1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD FS: Super light Fender Sting/'51 Reissue (cool upgrades)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by thisSNsucks, Oct 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Hi all,

I’m sure I will regret selling this, but I just have too many basses laying around not getting used much, so here it is.

This was my successful attempt to build a super light ’54 style Fender Precision bass, with some modern appointments.

Here’s a link to the thread that catalogs most of the mods:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/my-lightweight-fender-sting-54-single-coil-precision-bass-979380/

As you see this is a Fender Sting Body mated with a Fender ’51 Reissue neck. It also sports lightweight Gotoh Res-o-lite tuners, a Lindy Fralin ’51 Split coil pickup, vintage cloth wiring, including the period correct tone cap and resistor. It also now has a Hipshot B Bridge for better intonation.

First off , the bass is very light, right around 7.5lbs and it plays beautifully. The neck is straight (chunky and funky too) frets are in great shape, and the action is spot on. I’ve included some pictures of the string height at the 12th and last frets. It is currently strung with some heavy gauge D’Addario nickels and is tuned ½ step down.

The bass is in great shape, the neck is a little cleaner than the body. The back of the neck is completely ding and dent free. The body has a few little battle scars, but nothing too serious (see pics)

It sounds great too. The Lindy Fralin pickup is highly regarded, and justly so. It's completely hum free and still retains a lot of the single coil bite. The electronics are noise free as well. I will note that as you roll down the tone knob, the resistor kicks in and the volume also drops. It is normal for this wiring setup. It can always be removed if that isn't your thing. I will say with the tone rolled off, this bass is dub city.

The Sting basses and ’51 RI seem to go for $650-$800 used from what I’ve seen. This one has about $350 worth of upgrades between the tuners, pickup, and bridge.

I’m going to ask [DEL]$850 shipped[/DEL] $750 shipped within in the continental US. I will ship in a beat up, but functional hardcase for safety. I’m not in a rush to sell, so I’m pretty firm on the price.

Not looking for any trades at this time.

PM me with any questions/offers.

Now for some pics:

IMG_1974_zps9ffe2afc.

IMG_1975_zps6d701e36.

IMG_1976_zps64ef9145.

IMG_1977_zps62cf308f.

IMG_1978_zps596d3313.

IMG_1979_zpsdf65d468.

IMG_1980_zpse97597b8.

IMG_1981_zps23b3ceea.

IMG_1982_zps0fd74d82.

IMG_1983_zps4b1c4ebc.

2. BigDBass

BigDBass PWIYB!

Very cool! (And I enjoyed the build thread too.)

What's the nut width on this?

3. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Thanks!

The neck is 1-5/8" or 1.625" wide @ the nut. 7.25" radius. vintage (small) sized frets. The neck is right around .8" thick (front to back) around the first fret, and around to .9" by the last. Chunky, but very comfortable.

4. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    bump!

5. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Happy Friday

6. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Price Reduction Bump

7. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    How do you adjust the neck? At the headstock?

8. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Adjustment is at the heel with a traditional Fender slot head adjustment nut.

The cool thing is that the body is actually routed out from the factory to allow easy adjustment.

If you wanted to, all you'd have to do is put a little notch in the pickguard and you'd be able to adjust the truss rod without ever having to remove the neck. As it sits you'd either have to take off the pickguard or the neck.

9. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Bump

10. Is this still available?
    Mike523

11. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Yup it's still availible