1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FS: SKC Slapper, all woven graphite !!!, neck-through, headless, only 30 were made

Discussion in 'For Sale: Europe & International' started by iuserneim, May 29, 2012.

1. iuserneim

iuserneim

Feb 7, 2009
    germany
    ---> S O L D <---

Hi.

I gotta sell this beautiful bass. Many of you may know the Slapper model from Clover, but this is one of the very first original Slappers ever made, when the production was still done by SKC Carbon in Germany.
    SKC is known for their Bogart model. Now, this slapper is even older: it was made in the late 80s and only 30 were made !!!

[SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/beefvalve/slapper/s-UrCJW[/SOUNDCLOUD]

Here come the specs:
    - woven graphite body
    - woven graphite neck
    - neck through construction
    - headless design
    - phenowood fingerboard
    - Bartolini soapbar pickups
    - Bartolini preamp (18V, 3EQ, sweeping mids)
    - it only weights 3.4 kg and is SO comfortable to play !!!

1k.jpg 2k.jpg 3k.jpg 4k.jpg 5k.jpg

6k.jpg 7k.jpg 8k.jpg 9k.jpg 10k.jpg

It plays like a dream, very slim and fast neck ! Also very easy on the back, you can play the whole night and still keep on playing in the morning.

It's a players bass, so there are a few dings, cracks and chips on the finish (but ONLY in the finish). That's because it's somewhat impossible to primer woven graphite, so the finish cracks or chips after 30 years. But otherwise, it's in a very good condition. Worn finish is nothing to worry about, some call it "relic job" and sell those even better.

The price I'm asking for is [DEL]1200[/DEL] [DEL]1100[/DEL] 1000 euros only or make me a good offer.
    Worldwide shipping possible ! (if the buyer is willing to pay for shipping, taxes and stuff)

You can pay via money transaction, maybe cash on delivery (if that's available in your country). If you tell me your location, I can tell how much the shipping is.
    Of course, you could also pick it up, it's located in Baden-W├╝rttemberg / Germany.
    Or, if you're concerned about sending that much money to a stranger, you could buy it via german ebay (just look for "SKC Slapper Vollcarbon" there).

If there are any questions or price quotes, just drop me a message.

2. iuserneim

iuserneim

Feb 7, 2009
    germany
    Guys, this is not your average graphite bass, and it's totally a different beast compared to a Status Stealth or something that might seem similar.

The asking price is lower now.
    Take your chance...

3. fernandobicho2

fernandobicho2

Aug 30, 2011
    Hi
    I have a Schack bass and I'm curious about your bass. Does he have a flight case and it's all original? I offer you 1000 euro with shipping include to Portugal. Money bank transfer imediatly or PayPal at my expenses, as you wish. What you think about?
    Thank you. Regards
    Fernando

4. iuserneim

iuserneim

Feb 7, 2009
    germany
    wrote you a PM, Fernando

5. Great bass! I have her sister - Bogart Headless 4-string - what an amazing instrument it is! :)

6. iuserneim

iuserneim

Feb 7, 2009
    germany
    it really is :)

the bogart is a very nice axe, too, although it's a totally different beast.i have one myself.

the neck on the bogart is wider, while the slapper has a very thin and narrow neck, like on a jazz bass.
    plus, the bogart is bolt on.

they sound different also.
    best would be to own both :)

7. iuserneim

iuserneim

Feb 7, 2009
    germany
    if you're worried about the shipping: i'm sure i can buy a case somewhere. or you can send me your empty case and i send the bass in it.

if there's a problem of trust here, then feel free to buy the bass from german ebay. just search for skc slapper and you'll find it...

8. iuserneim

iuserneim

Feb 7, 2009
    germany
    still up for grabs.
    maybe you still need a bit of time playing those neck heavy jazz basses until you need something more comfortable :)

9. iuserneim

iuserneim

Feb 7, 2009
    germany
    Bump....

10. metallutca

metallutca

Dec 18, 2004
    Malaysia
    Very nice. Can a normal single-ball end strings be used on this headless system? How much for shipment to Malaysia?

11. Rozeg

Rozeg Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Ufa, Russia
    Wow! What an amazing bass... very cheap price, mate. I only use 5-stringers but I would love to try this beast... Good luck with the sale!

12. iuserneim

iuserneim

Feb 7, 2009
    germany
    thanks rozeg. well it's really cheap indeed, but i need the money, so the bass needs to go...

metallutca, sent you a PM about shipping and stuff.

yes, you can use regular strings with this. on the last pic, you see the grub screws, which hold the strings. so you can use double ball ends and regular.

13. Rozeg

Rozeg Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Ufa, Russia
    Sorry for the off topic discussion, but is that you playing on the sound example? That tone is amazing, mate.

How did you make that effect on the high E notes at 0:33? Were you playing on higher frets or something?

I'm a fan of carbon basses and this one makes me even more convinced. Rich, thick, dense roar, nice slap, and I bet, the fretboard feels incredible to your hand.
    And yeah, I'm a fan of headless basses too!

14. iuserneim

iuserneim

Feb 7, 2009
    germany
    Thanks man !

Yes, it's me playing.
    Well, there is no effects on it. I think you mean the slap part, that starts at 0:33 ?
    That's just simple slap & pop. But it's not a high E, but high A. Just slapping A (5th fret, E string), and popping A (7th fret, D string).

I guess that's the sound of the bass, no effects like i said.
    It has a thick sound indeed, if you play fingerstyle. But if you slap, there is a nice snap to it, even though it doesn't lose the thickness when slapped.
    I guess THAT's what's so special about carbon fiber basses....
    All that fuss about carbon fiber sounding hi fi is bullshyte. I bet, this bass sounds woodier than a lot of wooden made instruments... haha

Well, as you said, the fingerboard indeed feels very slick, like you know it from ebony.

Let me tell you: Measuring the string length, measuring the neck, all that stuff is just numbers. I tell you honestly, this bass really is made to play fast and furious. I have basses, that feel kinda slow and lazy. I just can't really play fast on them, and because of that, I rather play simple. But I noticed, on the slapper, I just come up with fast fills or licks every now and then, because it literally invites you to go wild on it.
    It's not only about the neck width and stuff, but also about the overall response of the instrument. It's so resonant when played unplugged, you would think it's a hollowbody jazz guitar type bass, you know ?

Crazy stuff !
    The more i talk about it, the more i'm thinking about keeping it.
    So if you really want it, you better take it away from me quick.

15. Rozeg

Rozeg Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Ufa, Russia
    Well, I meant the touch of the fretboard more than dimensions. It's about the response of it, the touch and feel of the material, and also no "dead" spots - I bet you know what I mean.
    I can't buy your bass, mate, cos I go for 5-ers only. Whoever picks your Slapper is lucky

16. Rozeg

Rozeg Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Ufa, Russia
    What was the balance between the two pickups for that slap sound?

Lemme tell you this. If I was happy with 4-ers this bass would be my dream. And if it's only 3.4 kg it's a mere dream indeed.

17. iuserneim

iuserneim

Feb 7, 2009
    germany
    rozeg, it's very simple: EQ set flat, balance right in the middle, so both pickups full on. the whole song it's like this.
    played through an ampeg.
    no tricks or anything.
    the strings are 45-65-85-105 stainless steels, and those were quite new, maybe one or two weeks.
    i had just a tiny bit of EQing in the mixdown, but nothing mayor.

well, i know what you mean about the feel of the fingerboard.
    deadspots are a myth to me anyway. but i gotta say, i never had a fender, but most of my basses had multi-laminated necks or had graphite in them.

3,4kg is really incredibly light, and usually light basses have heavy necks and light bodies, so they are neck heavy as hell, but this one has a light neck, and most of the weight is in the body. so it really hangs on the strap in the perfect playing position.
    NOTHING could be THAT comfortable, really !

by the way, there is a local guy who may pick this up next week. so if somebody is interested, hurry up. first in, first served...

18. metallutca

metallutca

Dec 18, 2004
    Malaysia
    I really would love to have this! But I just bought a Le Fay and ordered a headless Skjold that will be completed next year, so money is a bit tight now :(
    Good luck with the sale! :)

19. stenobass

stenobass

Nov 22, 2006
    Hi there,

nice one, I would be interested...I am based in Italy, would you ship there too?

Stefano

20. iuserneim

iuserneim

Feb 7, 2009
    germany
    PM sent stefano