1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

FS: Pair of Early MTD's

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by b15fliptop, Jan 3, 2012.

1. b15fliptop

b15fliptop Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Florida
    I used to be in the MI industry, and bought both of these from the original distributor for MTD, who have since closed their doors.
    MTD Beast 5-String ***SOLD***
    This is a somewhat rare instrument. Before MTD started making their stuff in Korea, they made a few in the same Czech factory that makes the NS Design uprights and Spector Euros (among others).

Metallic black, stock passive Bartolinis. One feature that makes this slightly more rare than other Beasts is that it sports a Rosewood fretboard, as opposed to the standard wedge or maple. Barely been used, in perfect condition, but a great bass! I will ship it in a nice, thick, padded gig bag. And a box, of course.

Asking $450 shipped via Parcel Post. Or Partial Post, as the lady at my local Post Office likes to call it.

Bigger pics here: https://picasaweb.google.com/brian.garrison.mail/BassesForSale?authuser=0&feat=directlink

IMG_0423. IMG_0434. IMG_0457. IMG_0428.

MTD Kingston 4-String
    MTD #2 is an early Korean. This is from the first batch of Kingstons. It has a single passive MM style pickup, basswood body, maple board. It is finished in Pearl White. This was my number one for quite a while, but it was very well taken care of. It is in just about perfect condition except for some very, very minor scuffs on the back. Nothing that wouldn't easily buff out. It has been strung with TI Jazz Flats almost since the beginning, so there is no appreciable fret wear. Great bass! Light, sounds great, looks cool in a slightly ostentatious way. Comes with a nice, thick, padded gig bag.

Looking for $350 shipped via Parcel Post.

IMG_0466. IMG_0471. IMG_0472. IMG_0475.

Same link as above for larger images.

2. Joe Milstein

Joe Milstein Commercial User

Dec 7, 2007
    Central New Jersey
    Gamma Bass Guitars
    Love these MTD basses. Had one, sold it, regret it!

3. bassguyky48

bassguyky48 Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Central KY./Danville
    I have 3 of the Korean MTD's. ........all 5 strings........they each have slightly different neck profiles . All of them start with 1 3/4's at the nut and end up over 3 inches at the last fret, it's the flatness of the neck (front to back) that's creates the difference with the oldest (2001) being the thinnest.

What is the width at the nut on your Czech made model? How is the neck profile?

Thanks and bump for a great bass and one that I would LOVE to own!!!

4. b15fliptop

Feb 17, 2004
    Florida
    Nut on the 5'er looks like 1 7/8". The neck profile is just a little bit slimmer than the Korean. I really love the MTD necks. If I didn't need the cash I wouldn't be selling these!

5. b15fliptop

Feb 17, 2004
    Florida
    Lots of interest, but still available!

6. T-birdfan

T-birdfan

Jan 29, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    PM sent on the 4 banger. Sorry, boys, she's mine.

7. 123321

123321 Bravely eating @ MacDonald's Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2004
    Virginia
    You "done" good!! I love those things!!

8. b15fliptop

Feb 17, 2004
    Florida
    Both still available. For some reason the forum didn't email me that there were PM's waiting for me, and the forum app didn't notify me either. Apologies to those I didn't get back to!

9. fullcircle

fullcircle Live your dreams

Jan 24, 2004
    Payment sent on the Beast 5

10. TorBass

TorBass

Nov 4, 2009
    Norway
    The Beast looks just like my 2000 Grendel...

11. b15fliptop

Feb 17, 2004
    Florida
    It's basically the same bass. They only made a limited run of Grendel's before deciding to roll it into the MTD line.