1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS: ROB ALLEN MB2-5 - 34" SCALE LINED FRETLESS

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Dee-man, May 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dee-man

Dee-man Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Well, as much as I love this bass, I've decided the neck is too wide for my small hands to comfortably play the low b below the 8th fret, so off she goes. :crying: At least I still have my Mouse. :)

This is #110 (that means the top of the body is not contoured, like later ones; but no big deal for me) and, yes, it is a 34" scale 5er (35" is what's available standard now). Lined fretless. Figured maple top, swamp ash body (I think; if not, probably alder), stunning birdseye maple neck and headstock, and beautifully grained cocobolo (I'm pretty sure) fretboard and bridge. Ivoroid binding and a 6" long ebony thumbrest that Rob made and I installed (it's parallel to the b string and nicely tapered high-to-low toward the b). Strung with the usual LaBella tapewounds.

Sounds great. Low b is solid, deep and throaty, and overall it has that wonderful Rob Allen sound with a little dark growl. It's in excellent cosmetic condition. Edit: I posted this at work and have now given the bass a thorough lookover. There are two minor dings and a few scratches on the side and back of the body. No effect on playability. The neck is like glass, and the neck, headstock, fretboard and top are all excellent. I can email pics on request (can't seem to upload them here).

I'm the second owner (bought it locally a few years ago). Some playing time by me, but not a ton. I take very good care of my equipment and it's never been gigged. The only hitch is that I don't have a case for it (I use a fender gig bag for it when it occasionally goes out to friends' houses, but I'd like to keep that), so it's priced accordingly (and I'll be sure to work out packing to buyer's satisfaction).

Asking $1650 shipped via FedEx ground insured to CONUS only. Paypal or cash equivalent. No international for now and not interested in any trades (however, if you have a fretless Birdsong Hy5 or other quality shortscale fretless 5er (are there any besides Veillette?), let's talk).

Thanks for looking, DM

2. Dee-man

Apr 6, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    TTT

3. Archie Jr.

Archie Jr. Midnight Rider Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2009
    I have an Alleva-Coppolo LG5 Fretless which I would trade for your Rob Allen plus cash. If you are interested I could send you pics if you send me your email address. Thanks.

4. Dee-man

Apr 6, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Hi Archie. Thanks for the trade offer. I'm assuming your AC is either a 34" or 35" scale, in which case I'll have to say thanks but no thanks (even though I'm sure it's awesome). If it's a short scale by some crazy chance, please let me know. DM

All PMs replied. Still available for now.

5. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    The AC LG is 34" scale. The only other scale Jimmy makes is a totally new short scale product that's not even a J bass config at all.

Just FYI.

6. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Man, I wish I could check this thing out... or maybe even justify a relatively high end fretless... if I could come up with the jack, the 34" scale is actually preferrable to me. Wish I had something to trade for this.

7. Dee-man

Apr 6, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Thanks. I understand.

All pm's replied.

8. Dee-man

Apr 6, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Sat. morning bump.

9. Dee-man

Apr 6, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Sunday morn bump. Number of inquiries, but still available.

10. Dee-man

Apr 6, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    TTT

11. Any chance you've gotten past the obstacle of uploading pics? I'd love to see this thing, and I imagine it'd really help your cause. I've not heard a 34" 5-string MB-2, and this one is certainly intriguing. Bump for a unique instrument!

12. Dee-man

Apr 6, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Thanks, VV. Unfortunately, I haven't. Any tips would be welcome.

I have been emailing pics to those that pm me with their email address and would be happy to send you some. If you're near the North Bay, I'd be happy to hook up with you. Just let me know. DM

13. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Here you go... I can host these for a while...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. ghiadub

ghiadub Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Auburn, CA
    PM your way Dan.

15. Dee-man

Apr 6, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Wow, just saw those photos. Thanks a lot, Vic! What voodoo did you use to do that?

Well, I didn't realize this was even possible until yesterday, but apparently Rob Allen can narrow the neck if I want to go that route, so I'm going to re-think whether to sell this.

If I sell it, Ghiadub has first dibs. Sorry to be a flake, thanks for the interest, and thanks again to Vic for posting the pics. I'm going to close the thread for now. DM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.