1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS Only: Reverend Rumblefish XL and Reverend Rumblefish 5L

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by BartmanPDX, Oct 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Get yer fresh fish here! :)

Edit: The Red XL is SOLD, but the 5L is still looking for a home.

I sure do hate to part with some of my beloved Reverends, but since I just got my dream Reverend PJ in Lava Swirl and just bought a Rob Allen, these two have to go . . .

IMG_0819.

First up is a 2000 Reverend Rumblefish XL. It comes with an original b/w teardrop Reverend hard case in decent condition – a few small tears in the tolex. The color is called “blood” and there were just six basses of this model made in that color. It is a basic red (not orangey or purplish) but is darker than the primary color. It looks cool on stage since it doesn’t wash out. This one has a skunk stripe neck, which is preferred by some people and marks it as an earlier bass. The neck is very much like a standard jazz, and is wonderfully rounded over like all Reverend necks.

IMG_0821.

The controls are vol/tone/three-way switch. The controls on the switch are: up = parallel (similar to a Jazz bass in tone, but with a little more bottom end); middle = single coil (neck pickup – similar to a P-bass tone); down = series – (one giant humbucker for a massive tone). As with all Reverends, it’s passive, and it has no hum except in single coil mode. The pickups are very hot and dynamic. Lots of great tones in this bass.

The only issue with this bass was that it was initially shipped to me in a Reverend gig bag, and during that shipment, a dent occurred in the fretboard near the 16th fret on the G string by the string being pushed into the board. That dent has been professionally filled by a tech and is not obvious unless you look closely at it. There are also marks on the frets near the dent, but they don’t affect play. There is one fret (the top one) which is slightly high but only affects the second highest note on the bass. Two minutes with a file would likely fix it, but I haven’t messed with it myself or taken it to anyone. Otherwise this bass plays very well, and has that great tone. I’ve gigged it several times, and the three-way switch makes changing tones really quick and easy.

IMG_1526.

(Obviously it's the one on the left -- the Lava PJ is why I'm selling it)

I was planning on putting the original silver PG back on the bass, but I could ship it with the b/w/b PG that’s on the bass now if the buyer wanted. I could also put a gold PG I have on instead. Your choice.

The second bass up for sale is a 1999 Reverend Rumblefish 5L. It was only the 8th five-string bass that Reverend made, and is initialed by Joe Naylor himself. It is in immaculate condition and comes with the original older-style red-fur-lined b/w teardrop Reverend hard case. The case is in very good condition. It is slightly larger than the bass, so I will pack the bass inside the case as well as packing the case well in the box.

IMG_0707.

IMG_0708.

R5L #8!!

IMG_0035.

This was the first Reverend I’d ever tried, and the one that started my love affair with them. It has one of the finest five-string necks I’ve ever played – wonderfully rounded and very comfortable. It is the last of my five-string basses, and if I ever go back to fivers, I’ll be kicking myself for letting it go more than anything else. But I can’t see myself playing a five-string soon, and I really, really wanted a Rob Allen. GAS is tough, huh?

IMG_0032.

35” scale, great rounded neck. String spacing is medium-narrow. Controls are similar to the XL -- up = parallel (broadly similar to a Jazz bass in tone, but with a little more bottom end); middle = single coil (bridge pickup only – midway in tone between a P and a bridge J); down = series – (one giant humbucker for a massive tone). On mine, the single coil position uses the bridge pickup, which is unusual as most 5Ls have the neck pickup instead, but it could easily be wired either way. It’s currently strung with TI Jazz flats, but as it is my last 5-string, it will come shipped with two brand new sets of strings – Sadowsky black label stainless, and Thomastik Infeld Power bass stainless -- that you can try with the bass. It’s one of the few basses I’ve ever played that sounds great with flats or rounds, and thanks to the slanted pickups, has the most wonderfully even tone string-to-string. I WILL miss this one.

I’m looking for $900 shipped for either bass. Paypal is great.

Edit: My daughter is doing OK again. Thanks for all the kind wishes!

2. BartmanPDX

Looks like the Red XL is sold to TheLarch.

How to identify trees from a very long way away . . . :D

3. Bump because I'll be frying me up some dee-licious Red Snapper very soon! :hyper:

4. Daktari

Daktari

Mar 25, 2008
    US APO NY
    Ugghhh..

You are not going to eat it are you?

5. Dee-man

Dee-man Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Howdy. Are the tuners and bridge on the 5L stock or hipshot? Is it possible to post pics of back of neck and back of body/neck? Thx, DM

6. BartmanPDX

AFAIK, the tuners and bridge are stock, and the tuners aren't hipshots. I think they're Gotoh. I know hipshots were offered as an upgrade option on the 5L, but I'm not sure if they did that at first. I've only seen one or two of the 5Ls with hipshots, though they were standard on the BH5. I don't know about the bridge.

I can probably take some pics of the back. I'll see what I can do.

7. BartmanPDX

Pics of the back:

IMG_1558.

IMG_1560.

IMG_1563.

Looks like I was getting some funky shadow from the tripod in those pics. The back of the bass has no marks/stains.

Weight is 9.0 lbs. on digital scale. There's a weight near the bridge to counter neckdive from the hollow body.

8. Dee-man

Apr 6, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Thanks a lot, esp. for the pics. Between yours and Chef's BH5, got lots of thinkin' to do. DM

9. BartmanPDX

No problem. They're both great basses. If I hadn't already bought a Rob Allen MB-2 this week, I wouldn't be selling this.

10. Dee-man

Apr 6, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Congrats on the Rob Allen. What did you get? I'm lucky enough to have a Mouse and a MB-2 5er (34" scale). You'll no doubt enjoy yours a lot.

All this Reverend stuff has got me GASing for a fretted 5. I'm torn between the 5L and the BH5 but have played/seen neither (or any other Rev for that matter). I like what I've read and the fact that's it's a hollow body. I think the 5L would be easier to play/more comfortable for my small hands, but the BH5 is more versatile. Decisions decisions. If this was purple I'd have pulled the trigger already. I'm also about 5'5" tall and have read the body of the Reverend can be a bit clunky and uncomfortable since it's not contoured at all. Any thoughts on that? Thx again, DM

11. BartmanPDX

I bought the MB-2 Junamoro was selling. Maple, not fancy, but I've wanted one for a long time.

The body on the Rev. is not rounded off. There is a banjo guard on the body where your forearm contacts it, which for me is quite comfortable. I am, however, 6'3" and thus can't comment on how it would feel for you. If you dance around a lot it might not be the best, but I haven't noticed anything personally.

The necks on the BH5 and 5L are similar -- both are well-rounded on the sides and are medium to slightly more than medium thickness. The BH5 has slightly wider spacing on the strings and a little wider neck, but it's not an enormous difference.

The BH5 has more tonal versatility but I might prefer the raw single coil tone of the 5L more.

Both great basses. I will miss both of mine, but I just don't play fivers much any more.

12. BartmanPDX

Visual for comparing the necks/spacing on the 5L and BH5:

IMG_0901.

13. Dee-man

Apr 6, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Wow! Thanks for the very helpful response. Very kind of you to post that pic too. Interesting you prefer the single coil sound of the 5L since I thought you could get single coil with the BH5, but I can see why they wouldn't sound the same (different pup location,etc.).

My first Rob Allen was a "standard" MB2-4 (maple top with cocobolo fretboard, I think) and was a real pleasure.

14. Dee-man

Apr 6, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Sorry, I forgot to ask: do you get any cycle hum on this bass? If so, what pup positions? Thx, DM

15. BartmanPDX

The single coil setting on the BH5 isn't quite the same as on the 5L. I'm terrible at describing tone; Chef might be able to help you with that. I think it does have a lot to do with pickup positions; also different design.

Hum is minimal and only present in single coil mode (only one pickup on). Parallel (my favorite) and series modes have no hum.

16. Dee-man

Apr 6, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Thanks for the reply.

17. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Bart: I'll delete this if you want, but here's a brief take on 5L vs BH5...

The 5L is it's own thing. Two traditional (though slightly overwound-read high output!) Jazz pickups, in un-tradtional positions.
    You have neck only, single coil. That's a fairly natural and identifiable Jazz Bass, neck pickup tone-with the caveat that the Rev materials and semi-hollow design do impact that some.
    Then, the dual coil modes come from using the two separate J pickups to form one big humbucker...which isn't in any "traditional position," since it's spread out. Tow J pickups, spread out over 3-4"...one big humbucker covering a lot of string vibration...see?
    The dual parallel mode has a tad less top end than the single coil mode, and a bit more low end beef. The dual coil series mode has much less top and; and waaaay more beef. Neither of the dual coil modes are much like any traditional Jazz tone.
    This is not "a qualitative thing," cause those modes do sound *killer!* It just ain't a Trad J thing.
    The 5L is a great bass, I have one, and I'm not parting with it;)

The BH5 has two "stacked Jazz humbucker" pickups (slightly underwound-not high output) in a much more traditional Jazz Bass location, and you can choose either neck or bridge pickups independently. The parallel and dual coil modes are sort of as above: parallel=a little more lows, a little less highs; dual= a lot more lows, a lot less highs. You can also mizx and match modes. Have one single coil, the other in either dual coil mode...and then use the volume control per pickup to blend these modes. Again: not a qualitative difference (as in BH is better than 5L); just a wider range, of a few more flavors, which are more recognizable as coming from the traditional Jazz Bass Family of Tones.

HTH-alan

18. Dee-man

Apr 6, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Thanks for the explanation, Chef. Again, thanks to you both. DM.

19. BartmanPDX

That's a very good explanation, Chef.

I'm glad you posted it, though it might have been useful to more folks around here if it had been posted in the Reverend club thread for all to see.

Still, it's a pretty good overview of two basses that few people have the chance to try side-by-side.

If my 5L takes a while to sell, I'm not bothered. I don't mind having it around for a while, though I'm trying not to play it as I really should sell it to offset the Rob Allen and I'm afraid if I play it again I'll be tempted to beg my wife to let me keep it. She's been wayyyy too indulgent of me already; no need to push my luck. :D

Some interest, but this beauty is still available.

20. BartmanPDX

Both fish are sold.

Thanks for your interest!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.