1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD FS: Roscoe Century Custom

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Strokey, Aug 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strokey

Strokey Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Florida
    This is an early Century flat top (not to be confused with the more recent standard model). I really like this bass, but I am still trying to thin the herd and this one is next to go.

The bass is in excellent shape, just a tiny wear in the "slap" area. The Demeter pre is very smooth with a tight and crispy sound. This bass has punch, with very clean lows and bright highs. The single coil is more similar to a jazz bass but with less bottom (the placement of the pups is very determinant for the sound. The roscoe basses have the neck pup placed closer to the bridge than most of the "standard" traditional basses).

Specs:
    Ash body
    Bubinga (water fall) top.
    Maple neck with Ebony FB.
    String spacing: 19mm
    Special hardware black/chrome
    Demeter preamp.
    Original Bartolini pups.
    It has a single switch for parallel/single/series. Totally shielded because of the single coil mode (pups cavities are not shielded from the shop).
    Q bandwidth switch

For sale for $1650 shipped (CONUS)

Will consider trades. Priority will be given to trades that can net me some cash.

Feel free to contact me for additional pics or any questions.

Attached Files:

2. Strokey

Feb 8, 2006
    Florida
    More Pics...

Attached Files:

3. Strokey

Feb 8, 2006
    Florida
    one more pic...

Attached Files:

4. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    that's my former century!!!!!! aaahhh….. That bass is fantastic! one of the best neck and very clean sounding!

(uh, tempted!)

M

5. Strokey

Feb 8, 2006
    Florida
    I completely agree. This is a great bass and putting her up for sale is a difficult decision. The Demeter seems to add much more range than diversity when compared to a Roscoe with a Bart pre. This is a super Roscoe for the price.

6. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    +1+1

:smug:

M

7. Strokey

Feb 8, 2006
    Florida
    All PMs answered. Sunday night football bump.

8. Strokey

Feb 8, 2006
    Florida
    All, I have received this question from a few people, so I will answer it here. This Roscoe is different than the Century Standard basses. This Roscoe was custom ordered and contains a few more options than the Standard basses. I love Roscoes and the Roscoe heads will vouch for both all of the Roscoes out there. This Roscoe Century Custom offers some options that you will not find in the Roscoe Century Standards. The main difference is the inclusion of the Demeter. If you are looking for a Roscoe with a little more versatility than the standards, but don't want to pay more for the more expensive Roscoe Century bass, then this bass is for you.

Keep the questions coming. Other Roscoeheads, feel free to discuss any other differences that I may have missed.

9. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    this is my former bass. One of a kind. It is a Century (not a standard) with a flat top. It has the typical thick top and a 19mm string spacing. Ordered in 2006 (If I remember correctly) and got it early 2007. The standard series was not existing at that time. The neck is the giveaway, this is a classic Roscoe neck (the standard is an all maple one). Custom color hardware.
    The Demeter is a Roscoe custom and I did several "updates" since the "not common" wiring (parallel/single coil instead of the more traditional series - added shielding). This gives it a more "musicman" like sound and a sort of jazz in single coil.

This bass was one of the biggest hit when I was in Nashville, killer groove/slapping machine with a super clear sound….

M

10. Strokey

Feb 8, 2006
    Florida
    Thanks for the explanation. This is a really nice Roscoe that will make someone very happy. Yes, Paypal is ok.

11. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    Seriously, this is a great deal!

(BTW, I spell 'musician' instead of 'musicman').

M

12. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    Yeah, this is an awesome looking bass, well worth the price.

attachment.

13. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    That's a beauty.

14. Strokey

Feb 8, 2006
    Florida
    I will consider all offers. Also, I will consider trades; preferably trades that will net me at least $1000. All that I ask is that any basses offered for trade should have 5 strings.

15. Strokey

Feb 8, 2006
    Florida
    This is a very nice bass. I played her last night. The Demeter is very versatile. Whomever gets this will not be dissapointed.

16. Strokey

Feb 8, 2006
    Florida
    Labor Day Weekend Bump! I will consider all offers.

17. Strokey

Feb 8, 2006
    Florida
    All PMs have been answered. I have received some interesting offers, but the bass is still available.

18. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I have a SKB 3005 fretless, but with the Bart Pups and Demeter preamp. It's a very special instrument.

I've bought and sold a bunch of basses in the last few years, but this is one which I don't ever see myself selling.

19. Strokey

Feb 8, 2006
    Florida
    I have received a few questions about the sound of the Demeter, since Roscoes with this pre are less common. So, I wanted to do a comparison of this Roscoe, some of my older Roscoes, and my main bass (Fodera NYC Empire). First of all, I will say that my Fodera NYC Empire is a jazz bass on steroids. This bass is growly, powerful, and has lots of range. The lows and mids are tight and growl, and the highs are very smooth. This is by far my favorite bass; I love the sound. But, this Roscoe sounds awesome when compared to it.

Now, I will compare the this Roscoe Century to it. The Roscoe is loud. The lows have a lot of range, which is due to the Demeter switch, which slightly changes the frequency. With the flip of a switch, one can get louder more agressive lows. The lows are tight and exact and the b string sounds slightly tighter and more exact than the Fodera NYC. The mids are typical Roscoe mids; growly and awesome. The highs are have a more hi fi sound when compared to the NYC. They are glassy, which is likely due to the ebony board and the Demeter pre. The Roscoe is more punchy and the demeter preamp allows the bass to be very versatile. The neck on the Roscoe is a typical Roscoe neck. It is very comfortable and fast. The fretwork is great.

Compared to other Roscoes I have owned (I have owned 2 LGs, 2 SKBs, and 2 Centuries), this Roscoe sounds the best. I have never owned one with a Demeter pre and I will say that the Demeter pre with the Roscoe barts are my favorite combination. It is a shame that Roscoe does not offer this combination, anymore. I love the sound of the Demeter. I always loved the Aguilar/Roscoe Bart combination, but I think the Demeter/Roscoe Bart combo is now my favorite. This bass is the punchiest Roscoe I have owned. It cuts through the mix and this bass can be used for a multitude of music. It can be smooth, or with the flip of a switch, can be agressive, punchy, and growly.

As far as looks, the waterfall bubinga top is awesome. At first, I wasn't sure how I was going to like the flat-top, but I have grown to really like it. Under various lighting, the flat-top compliments the bubinga waterfall. Now, I love the sound and look of ebony boards. This ebony board has lots of color. I love the browns that are dispersed among the black of the ebony.

I hope this helps in describing the sound. I will say that I really don't want to sell this bass. But, I have another bass coming, and I must thin the herd. If any of you have any questions, feel free to ask.

20. Strokey

Feb 8, 2006
    Florida
    Labor Day Bump!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.