1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FS/ Stambaugh Fretless 5...New...

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by BEADG, Mar 10, 2008.

1. BEADG

BEADG

Jan 8, 2006
    North Carolina
    I can't believe I'm going to list this bass but I find myself with too many basses (especially given that I'm not a gigging musician).
    I placed the order with Chris in December 2006 and then waited 10 months to take delivery in November 2007. Having never played a fretless before I'm not sure what made me think I could play one, but I do love the sound.
    This bass has a chambered mahogany body w/ Quilted Bubinga top that has a nice center streak of heart/ sap wood. The neck is 5 piece Maple and Bubinga with Mac ebony FB and the thinnest lines (Bubinga) that disappear from just a foot away. The neck is slim and fast and the action is low and perfect. Chris installed an LR Baggs Piezo under the saddle and actually scooped out some of the underside of the Bubinga top to make it more resonant. This was perhaps the 4th or 5th of these new Stammy basses that chris delivered but he mentioned that it was the first to get a thicker mahogany body and the first to get the scooped out underside.
    Chris lives only about an hour from me and I know some day I'll have him hook me up with a new bass but this one is just too much for me and after playing it for only a few minutes it has sat in my closet. It's just too pretty to be a closet queen so I'll see if there is any interest. I'm not interested in trades.
    Chris stamped the SN 101007 in the back of the headstock which is the day I drove up to his shop and picked it up. If you ordered this same bass new it would cost $2100 plus shipping and you would have a 10+ month wait for it.

I'm listing for $1,700 + S&H because when I took it out the other day to tune it up I noticed the dry New England air had opened up a 2 centimeter opening (not really a crack because it can only be felt not seen) in the Bubinga on the top near the upper horn. If it doesn't sell in a week or so I'll likely loose my nerve and pull the listing and bring it up to Chris this spring to see if its even worth doing anything about. My guess is that once the humidity comes up a bit it will likely go away and Chris will think I'm crazy.
    Living in New Hampshire sucks in the winter! :crying:

Some additional details...
    34" Scale; 19MM spacing at the bridge, flush mounted strap locks; New TKL hard case; Black accent veneers; Mother of Pearl side dots and logo; Ebony Nut and a Mac ebony Thumbrest I had Chris make but it was not installed so I'll include it and let the new owner decide.
    Not interested in trades at this time. I prefer Pay Pal or a personal check (I cannot take money orders or bank checks).
    PM me if you have any questions or would like additional pictures.
    Thanks,

2. cosmicevan

cosmicevan bleep bloop Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    yummy...stambaugh meets rob allen.

3. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    That's a stunner!

4. BEADG

BEADG

Jan 8, 2006
    North Carolina
    Thanks West Coast.
    Bump for Wed.

5. Tslicebass

Tslicebass Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2007
    Chicago
    Oh no... I can't believe you are selling this one.
    If i didn't have 2 customs on order I would be on this like Britney Spears at a crazy people buffet
    Bump

6. BEADG

BEADG

Jan 8, 2006
    North Carolina
    Thanks Tslicebass, I'm a bit shocked I listed it too and if it doesn't go in the next week or so I'll loose my nerve and yank the listing.

Thursday Bump.

7. BEADG

BEADG

Jan 8, 2006
    North Carolina
    Saturday bump and price reduction to $1700 + S&H
    CONUS only please.
    Cheers,

8. BEADG

BEADG

Jan 8, 2006
    North Carolina
    How about a few more pictures.
    The first would give you an idea if you decided to attach the thumb rest.
    Cheers,

9. BEADG

BEADG

Jan 8, 2006
    North Carolina
    Did I mention these Bubinga lines on the Mac Ebony FB disappear?
    :D

10. BEADG

BEADG

Jan 8, 2006
    North Carolina
    Tuesday Bump

11. BEADG

BEADG

Jan 8, 2006
    North Carolina
    Wednesday Bump.

12. Tanglehead

Tanglehead

Nov 27, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Hey Jeff -

Do you have any pic's of the neck joint and back?

I can't seem to stop thinking about this bass...

tanglehead / Brian Casey

13. BEADG

BEADG

Jan 8, 2006
    North Carolina
    Sure do. Here you go.
    Thanks,

Attached Files:

14. BEADG

BEADG

Jan 8, 2006
    North Carolina
    Saturday Bump.

15. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    Wow, that's really close to the bass I'm planning on ordering from Chris after the one that's currently in the oven is delivered, but no bridge pickup and too large of string spacing is a deal breaker I think. :(

Beautiful instrument though...as are all of Chris' basses.

16. BEADG

BEADG

Jan 8, 2006
    North Carolina
    Sunday Bump,
    Bass is now up on Ebay for the week, too.
    Happy Easter,

17. BEADG

BEADG

Jan 8, 2006
    North Carolina
    Monday Bump.

18. BEADG

BEADG

Jan 8, 2006
    North Carolina
    Bump

19. BEADG