1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD FS Only: Super Nice Lakland Skyline 55-02D Amber

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Scott McArron, Jan 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This is the nicest Lakland 55-02 I've ever seen or played. (My girlfriend likes the cherry burst better, so I got one of those. :smug: It's not in the same league, but it works for me.) The build quality is superb and feels as good as all my old Mike Lulls, Sadowskys, and Fender Custom Shop basses. It really is that good.

I hope no one minds, but I figure this is a public forum so quotes and pics are public as well. I'm stealing some pics from another post because I'm too lazy to take my own. This bass used to be owned by a fellow TBer Tommixx and this is what he had to say about it (taken from this post):

"WOW...THIS is THE LAKLAND for me! I had a bunch of them JO's 44-02s, 4-94s, 55-02s, 55-94s, DJ4s, DJ5s, Duck Dunns, and THIS is the one that beats them all. BY FAR my favorite Lakland and one that I bought back 3 TIMES!!! LOL! I would love to have it again but I used to play it primarily on the Humbucker because I was trying to get a Ray sound...Well I now ONLY play Rays!...Go figure! This is the bass that helped me figure it all out. This one does a good Ray tone even but not THE Ray tone I am looking for. This one is lightweight, has GREAT Fretwork and attention to detail. Everybody who sees it comments on how beautiful it is. The pics really don't do it justice! The neck feels fantastic and is very smooth. The TONE! The TONE is just sick! GREAT sounding bass and I could get a lot of different tones out of it. I loved everything about it and still do but i prefer the Ray tone...I wish I had room to just buy it and keep it! Don't hesitate! THIS is THE finest specimen of a Lakland (out of almost 100) that I have ever held in my hands! PERIOD!"

Here are some pics of her to drool over (the first one is actually mine. That's my ugly arm there):

LaklandOld.
    LaklandOld2.
    LaklandOld3.
    LaklandOld5.

Because this one is so good, I'm asking a little more than the typical going rate (it's very close to what I paid for it as well). I'm asking 1200 shipped to lower 48. Firm on price, since this bass is just killer and not your typical Skyline. I feel stupid for selling this off for an inferior bass, but I just like to change things up every now and again. It keeps things fresh and exciting.

The ONLY trade I would consider would be for one of the new Tecamp Puma 500 or 900 amps in the single unit size.

Edit: I can ship it with a Lakland hardcase if you like. And the weight is just about 10 lbs, give or take an ounce or two on either side. My digital scale is not very accurate, but I remember weighing it on another scale before and got exactly 10, FWIW. Balances great!

2. Man that is sweet. I might have traded you for the cherry burst, oh well.

3. Damn, I woulda done it, man. But I did want to put the cherry one through a gig or two first before I let go of a bass this special. It was a tough decision, but my vanity got the best of me. Love the cherry burst one, it's really dark like fire and coals. I named her Flamey. :p

4. PMs replied. Original post edited where shown.

5. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I totally agree with this - and I've owned and/or played several Skylines (I'm personally on #4 at this point).

I'm the person who bought this from Tom and I was stupid to ever let it get away. I only sold it because I was getting out of 35" basses. I still don't play them, but I'm still tempted to buy this back because it feels and sounds so good.

Assuming nothing has happened to it in the couple times it's changed hands, $1200 is a great price for this bass. Congrats in advance to whoever pulls the trigger. :)

6. On hold.

7. I'd love to have her back if she is not sold! Let me know if she is! I have been looking for her for a while...

Peace,

T

8. Haha, that's too funny! Going for round 4? ;):D There's another guy that wants me to hold it until we can talk on the phone about it. We'll see how that goes. I'll let ya know!

9. Actually I think this would be the 5th time I have owned her. I would definitely take her if we can work something out!

Peace,

T

10. Status change to pending payment. Sorry, Tommixx. I wish I would've thought to ask you if you wanted her again before putting her up for sale. 5 times? Wow! I'll let you know if the deal falls through and who bought it so you can PM them if they change their mind in a few months. ;)

11. Missed her again by that much! LOL! It's all good! She will eventually come home...Thanks and God Bless!

Peace,

T

12. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    I owned this bass for a while, and like everyone else here I regret I ever sold it. This is the perfect sounding 55-02. I would love to own this bass again. I have no need for it whatsoever as I just bought a new 55-02 that is fairly close to this one, but had I seen this earlier I probably would have snagged it. I'm a bit heart broken.

13. I'm sure I'll regret it, too. But dang, I do love the cherry burst. Call me vain. ;P

14. Sold! Thanks for all the great comments guys! I'm sure gonna miss this bass. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.