1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD FS Only: Ken Smith BSR5J - 1999, Swamp Ash Body & Single Coil Pickups

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Bassology, Mar 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bassology

Bassology

Feb 2, 2006
    East Van
    Up for grab is my 1999 Ken Smith BSR5J bass which I had traded down a Benavente for. A great example of Ken's work, even without the fancy tops. The bass is made out of Swamp Ash body, 3-piece Maple neck, Pau Ferro fingerboard, and single coil pickups that were specially wound by Bill Lawrence. The EQ's are Smith BMT 9 volt Circuit.

The bass sounds great and plays wonderfully. It has a tone close to a 70's Jazz but with a bit more emphasis on the mid low, much in line with a regular Smith when its preamp is utilized. Overall, it is in excellent condition (8.5/10). Some typical player marks as it is not a closet special. Also, there's a crack in the neck pickup cover that is stable and does not cause any issues. The feel of the bass is simply amazing, with a fast neck and a tone that just lasts for days.

For those interested, the bass is 9.2lbs according to my digital bathroom scale. That's 1 to 1.5lbs lighter than most of Smith out there. :)

I am looking for $1950 fee free (ie, Cash, Postal MO, E-Check, etc...) shipped Canada and USA w/ an old gigbag.

**Update April 1st, 2013: I might be interested in trading my Smith down if you have a Carvin Icon 5 or Brian Bromberg Signature 5 + minimal $1000 coming to me.

Attached Files:

2. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    My favorite Smith!

3. Man, I'm diggin this!

4. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Spacing and nut measurement, please?

5. Bassology

Bassology

Feb 2, 2006
    East Van
    Same as other US Smith models
    - String Spacing @ Nut: 9mm (23/64")
    - String Spacing @ Bridge: 18mm (23/32")

6. Bassology

Bassology

Feb 2, 2006
    East Van
    Just put on a brand new set of Dean Markley SR2000, man, this bass kills. I guess I will be keep this bass for now.....until the next wave of GAS hits me again. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.