1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FS: Raven Labs MDB-1 Mixer/DI/Preamp

Discussion in 'For Sale: Parts, Strings, and Accessories' started by Michael Vee, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael Vee

Michael Vee Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Raven Labs MDB-1. These are getting harder and harder to get as Steve Rabe ceased production in 2005.

This one is in very good condition.. does NOT include the power supply, although these are very sparing on batteries. I'm not playing out much these days, so I'm moving some pieces of gear, including this gem. $250 shipped. Paypal, CONUS only. No trades.

From the Raven Labs website:

"The MDB-1 is a combination mixer/direct box/buffer/preamp in one small unit 6.7" wide x 1.75"high x 6"deep, and weighs approximately 2 lbs. The MDB-1 boasts an incredible 10 Meg ohm input impedance making it the perfect buffer for any instrument. Coupled with super low noise (-95dB typical), distortion (0.005% @ 1KHz) and a frequency response from 10Hz to 60KHz, makes this one of the finest pieces of equipment in its category. Input headroom is 2 volts RMS. Maximum gain is 3X with "unity" being at 12 o'clock on the volume control.

• Buffer. Because of the low noise and high input impedance, the MDB-1 makes an extremely good buffer amp. For example: between external pickups, both piezo and magnetic, and amp; instrument(s) and recording on a computer; anywhere you need to go from a high impedance to a low impedance. Using the MDB-1 will insure all the information from your source will remain unloaded.
    • Mixer. Since each channel is completely independent, you can mix and blend up to 3 sources. Select the source desired one at a time or all three together.
    • Direct Box. The balanced XLR out is extremely accurate and very quiet. Perfect for professional and home recording.
    • Preamp. Great for passive or low level instruments.
    • Recording. Direct to tape if desired.
    • A/B box. For low level sources (i.e. keyboards, guitars, preamps).
    • Blending. Blend instruments with stereo or dual outputs to mono, such as acoustics with piezo and mic outputs or Alembic stereo basses.
    • Level Equalization. Preset the volume of instruments having different output levels during "soundcheck" thus eliminating problems during the live performance."

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. evilgus

evilgus Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    I'll snap this up immediately, if you will (please!) ship to Sydney! Can pay PayPal e-check, plus I also have a Fedex account if that is easier for shipping.

Cheers,

EG

3. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    What kind of power supply does it use? Is it specific to the unit?

4. Michael Vee

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Yes, it is a proprietary design- you can't use any of the commonly available PS units. It is my understanding that if you know the design, it isn't hard to make your own as it is essentially two 9 volt supplies wired together. However, I don't have that information. It's here on Talkbass somewhere.

At one time, a company called Torres Engineering in California offered the remaining Raven Labs power supplies for sale, but has since sold out.

The MDB-1, as all of the Raven Labs boxes, uses 2 9-volt batteries and goes a LONG time between needing changes.

5. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    If I can find something that'll power it I probably will take it off your hands.

6. Michael Vee

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    RSB: Again, the Raven Labs boxes do not consume a lot of power. I would suggest you (or other interested parties) do a search not only in Talkbass but in Google. These units are not going to drain a set of 9-volt batteries for a long time, much less in an evening like some modern pedals do.

7. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Ok sweet man I think I'll take it! Did you say paypal only? PM me your address and I will get that to you tomorrow!

8. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Hey man I want this if you're still selling.
    PM me when you get a chance.

9. evilgus

Feb 27, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    I do believe I got in first, so lets see what happens. :)

EG

10. evilgus

Feb 27, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Money sent!

EG

11. Michael Vee

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Sold to Justin (Evilgus)! Heading to Australia..

Thanks to all who've expressed an interest in the MDB-1. It's been a long time in selling, and why, I have no idea. What a piece of gear this is!

Michael V.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.