1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FS Only -- Sadowsky 51 P Bass Prototype

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by testing1two, Apr 3, 2009.

1. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    It pains me to do this but here it goes. My beloved Sadowsky #4224 is up for sale. Super light swamp ash body with the best 59 burst I've ever seen, Brazilian rosewood fingerboard, Sadowsky preamp w/VTC and one Sadowsky soapbar pickup. Strung with Sadowsky flatwounds. I have since added a Hipshot D-tuner and a Sadowsky PortaBag. I will add more photos this evening but for now, here are the Sadowsky stock photos of the bass. I bought this directly from Rob (it was the prototype) and it is mint. I won't gush about how great it plays and sounds...it's a Sadowsky and a very special one at that.

Price is $3000. Sorry, I can't do any trades on this one. I also can't do PayPal due to the excessive fees. If you're in L.A. you are more than welcome to inspect the bass. Please let me know if you have any questions.

PBass3.

PBass2.

PBass1.

2. stunning sadowsky!

3. BuffaloBob4343

BuffaloBob4343 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Oh how I wish I could!:crying::atoz::bawl:

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I'd like to hear you gush about how it sounds and feels.

What's the weight by the way? You say super light--is that like under 8 lbs?Gorgeous bass anyhow. I have no idea how that humbucker sounds but it sure looks like a nice istrument.

5. kittyboy

kittyboy Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    there's a pretty girl

6. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I believe, if you do a paypal eCheck the costs are controlled and much less... can't recall the specifics.

7. The Butler

The Butler

Oct 11, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    A Paypal e-check only has a fee of $5.00 for the person receiving the check. It takes 3-5 days to clear, but is well worth the wait. I always wait until I recieve the cleared from Paypal before shipping. Also, beautiful Sadowsky bass you have for sale.

8. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Beautiful Bass...

1.5 Nut? Right? What the fingerboard radius?

How would you describe the tone of that pick up?

Aj

9. testing1two

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    It is 1.5" at the nut. My bathroom scale died (which I take personally), but my guess is 8 lbs if not a little under. I don't have a radius guage for the fingerboard, but it looks like 10" to me. The soapbar pickup is really unique and there are a million sounds in this bass. I love the passive sound as it has all the woody qualities you want in an 'old' sounding instrument, especially with the vintage tone control. The preamp takes things to a place you don't expect. Incredible amounts of low end and super punchy. I've been tempted to exploit this sound by using roundwounds but I love the other sounds so much I just can't seem to bring myself to do it.

Sorry, I'm starting to gush. When I bought this bass I thought I would be buried with it.

10. ashtray9

ashtray9

Aug 1, 2002
    Tempe Arizona
    Must look great without the pickguard. I've never understood why you would want to hide most of the bass with plastic, especially in the days before bassists began using picks.

11. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Poly right? Nitro?

What's the control layout?

Aj

12. testing1two

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    Yes, I'm reasonably certain it's a poly finish but only because it hasn't yellowed (that's not to say it couldn't be nitro, but I never asked Rob when I bought it...call it love at first sight). The controls are volume, tone (pull for passive), concentric bass/treble.

13. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    What size frets?

Aj

14. testing1two

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    they are vintage size frets...narrow. Not quite the mandolin wire Lee Sklar likes, but definitely old school.

15. testing1two

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    Here are a few actual photos...they are not very good so I will try and mess with the camera and take some more tonight...but for now:

Sadowsky1.

Sadowsky2.

Sadowsky3.

Sadowsky4.

Sadowsky5.

16. testing1two

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    gratuitous bump

17. testing1two

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    PM's replied to. Sorry for the delay, my message notifications weren't working.

18. testing1two

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    Bump...buy this before I come to my senses.

19. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    Hot damn I wish I had the money for that :crying: