1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS: Steinberger Spirit XZ w/ DB Bridge - $275 shipped

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by David Vector, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Vector

David Vector Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Michigan
    SOLD
    Steinberger Spirit XZ with DB detuner bridge. I bought this on impulse from the TB Classifieds last week as a project bass in which to try different pickups, but I've decided not to go that route. Note that the neck is a little out of adjustment...it was reportedly playing great when it was shipped out to me but is now buzzing a lot, so I can only assume that transit and a shift in the weather threw it out of adjustment. In good shape otherwise...an indentation or two on the back of the neck (nothing severe) and the lettering is wearing off of the pickup covers. Includes Steinberger hard case and is currently strung with flats.

I just want out of it what I paid for it minus $20 for your trouble to set it back up, so I'll let it go for SOLD

Paypal or Postal Money Order accepted. For sale only, not looking for trades. Will only ship to the continental USA. Thanks very much for looking!

Photos and details from the last sale can be found here:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=467413&highlight=steinberger

2. JacksonLando

JacksonLando

Aug 30, 2008
    St. Louis
    is this a 34" scale?

3. David Vector

Jun 4, 2006
    Michigan
    Yep, 34" scale.

4. David Vector

Jun 4, 2006
    Michigan
    Monday morning bump. I'll give it a few more days here before it gets listed on the "Bay."

5. Michael Vee

Michael Vee Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    This bass was in my collection at one time. The ash body has a very attractive grain pattern, and the honeyburst is very gradual and subtle. It's a looker.

The neck rattle can be easily corrected with an allen wrench. I doubt the bass has been damaged in shipping in the HSC.

It appears that nobody has bothered to change the strings since I had it! The flats I put on this bass were an experiment. They are very thumpy and dull, as good flats should be. I included a set of rounds with the bass when I sold it, but the buyer didn't put them on, apparently.

I would put on a set of roundwounds. The stock EMG Selects really brighten up with rounds, and I liked that sound.

David, you may actually decide to keep it if you restring it and adjust the neck. These basses are really different from Fenders and Fender clones, and they take some getting used to. I love my three XZ's!

Whether you sell it or keep it, since this bass is no longer in production, I'd leave the stock electronics and pickups in it and not modify it. I do believe it'll have collector value down the road if kept stock.

Retailers are selling the XT basses at quite a premium over the original direct MusicYo prices, but I've noticed that they are not selling the XZ line. It might be that Steinberger decides not to bring back the XZs in the retail channels. In that case, these XZs are going to become pretty rare on the market, fast.

I'm mildly tempted to buy it back at this price, but I do have the three XZ's already and didn't need the fourth one, especially with my trying to downsize gear.

David - Good luck with the sale, and if no one here on Talkbass has the good sense to pick this up, you'll have no trouble moving it on eBay.

6. fitbass3p

fitbass3p

Oct 7, 2006
    Madison, WI
    This, at least, I can say is false. I threw a set of GHS double ball steel rounds on it a day or two after I got it. Nice bass, overall.

7. David Vector

Jun 4, 2006
    Michigan
    Hi Michael! I've actually had a fair amount of past experiences with Steinies...a Synapse fretless, a Spirit XT-25, and a pair of USA XQ-2A's. I sold the XQ's earlier this year and was kind of missing them, but the XQ's seem to be MIA since MusicYo got out of selling Steinies...none of the other retailers seem to have them. Hence, I thought I might snag an XZ (the closest thing available) and put EMG-HB's and maybe an EMG BQC or an ACG filter preamp in it. It is true though that the Spirits can be perfectly serviceable without modification...my Spirit XT recorded surprisingly well and had more of that great, nasal EMG bite than I was expecting from a passive bass.

Rather than go to the trouble of a bunch of mods, though, I decided to just get a bass that already has EMG's in an active setup. I really like the sound my brother gets out of his Spector Euro LX4, so I'm going to give one of those a shot.

Hopefully someone does give this XZ a good, lasting home, though. As you noted, the wood grain is beautiful on this...even nicer than on the honeyburst USA XQ I sold, and to find one of these with the DB bridge is probably a fairly rare thing nowadays.

8. David Vector

Jun 4, 2006
    Michigan
    Thursday evening bump...

9. Michael Vee

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I have no idea what was done with this bass after I sold it.

The flats are not a good match to this bass, though. It sounded superb with Steinberger roundwounds.

10. Michael Vee

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Second post/bump: I love the sound of my XZ-2 with EMG HBCS pickups and BTC control harness. It's not that much different from a graphite-necked Steinberger. I still think it wouldn't be a good idea to mod this XZ-2DB, but if one wanted to pick up the EMG active pickups and harness, you can't go wrong with this setup.

The appearance of David's XZ-2DB is gorgeous. It's prettier than my XZ-2.

11. David Vector

Jun 4, 2006
    Michigan
    Last bump before eBay...

12. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    How long, overall is this bass? And how long is the case?

I was thinking about getting a Hohner B2B that I can take to work so that I could practice at lunch. I wanted something fairly small like the B2B but it is quite a bit more expensive than this is.

13. David Vector

Jun 4, 2006
    Michigan
    The instrument is about 38.5" long and the case is about 42.5".

14. Michael Vee

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    The XZ series will fit in a standard guitar HSC or gigbag.

Hohner basses have always been priced a lot higher than the Spirits. That difference was largely due to the Spirits being sold direct to the consumer, vs. the Hohners having a retail markup.

I don't know where Hohners are currently being made, but my guess would be the Orient. The XZs were made in Korea, and this particular XZ is a good example of Korean guitar-building quality.

15. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Thank you for the replies David and Michael.

I feel this size might work out for me. I'm thinking that I would want to chase down a gig bag which will make it easier to handle in my car during lunch breaks. I played around with the B2B at a local store but had some issue with not having any upper bout to rest my right arm against or the lower horn to rest on my knee.

Now I'll also need to chase down a Cafe Walter.:D

16. RedsFan75

RedsFan75

Apr 26, 2007
    Cincinnati
    What's the weight?

NM Saw it in the first posting.

Free bump for you at least! ;)

17. Polk Salad

Polk Salad

Sep 18, 2007
    Nice looking!