1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

FS: Stambaugh Custom 6 fretless, Aero/Pope (Foderaesque)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Europe & International' started by vilkai, Aug 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vilkai

vilkai

Jul 1, 2008
    Finland
    Edited to add: just to clarify - no, this isn't EVERY BIT AS GOOD as a Fodera. This bass also costs about 1/6th of what a Fodera with similar specs costs. It's also very, very, good at what it does. English as a secondary language strikes again... A Smith is not every bit as good as a Fodera is not every bit as good as a Ken Lawrence is not every bit as good as an Alembic is not every bit as good as a Smith...

Selling off a ton of basses to finance a Fodera. I bought this to see if a really good bass with Aero and Pope electronics gets you that Fodera tone. This bass does sound remarkably close to my Fodera AJ6, and the neck profile is very, very, similar. But the string spacing is, of course, not 20mm! :D

Right, so, it's a Chris Stambaugh custom-made fretless six, string spacing 17,5mm. I've had a few good fretless basses, like the Ken Lawrence CBII, and for me the best two have been the Skjold ECS6, bought from NickyBass here, and this one. These two don't get lost in the (stage) mix! Something that I often have trouble with on fretless. -> bad intonation! Mr. Stambaugh said that putting frets on this one is a viable option, but the price varies according to local price levels obviously. 35" scale, comes with a light hard case or gig bag. Asking GBP1500 + shipping.

This photo actually captures the colours as I saw them yesterday:
    P8163925.
    This one doesn't.
    P8163928.
    More pics:http://s626.photobucket.com/albums/tt342/prkl0405/Stambaugh/

2. Wow, I remember this one and would I like to get my mitts on it.

So, I assume there is a single coil switch there. I am not a Pope-pre person.

Would you please give the nut width and also the string-spacing at the nut. So, you can for sure get it down to 18mm at the bridge? That's a long way to bring the spacing down on a six-string.

This is probably at least a mid-weight bass, but how is the balance on a strap?

By the way, what is that semi-cosmic inlay up on the board? It kinda looks like a brontosaurus with a devil tail or something...that would be really cool having a bronto-bass (place smiley face indicating child-like glee here).

Vilkai, this is a fantastic offering. But nonetheless, your punishment for tempting us with it is to post some clips of long tones and funky Jurassic grooves.

3. vilkai

vilkai

Jul 1, 2008
    Finland
    Bump for a fairly serious mistake re: String Spacing on my part! Will re-do measurements later today.

4. vilkai

vilkai

Jul 1, 2008
    Finland
    Neck width at nut: 55 mm, string spacing at nut 9,5mm, weight 4,6kgs. The upper horn terminates between 11th and 12th 'frets' so the balance on a strap is excellent.

Unit conversions: 8,8 pounds, 2,16 in. and 0,35 in.

Switches are coil split, coil split and killswitch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.