1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD FS only: Nordstrand NX5 - one of a kind.

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by drgregn, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drgregn

drgregn Granddude Supporting Member

May 13, 2002
    Denton, TX
    Nordstrand NX5 - one of only a few in existence.

Len_close_front.

Reluctant to sell, but I will be getting my custom NX6 back, so I don't need both. This bass plays and sounds BETTER than it looks, if you can believe that. One of Carey's best ever. And if you didn't know, he is not currently making customs anymore, (although I hear he may do a limited version in the future).

From the Nordstrand website gallery section: "The northern ash body and spalted maple top in conjunction with the birdseye maple fretboard give this bass a smooth and focused sound with plenty of warmth, especially when delivered through a set of Nordstrand Fat Stacks and an Audere preamp. The pickup covers and tone control knobs were made from spalted maple as well and add a unique dimension to the instrument's look. The black veneer line offers an elegant detail which sets this bass apart even further from many other custom instruments."

Knobology is (from bridge to neck): bass cut/boost, low mid cut/boost, high mid cut/boost, treble cut/boost, pan, volume. The first switch is for the Audere Z-mode and (I believe) the second is a coil tap for the FatStacks. No cosmetic or functional issues with this bass - the usual minimal playing swirlies but no dings/dents, etc.

$2750 professionally packed and shipped with insurance to lower 48. USPS money orders preferred, Paypal OK but you pay $75 shipping cost. No international sales, please.

I'll try to get some new pics made later this weekend or next week. Bass looks exactly the same, though.

links to more pics below:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y149/drgregn/Nordstrand NX5/Len_front_full.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y149/drgregn/Nordstrand NX5/Len_headstock_full.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y149/drgregn/Nordstrand NX5/Len_close_back.jpg

2. Bump for a GREAT guy to do business with.
    This bass was mine for a short time. It is STUNNING in person.
    The new owner will be very happy. :hyper:

3. SMIFFMAN

SMIFFMAN

Dec 29, 2007
    Beautiful!!! ...But how much does weigh?!?!?

4. hasadari

hasadari Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Spectacular !!!!

5. EduardoK

EduardoK

Jun 28, 2004
    Beautiful !!!
    Scale length?

6. drgregn

May 13, 2002
    Denton, TX
    Hmmm... don't have a shipping scale - will try to weigh on bathroom scale when I get a chance. I would estimate between 9 & 10 lbs, not the lightest bass I own, but certainly no boat anchor either.

Thank you! 34.5 in.

7. drgregn

May 13, 2002
    Denton, TX
    bump... would consider trades for NYC Sadowsky 5's.

8. EduardoK

EduardoK

Jun 28, 2004
    Hard to believe this is still here. A custom built by Carey's own hands and at this price!:eek:

9. drgregn

May 13, 2002
    Denton, TX
    Thanks, Eduardo - times are tough for many right now, and there are a lot of nice basses for sale. But you are correct, there are not many of these (none exactly like this AFAIK) and there won't be any more, either.

Hmmm... maybe I should keep it. :bag:

10. R Baer

R Baer Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 5, 2008
    President, Baer Amplification
    This is one of the most amazing looking basses I have ever seen! If I win the Lotto this weekend, I'll let ya know.

11. EduardoK

EduardoK

Jun 28, 2004
    Yep. I owned two Nordstrand SCs and sold one thinking I didn't need both.
    After two years I still kick myself e v e r y d a y ! ! !:crying::crying::crying:

12. drgregn

May 13, 2002
    Denton, TX
    I hear ya. Even so, bass is now back on the market. Much as I'd like to keep it, I have to admit I really don't need it given the rest of my stable, which is quite sufficient.

Reasonable cash offers will be considered. No trades, please.

13. Samjay

Samjay

Jan 28, 2007
    Any sound clips? Thanks

14. drgregn

May 13, 2002
    Denton, TX
    None right now, sorry. I can record some representative tracks, but I'm working throughout the weekend and it will be at least the end of next week before I'll have the time.

15. +1 for the sound clips

16. Supertanker

Supertanker Watch the dog! He is trained to bite!

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
    Bump.

My favorite bass design.

One day I'll have one...

17. drgregn

May 13, 2002
    Denton, TX
    Well, it COULD be as soon as next week! :D

18. Supertanker

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
    That's an excellent point!

I could sell my 3 Laklands (two of which are new) and pickup your NX5...:eek:

19. drgregn

May 13, 2002
    Denton, TX
    Well, sometimes even the most inspired, life-changing decisions don't seem to make perfect financial sense at the time... :bag:

20. Supertanker

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
    Your logic is impeccable!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.