1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS: Skjold Stage 4

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by VifferMike, Nov 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VifferMike

VifferMike Registered Four Banger

Dec 10, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Due to a need for some cash fairly quickly, I'm forced to sell one of my two "perfect" basses ...

For sale is my Skjold Stage 4, purchased here on TalkBass from jmb7183 and previously owned by Tombowlus and Vic (I believe). Four-string, bird's eye maple fretboard, three-piece maple neck with graphite reinforcement, superb and glossy silver finish, with a rare (in the U.S.) and seriously phat Delano MM pickup and an exotic-wood thumbrest. It's in mint condition and comes with a gig bag.

Despite its 35" scale, this bass has the single most comfortable neck I've ever put my hands on (and the bird's eye maple is sooo pretty). And the Delano is unbelievably wide in its tonal variations despite its placement near the bass' bridge. It can seriously sound almost as fat and poofy as a P-bass, but (of course) as growly and authoritative as an EBMM.

I really don't want to sell this bass; it's a keeper. But the cash needs on my part are unavoidable and needed quickly. And I REALLY don't want to have to offer up my other bass, a Zon 4.

The Skjold is SOLD!!! . If you've been curious about Skjolds but can't swing big bucks to try even a used one out, this one's for you.

Attached Files:

2. VifferMike

Dec 10, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    No interest in one of Pete Skjold's original made-completely-by-hand creations? It's a single-pickup beast, I tell ya ... and it's feather-light as well (can't be more than 8 lbs.). More pics are available upon request ...

3. bassinstincts

bassinstincts Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Acoustic Image
    PM'd

4. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yeah, I had this for a period, but it convinced me of two things... I needed to get my hands on a 5 stringer, and I needed to get into a two pickup bass for my particular tone. However, as "stingray type" tones go, this bass has it seriously goin' on. I'd never say it sounds exactly like a ray, but it kicks serious butt in the same tonal base for sure. Has a gret birdseye board, as well, and like he says, really light (tho the tone is full and rich)!

5. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    Here I am drooling over this bass again.... and I just bought another bass this morning!!!!!! ARGGhhhh!!!!! Oh maybe next time..

6. VifferMike

Dec 10, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Vic; that Delano pickup has got some serious tone in it. All of the other one-pickup, MM-style basses that I've played just haven't been able to sing in any sort of creamy, pillowy way without either a ton of mush or retaining some trebly metallic overtones. This Skjold doesn't turn to mush, and the zinginess can be dialed out easily.

I'd keep it for years if I didn't have to pay off some debts quickly. It's that good of a bass (and I'm perfectly content with the one pickup format because of the Delano's tonal variety; I've NEVER said that about a one-pickup bass before).

Tuesday noon-ish bump ... :)

7. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Yeah, it seriously wiped out the Kent Armstrong that was in there originally. No doubt.

8. JoshB

JoshB A great man is always willing to be little. -RWE

well...first off...WAAAHHHHHH!!! No cash ='s no bass for me.

This is a great bass guys...and that's no lie!!!

9. VifferMike

Dec 10, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    What better endorsement for a particular bass than from the most recent former owner of said bass? Thanks, jmb ... like I've said before; I'd keep this bass for years if my situation didn't necessitate some quick cash ... and thanks for selling the beaut to me, if only for a few short months.

Gobble Day-eve bump ... anyone?

10. VifferMike

Dec 10, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    'Tis the season for sales, so in the spirit of holiday cheer ... price drop noted in the first entry. Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

11. VifferMike

Dec 10, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I've gotta sell her ... and I've gotta keep my other baby ... help a fellow thumper out ... don't wanna send her to the 'bay ... it's suuuch a nice bass ... :crying:

12. VifferMike

Dec 10, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    ... before the 'bay (where I'm sure I won't get what this bass is worth). I'll even throw in an unopened set of DR Lo-Riders (.45-.105) ... anyone?

13. bassjam

bassjam Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw
    Lakland Basses, G&L Basses, Genzler Amplification
    im suprised this bass is still here-especially at this price.

bump for ya mike-great guy to deal with

14. VifferMike

Dec 10, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    'preciate the bump. Been meaning to get out to a Wonders gig sometime. Still diggin' the Schroeder (that is NEVER being sold, especially since I've recently bought a Mini, LOL)!

15. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Vero Beach, FL
    man, that's sweet...i checked out a skjold at guitar center a couple weeks ago, and i can't imagine this not being a killer bass

16. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Oh, it is... it is... especially with that Delano pickup in there! :)

Not only that, but that "ramp" is actually wood... Mac Ebony, and is only on via doublestick tape, so it's not permanent.

17. Pete skjold

Pete skjold

May 29, 2004
    Warsaw Ohio
    That was a nice player when it went out , I had another that I kept here to play . If I had the extra money I'd buy it back , I can't build them for that !

I hope it finds a good home , it is a great straight ahead bass . It can also be upgraded with different electronics if the person wanted more options .

Pete

18. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    I wanna' emphasize this a bit... Pete is very accessible considering his smotheringly busy schedule with all he's got going on right now, which I can guarantee is more than meets the casual eye.

As such, once you get into a Skjold, you're "backed" by a builder who will really work with you to find the best way to take that Skjold and make it the best it can possibly be for "you".

I sold this Skjold for one reason, and one reason only... to help pay for an even nicer Skjold (thanks again, Tom!! :spit: ;) :D), which I now have, and is absolutely one of those "pry from my cold dead hands" basses. Trust me.

19. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I was wondering what became of this bass. It's really a sweetheart. I asked Pete for that thumb rest because I naturally play over the neck pickup location, and it was not only more comfortable for me to play there, but it also sounded better to my ears. Of course, the thumb rest came right about the time that I sold it to Vic (I felt bad that he didn't have a Skjold :smug:).

Tom.

20. VifferMike

Dec 10, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    To soniq, as part of a trade for a Fender Geddy Lee sig that'll complement my Zon Sonus better (and the Skjold will complement his EBMMs better). Life is grand. :bassist:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.