Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FS Peavey Max Preamp - Swiss Army Knife of dedicated Bass Preamps.

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by Hawkeye, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

I have a Peavey Max preamp that I'm not really using right now. It has two channels (solid state with graphic EQ, and tube channel with rotary control EQ).

The channels can be switched or even combined via a footswitch which maximizes the tonal variations that this thing can do. This is a perfect front-end piece to a live rig featuring separates.

I have played it live (with tube channel) going thru the power amp section of my Ampeg SVT3 Pro and it sounded like my Ampeg except maybe just a bit cleaner. it also has the ability to go dirty overdrive with the tube channel if you're looking for lots of character or just warm and present.

The 3-button Peavey footswitch also has EFX in/out which is pretty neat as well. The part number for the Max foot switch is 00078470 and the list price is $43.79

I upgraded the tube with an Electro Harmonix gold pin 12AX7 which didn't make a lot of sonic difference compared to the factory Sovtek (EH's are just premium Sovteks after all, I guess I had a good one to begin with).

I bought this used from a music store for recording and sold my Sans Amp BDDI after because the Peavey just sounded better. Why have tube emulation when you can have the real thing.

This preamp will take you from Geezer Butler overdrive to clean and glassy scooped slap EQ and everything in between.

I bought it for recording but realilzed I really wanted a channel strip with built in compression and mic preamp for vocals. I just bought a Focusrite TrakMaster, so the Peavey is now available. As is typical for this type of unit, there is a tiny bit of tube hiss which makes it difficult to use in a recording situation, but it's not even an issue for live work. That's why I went with the TrakMaster. If you do a search, you'll find a few rabid fans of the Max preamp here on Talkbass.

Price is $175.00 US plus shipping from Guelph, Ontario, Canada N1H 1C5. It's just a neat piece and for what it does I might just keep it as a backup to use at a big gig if I need multiple cabs and a power amp. But so far it's just sitting with my home studio stuff.

Here's a pic of the actual unit. It's got a few scratches but functionally is a 10.

Attached Files:

2. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Details and a Bump.

- Two channels
    - Tube/solid-state bass preamp
    - Input jack w/ -10dB pad switch
    - Channel active LED indicators
    - Pre & post gain controls on each channel
    - Tube channel: one 12AX7 tube low, mid & high EQ controls w/ punch &
    - Bright switches
    - Solid state channel: 7-band graphic EQ Active low & high shelving EQs
    - Footswitchable channel select
    - Footswitchable channel combine
    - Blend control for mixing tube and solid state channels
    - Crossover variable from 100 Hz to 1 kHz w/ frequency and balance controls
    - Footswitchable post EQ effects loop
    - Full-range, high & low frequency outputs
    - Frequency-compensated balanced & unbalanced direct out with pre/post EQ switch
    - Single rack space
    - Internal power supply (no wall wart)

3. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    So you say there's some noise, but not so much that it's ok for live. That's fine with me, but how are the pots/sliders? All clean and free of noise as well? If so I may be shooting you a PM/email.

4. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Okay, that's a fair question. This rig is in my recording set-up, so I boosted the gain on my interface and in SONAR and twiddled all the dials and sliders through their full range of control. Hmm, impressive, no noise from controls that I could hear whatsoever. They just work.

There is a little electronic click when changing channels, but I haven't tried it with a foot-pedal yet, so don't know if you would hear the same thing and I didn't notice it when I used it live.

Aside from some rack rash and a few scratches on the top of the cabinet (not the face), the unit is in very nice shape. Let me know if you require any other info.

I took some close-ups this morning. If anyone wants some pics, just let me know.

Cheers,

5. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Okay, I'm not trying to give myself free bumps, but I have more info. The more I play with this preamp, the more I'm finding out.

Re the hiss, as it turns out when I changed the AC to a different receptacle from all my computer and recording stuff, it just became utterly silent. Ahh yes, makes sense. It's quiet both through a grounded and ungrounded plug. You can just hear a minute amount of tube rush @ full volume if you put your ear up the speaker. This is as good a performance as I'm getting from my $2,500 tube stereo preamp.

Also, the click on switching channels is totally signal-dependent. If you happen to change channels in the middle of a big note, you will hear a click, if there is no signal present (like between notes or with palm mute or turning your volume down on the bass) the click for channel change is barely perceptible.

Someone make me an offer quick, I'm beginning to think that maybe I should keep this pre instead of selling it.

Cheers,

6. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Bump and then off for vacation. I won't be respondign to PM's or emails for a week. Not bein' rude, just bein' gone.

7. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Back from vacation and ready to deal.

8. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Alright, you guys drive a hard bargain, $150.00 plus shipping from N1H 1C5 Guelph, ON.

9. bassx

bassx

Apr 10, 2002
    N FW, TX
  10. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

11. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Sold. Goodbye tone monster.