1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

FS: Pre-gibson tobias 5-string $2200 obo

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by ModulusAcacia, Oct 20, 2002.

1. ModulusAcacia

ModulusAcacia Commercial User

Mar 22, 2000
    Middletown/Cincy, OH WHO-DEY!
    owner: J. Kennedy Guitar Repair, Guitar tech for Walk the Moon
    Pre-gibson tobias five string #391. It was built in '85 and originally ordered and owned by Billy Idol's bass player Larry Seymour. I am the third owner. The bass is in excellant shape for a 17 year old instrument. I recently had the frets dressed and have cleaned this thing to near brilliance :) The bass has a few custom options not found on many Tobiases, especially ones built this early on. It has a "ramp" between the pick-ups 'a la a matt garrison Fodera or a Gary Willis ibanez. I e-mailed Mike Tobias about it and he said that it was Gary's idea and there were a few basses that he made with it on there besides Gary's (this being one of them). The ramp is radiused to the same radius as the top of the pick-ups and fingerboard. Also, the electroincs are a bartolini TCT circuit with a vol/vol/treble/mid/ stacked bass and passive tone control, a wiring option offered for the mid 80's Tobiases. the body is solid alder and the neck is 5 piece maple/purple heart with a pao ferro fingerboard with pearl dots. I also have the original case. The bass has killer tone and is almost too easy to play, but it just doesn't sound like "me". I'm asking $2200 shipped in the lower 48 states.:)