1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD FS;ONLY TOBIAS Model T 5 pre-Nashville #79 of 110 made

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by basspro557, Apr 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. basspro557

basspro557 Banned

Jul 20, 2005
    Miami
    Here i have a Tobias Model T 5 #79 of 110 made in 1991.
    This pre-Nashville bass is one of the rarest of all the Mike Tobias basses. Only 110 basses were made. Due to Mike Tobias being backlogged on production, all of the Model T basses were sourced to and built by Mike Pedulla.
    The body-wings are a Beautiful highly figured Birdseye Maple with High Gloss finish with a multi laminate maple neck with the center stringer being flamed. This bass has similar wood build up / construction as the Basic model.
    Bartolini TBIBT pre-amp with Vol,pan,bass and treble.
    Comes with New set of Daddario pro steels installed.

I had some email' discussions with one of Mike Tobias’s key employees during that time and the following is his quote from on the pick-ups,,

“…the pickups in that bass are, in my opinion, the best Bartolini p/u’s ever. When I was at Tobias, we had just 1 of those in a drawer, and I liked the tone of it so much I used it as the prototype p/u for the Growler model. I ended up sending it to Bill Bartolini and told him to wind the Growler p/u by shoving 2 of these humbucker pickups into the 1 music-man pickup shell…and that became the growler’s “Quad-Coil” pickup…essentially what you just bought.”

This bass is in fantastic condition and looks way better in person. Its a high gloss finish thats hard to capture on film. Description detail as follows

The body wood and finish is in excellent condition. There is very light (and I mean very light!) player wear. There are a couple of small dings that seem to be more from an “oops”, than being excess wear. Overall it is really nice.
    The Fretboard is in excellent condition showing very light wear if any.
    The neck is perfect and straight.
    Frets are showing almost no wear.
    Tuning keys are excellent and work smooth.
    Electronics work like new – no issues! Pick-ups are the original Bartolini’s
    Comes with a heavy duty, well padded Levys gig bag.

No Trades,,,,,,,,,,,,No trades,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

1600 shipped for this Rare Bass shipped,

Attached Files:

2. basspro557

basspro557 Banned

Jul 20, 2005
    Miami
    More pictures,,,

Attached Files:

3. basspro557

basspro557 Banned

Jul 20, 2005
    Miami
    A few more pic.......

Attached Files:

4. basspro557

basspro557 Banned

Jul 20, 2005
    Miami
    More pictures,,,,,,,

Attached Files:

5. basspro557

basspro557 Banned

Jul 20, 2005
    Miami
    Last picture,,,,,,,,,,,,

Attached Files:

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Cool! Weight, scale length, string spacing at bridge, width of nut?

7. basspro557

basspro557 Banned

Jul 20, 2005
    Miami
    34 scale,,weiighs about 8 pounds,string spacing is 17 1/2 but not really sure.

8. basspro557

basspro557 Banned

Jul 20, 2005
    Miami
    Saturday morning bump...Still available dont let it get away these are almost impossible to find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. basspro557

basspro557 Banned

Jul 20, 2005
    Miami
    Easter morning bump,,,,,,,,,
    Jesus Christ is alive forever-more,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

10. Fretless Bill

Fretless Bill Supporting member

Sep 10, 2006
    Pacific NW
    I have one of these, serial # in the 70's. Great bass as a player as well as collectable.

11. basspro557

basspro557 Banned

Jul 20, 2005
    Miami
    Yes indeed Bill they are great basses but since they only made 110 many players no very little about them but they are in par with the Basic model pre-gibson's.
    The tone is very alive punchy and growly due to the specially designed Bartolini passive pick-ups.
    The Birdseye Maple body is stunning!! This bass will make someone very happy wish i could keep it but my Pre-gibson Classic 5 gets all of the work.

Take care,,

12. basspro557

basspro557 Banned

Jul 20, 2005
    Miami
    Here is a copy of the specs sheet from Burbank California.

Attached Files:

13. basspro557

basspro557 Banned

Jul 20, 2005
    Miami
    Cant believe no one is intrested????
    This bass blows away any Gibson Tobias!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offers?????? No Low-ballers i know what its worth so be reasonable.

14. evilgus

evilgus Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Don't suppose you have any recordings of it? I'm probably not in a position to buy, given I recently bought a pre-Gib Classic 5 and Basic 6, but as far as I'm concerned, the (back) door is always open to kick-ass examples of bassy goodness...

EG

15. basspro557

basspro557 Banned

Jul 20, 2005
    Miami
    EG,,I dont have any sound clips but the tone is very growly,BRIGHT and punchy.
    The pre-Gibson Basic,Classic and Sig have a sound thats Transparent because of the single coil pick-ups.
    The Model T;s have dual coils and have a throttier growly sound.

16. basspro557

basspro557 Banned

Jul 20, 2005
    Miami
    You guys missed out on a Great rare Tobias pre-Nashville bass at a great price.

Sold on Ebay!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.