tommy Tedesco, I believe. But Lee's the guy on bass who's known for it. Also myself. In fact, I'm gonna make that mod myself soon.

11. rodneyat

rodneyat

Apr 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Cool bass...My guess...this bass originally had Dual Coils or Fat Stacks in it. And the switches were coil taps. Then someone put Big Singles in it and did not need the switches anymore. It is nice to have a mute switch though.

12. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Good guess, but I am the original owner and I ordered it just as you see it now. Big singles were stock. Carey got a good chuckle when I asked for the producer's switch. He said it's the only Nordy that has it ;)

The mute switch is the best thing ever!

13. rodneyat

rodneyat

Apr 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Haha! That's awesome!

14. Justyn

Justyn

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    I was pleasantly surprised at how useful the mute switch is. And I quickly developed a habit of flicking the Producer switch before big fills or solos. Cracked my guitar player up every time.

15. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Hey Justyn, I've got half my bass sold.;) What is your take on the 'Stellartone'.

16. Justyn

Justyn

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Hot diggity!

Ahem :)

I cut my teeth on a Jazz bass, (and then I discovered the internet, and it was all downhill from there) so I'm very used to having a traditional tone pot. The Stellartone took a little getting used to, but now that I've gotten used to it, I'm really fond of it. I do kind of wish they still made a smooth-rotation version, but I've gotten used to the feel of the notched rotation and tonally there's a lot of flexibility over a traditional tone pot.

I'm still exploring the various degrees/flavors of high-cut that the Stellartone offers, and I don't know that I'll ever get over not being to roll it off with my pinky, but overall, I'd say it's a pretty useful addition, particularly to a passive instrument.

Hope that helps.

J.

17. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    As I understand it, the Stellartone has kind of a resonance peak at the cutoff frequency rather than just rolling off the tone, is that right? So that way it gets a more forward growly sound than just rolling off the tone?

18. Mr. Majestic

Mr. Majestic Majestic Wood Supply Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2005
    From Louisiana/In Arkansas
    Majestic Swamp Ash
    Do have any pics of the back? Also, how old is this bass.....serial number?
    btw, that swamp ash for the body came from me! :)

19. Basso Gruvitas

Basso Gruvitas Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth TX
    ...if it came from you, wouldn't you know what the back looks like?;)

just sayin'

20. Mr. Majestic

Mr. Majestic Majestic Wood Supply Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2005
    From Louisiana/In Arkansas
    Majestic Swamp Ash
    Hahaha, I know what the unfinished, unglued blank piece of ash looks like, but not that particular piece all "pretty'ed" up.