1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS ONLY: 1984 G&L El Toro Black/Maple

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by bassvirtuoso, Mar 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bassvirtuoso

bassvirtuoso My God, it's full of chrome! Gold Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Nebraska
    Ok, next up on the moving sale:

1984 G&L El Toro

-Perfect condition!
    -Some minimal headstock chipping at the "eye gouger"
    -Light swirling and scratches on the back side
    -Nice light 9lb range, mid 9's at the most
    -Duncan Straplocks installed
    -Most likely a Maple Body, perfect paint throughout!
    -Maple board, very comfy neck!

Price: $850 plus shipping to the USA only. I'll accept Money Orders, maybe Paypal if you've got high enough feedback.

NO TRADES

Image from Rock N Roll Vintage (Chicago, IL):
    1984-GL-El-Toro-Black-Big.gif

My less impressive pics:
    ElToroHeadstock.gif

ElToroBackScratches.gif

2. Bulltrout

Bulltrout Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Alberta
    That's it, I'm moving to the U.S! Nice.

3. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    i like this.

4. bassvirtuoso

Feb 28, 2006
    Nebraska
    I'm willing to ship to Canada if you're willing to pay actual shipping costs. I don't think they have any weird package requirement rules there...

5. Beauty!

-GB

6. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    If you had to compare the neck to a fender, would i be more P or more J?

7. bassvirtuoso

Feb 28, 2006
    Nebraska
    1 11/16th Neck Width

But it feels very comfortable for a guy who loves Thunderbird/Jazz Necks. It has by far the best G&L neck I've felt. So I guess a little wide, but nice and thin(ish).

8. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    It used to be mine and I am still thinking about that neck. By far the best G&L neck I've had and I've owned about 10 of them. Sounds great too. A Jazz bass with balls.

And Dave is a great guy to deal with.

9. BobBbass

BobBbass

Oct 17, 2007
    I like your description of the neck....I've always been the Jazz neck guy (short fingers, huge palms). So, could a an old guy like me with fat hands chase notes up and down this fretboard? I'm in the running for a JB-2, but this has caught my eye!!!:bassist::bassist:

10. Asomodai

Asomodai

Jan 21, 2006
    London UK
    I really need this bass.. However considering i am in the UK :( I have money coming in a month, on the unlikely assumption it does not sell by then, would you consider international shipping?

11. BobBbass

BobBbass

Oct 17, 2007
    How about a case? How about shipping to Dayton OH? Thanks! I'm close to the edge of BUYING!!:cool:

12. El Tookay

El Tookay Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2008
    Vancouver
    Dave, please reserve the right to come to your senses :D

Are ya sure you want to get out of the Toro club? You're gonna miss it...every time I think about selling mine ( I believe you know the one :p ), I gig it, and it just kicks my arse. Don't need no stinkin' jazz bass with the Bull around.

13. Bass Junkie

Bass Junkie

Nov 3, 2009
    Florida
    In 1984 G&L basses were either ash or alder, and they may have used some mahogany, but I think those ended in '83. They usually put the maple necks with ash bodies, but given the weight and solid color it's probably alder.

14. bassvirtuoso

Feb 28, 2006
    Nebraska
    Ok, let's see here:

@lmfreeman: Thanks bud! I wish I could keep this, and he's right, this neck will haunt your dreams!

@BobBBass: Does have a period (80's) correct case. Not the original though. Shipping to Dayton, OH would NOT be higher than 40 bucks, that I'll promise you.

@ElTookay: I know I know! I looked for one forever, but I'm a die-hard Gibson guy now and I need cash for my move down south now...

@BassJunkie: I've learned with Leo Fender (either at Fender or G&L) never say never! They've used anything from ash and alder, or basswood and maple and mahogany in those early years. Lmfreeman and I took a look and with the tight grain and little body we could see, we decided on maple. It's believable that it *could* be alder, but I did see a maple bodied '83 or '84 natural on here a few months ago.

15. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Columbus, IN
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)
    From a description of an Identical '83 El Toro from : http://www.ggjaguar.com/etp.htm

The bass shown here is even more unusual because it has a maple body. G&L mainly used maple for the economy SB-series basses, but occassionally used it on the professional model basses through 1991.

With Leo nothing is "Normal" or "Ordinary"...

16. Bass Junkie

Bass Junkie

Nov 3, 2009
    Florida
    I remember seeing that bass now. I've owned a slew of old G&L basses and read up quite a bit. That one and the one here for sale are the only ones I've ever seen. Can't recall of them ever using basswood however on the professional series basses. Any info on that?

17. JAMBASS78

JAMBASS78

Mar 21, 2008
    Chicago,IL

18. I've never seen or played a basswood or alder Leo-era G&L. Every one I've ever had in my hands has been ash, maple, or mahogany. I always assumed that BBE added alder into the mix in 1992. And I think they may have made some basswood w/ maple-top ASAT guitars at some point, but I've never knowingly seen a basswood pro-series bass--although I've suspected that some of the swirl finishes may have been over basswood....

-GB

19. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I recently grabbed an '87 L2000 that just KILLS. These old G&Ls are special instruments. This is a HELL of a deal. I'd be all over it if I hadn't just grabbed the L2000.

20. bassvirtuoso

Feb 28, 2006
    Nebraska
    SOLD Pending Payment, thanks guys!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 1, 2020

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.