1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FS only: Mint Tacoma CB-105C 5-string Acoustic w/pre, OHSC, and extras

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by BartmanPDX, Jul 18, 2007.

1. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

SOLD!!!

My new dream bass arrived last week, and now it's sadly time to "thin the herd" and put one of my beloved basses up for sale. :(

Up for sale is a 2005 Tacoma Thunderchief 5-string ABG with the deluxe hardshell case (about the best case of any of my basses), onboard E4 Fishman Prefix Plus preamp, a custom-made Pimentel Feedback buster, and case extras (fatfinger to improve sustain, and a case humidifier). Solid wood throughout: Sitka spruce top, mahogany back, sides, and neck. Amazing tone, and loud for an ABG. New, these sell for just over $1K with the case. IMO, this is one of the best acoustic basses on the market, and one of the few with enough volume to keep up with an acoustic guitar player.

The whole package:
    IMG_0426.

You can see the feedback buster laying on top of the Tacoma in the above photo. It does help control feedback (always a problem, as the very resonance that makes the Tacoma such a relatively loud ABG also can cause feedback), though the notch control works best in controlling feedback. Using the notch filter and the feedback buster together works quite well. The feedback buster was custom-made out of rosewood for the bass, and has a foam backing that allows it to stay in the hole using friction. Here is a pic of it in place:

IMG_0429.

Here's a closeup of the onboard Fishman preamp (output jack is in the endpin at the bottom of the bass):
    IMG_0420.

Anyway, this was a gift from my wife, but she's fine with me selling it. I can't find a scratch or ding on it. Never gigged, only out of my house two or three times. I'm selling it mainly because I have to sell something, and it just doesn't get played much. Fantastic tone. Currently strung with Labella Black Nylon tapewounds, which reduce the volume dramatically, but also control the finger noise that the original bronze strings had that drove me nuts. It was also loud as hell with those bronze strings -- my wife would ask me to play it more quietly. :p I was going to put some TI flats on it as a change but never got around to it. The nylon strings sound fantastic, though are pretty quiet.

IMG_0417.

The neck is straight, the action is good, but the string spacing is pretty narrow. The B string is tight and serviceable but not thunderous -- that's just due to physics -- it has a big body, but not THAT big! :)

IMG_0419.

Other photos:

IMG_0423.
    Mahogany back, with bolt-on neck

IMG_0421.
    Solid one-piece Mahogany neck and peghead

IMG_0424.
    Neck is very easy to play, though the spacing is narrow for a 5-string.

Even the case (with raised lettering) is in near-mint functional and cosmetic condition:

IMG_0425.

SOLD!!!

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    sigh ... at least it's not the 5L ...

3. BartmanPDX

Yeah, something's got to go. There are no "good" choices as to what to sacrifice, just some I can endure the loss of better than others. :(

The 5L stays, though. :D

Looks like the Dargie Stingray will be the next victim, in all likelihood, mainly because I haven't really had the chance to bond with it.

FWIW, I saw another Tacoma 5-string just like this one on the wall of my local store, sporting a price tag of $1215. I didn't ask if the price included the good case or not.

4. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    $750 is a great price for this. The recent run of awesome gear being sold here is really killing me. I either need to drop some other hobbies or stop reading the classifieds. :)

5. BartmanPDX

LOL. I've been thinking the same thing!!! Reading the classifieds was what started all this in the first place. :scowl:

OTOH, I'm now the proud owner of an insanely nice Sadowsky PJ/JJ as a result. :D

6. Nice looking bass. Is that the outline of a pickguard on the front?

Ken

7. BartmanPDX

Thanks. There is a kind of thin clear plastic pickguard stuck on the front, which I think some people have removed. I didn't try -- I think it's on there pretty good. It's not terribly noticeable unless you look at the bass at an angle. Straight on, it's pretty subtle. :meh:

8. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    PM sent.

9. BartmanPDX

Still available, and I found the original shipping box, which is a good thing, since it's a pretty large thing when it's in its case -- won't fit into a regular bass box.

Price of $750 includes Fedex ground shipping, insured, signature required, to the lower 48.

I had a question about the truss rod and action -- it arrived from the factory just the way I like it, with medium action, so I haven't touched the truss rod at all since it came brand new.

The action is definitely higher than on a regular electric bass. This is mainly because the nut and bridge are a little higher, not due to there being too much relief in the neck. I checked last night and the relief looks perfect. I can only guess that the reason for sitting the nut and bridge higher has to do with tone . . .

10. Peredur

Peredur

Jul 7, 2002
    Wales
    PM'ed you have been

11. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    A bump from back east...

12. BartmanPDX

Shouldn't you be busy getting married or something? :p

13. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Thats on Saturday. We had the Shower today. What fun...:rolleyes:

My god she has soooo many relatives (aunts, uncles, cousins, oh my...)

14. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I presume you are not interested in any trades? Because I have recently decided that I could use a 5-string ABG, but I have also recently committed myself to selling off some gear (trades are a grey area within my self-imposed rules :ninja:).

Tom.

15. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    PM Sent....

16. JayAmel

JayAmel Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    Please don't forget to remove prior bumps. I just removed two. Thanks.

17. BartmanPDX

This bass is now sold and will shortly be on its way to Alabama.

Thanks, Mike!!!