1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS Rare G&L SB1 Blue Swirl (GandL)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by fenderhutz, May 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    SOLD SOLD SOLD

This is quite a rare bird. I haven't confirmed this but I believe this is the only Blue Swirl G&L SB1 with a rosewood board. The only other one made was a maple board. Blue Swirl wasn't a standard finish for SB1 basses. Yes it is true, it sounds like a P-Bass on steroids with the humbucking P pickup in these.

This bass is very well built and play and sounds like a dream. Really the only P style bass I have ever liked. But it does have some blemishes and here we go.

The neck, headstock, tuners and fretboard are all in great shape. Looks like the previous owner didn't like the white nut and took a black sharpie to try and color it black. I tried to clean it up, but it didn't bother me that much to care. It is currently wearing a newer set of DR Sunbeams in the 45-105 variety.

The body. It has it's fair share of dings and scratches. The worst is a half dime size chip beside the bridge that isn't that noticeable, a small chip on the contour, and some other dings here and there. You can see from the photos none of these issues are highly visible or go through the paint completely.

No rust or anything to mention with the hardware.

Now the pickguard and electronics. Looks like someone got superglue around the between the jack and tone pot at some point like they tried to superglue the jack in place and the experiment went wrong. Again I was looking for a PG on here as a replacement didn't bother me enough to buy a new one.

As far as weight goes it's similar to my jazz which is around 8.5-9 lbs.

With the gig bag. $OLD!!!! shipped.

2. whirledpeas

whirledpeas Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Sittin' Here in Limbo
    Love the finish on this one!

Maybe I missed it, but what's the width at the nut?

3. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Slightly wider than a jazz, not as wide as a P. I will have to measure it tonight. It's the G&L neck that is one size up from a jazz, 1 5/8 (9/16) maybe?

4. whirledpeas

whirledpeas Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Sittin' Here in Limbo
    Thanks.

Should've also asked about the neck profile ... what's the thickness like front to back? Is this relatively flat like the older SB-1s or a bit rounder/thicker like the newer SBs?

5. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    It's a newer than 1990 SB1. I have never played the older ones. It's a little thicker than my Fender jazz but not by much. I have smaller hands and it was just as comfy to play this for 3-4 hours as my jazz.

I am at work until later, I can do whatever measurements later.

6. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    EDIT: Didn't list correct price drop. Here we go.

VERY temporary price drop. Then I pull the ad and put on on Fleabay.

7. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Oh man this is killing me!:help:

8. 3rdBass

3rdBass Funk in A Supporting Member

I subscribed to this sale a few weeks back and wondered what happened to it.
    I have the SB-2 version of this one, also in bowling ball blue swirl. It's become my #1 go-to in the last year, over MANY other basses.
    Folks, $600 shipped is a REALLY good deal on this.

9. WannaJazz

WannaJazz Supporting Member

May 7, 2010
    PM Sent

10. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Replied.

11. e.rich

e.rich undersecretary of enablement

Mar 16, 2011
    W. Newbury, MA
    free bump for that slender ampeg micro stack, there. me thinks i need to get a second 210av cabinet.

12. WannaJazz

WannaJazz Supporting Member

May 7, 2010
    Payment Sent

13. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Sold. I am going to miss this one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.