Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FS: Pre-gibson tobias 5-string $2200 obo

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by ModulusAcacia, Oct 20, 2002.

1. ModulusAcacia

ModulusAcacia Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 22, 2000
    Middletown/Cincy, OH WHO-DEY!
    owner: J. Kennedy Guitar Repair, Guitar tech for Walk the Moon
    Pre-gibson tobias five string #391. It was built in '85 and originally ordered and owned by Billy Idol's bass player Larry Seymour. I am the third owner. The bass is in excellant shape for a 17 year old instrument. I recently had the frets dressed and have cleaned this thing to near brilliance :) The bass has a few custom options not found on many Tobiases, especially ones built this early on. It has a "ramp" between the pick-ups 'a la a matt garrison Fodera or a Gary Willis ibanez. I e-mailed Mike Tobias about it and he said that it was Gary's idea and there were a few basses that he made with it on there besides Gary's (this being one of them). The ramp is radiused to the same radius as the top of the pick-ups and fingerboard. Also, the electroincs are a bartolini TCT circuit with a vol/vol/treble/mid/ stacked bass and passive tone control, a wiring option offered for the mid 80's Tobiases. the body is solid alder and the neck is 5 piece maple/purple heart with a pao ferro fingerboard with pearl dots. I also have the original case. The bass has killer tone and is almost too easy to play, but it just doesn't sound like "me". I'm asking $2200 shipped in the lower 48 states.:)