FS: SWR Big Ben 18"

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by The Clap, Apr 13, 2005.

1. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ

For Sale: One SWR Big Ben
    Price: $290 SHIPPED (In 48 US states)

Check out the SWR link for info:

Free Pickup in Phoenix, AZ

I've been using the Big Ben at my practice space, but practice hasn't been happening much lately, and I don't need the Big Ben for my live rig. As a reference for folks with cars, this cab fit in my Honda Accord with no problem.

I've owned this cab for about a year now, and I'd say that the sound of this cab is excellent and unusually full range. I've only used it at a handful of actual gigs, but I played through it often at lower volume practices. Bought from a previous TB user, this cab is of unknown age to me, but in fine operating condition. The speaker is a huge Bag End 18" with very sturdy internals, and it is in original working condition.

This speaker has ENORMOUS low end, which the TBer I purchased it from accurately described as: "like swimming in chocolate". Everyone loves this cab and my bandmates are highly impressed by the fact that the driver is so large. The adulation over this speaker is a bit juvenile in that respect, but it's definitely there, and who doesn't like getting compliments on their gear?

The mids and highs are very open and smooth on this huge speaker, and the Big Ben is known for having uncharacteristically fast and tight low bass for an 18. The -6db point on this cab is 25hz, so it's great for the low fundamentals of 4,5,and 6 string basses. Most bass cabs can't even whisper at 25hz. The handles on this cab are very comfortable, but I wouldn't recommend this cab for solo carrying up stairs or lengthy distances. With two men/women, the cab carries very nicely.

There aren't any cosmetic problems of note other than light-to-heavy wear on the corners and some white carpet fibers in the covering on one side, which I'll try to remove before shipping. This is not the same model revision as in the picture though, mine has a different grill and a 1/4" input on the back. The newer grills are of a square pattern, whereas this one is diamond; I like the way this Big Ben looks with the old style grill though.

I can provide pictures upon request. I am open to trade for a MiM P Bass or Avatar 210NEO. Otherwise, it's all cash sale. Please PM if interested. Thanks for looking!

EDIT 4-19/ I used this cab at the gig last night as a standalone and it sounded fantastic hooked up to a Kustom Groovebass amp. The side act even played his acoustic guitar through it and got a great sound. I hate to see this cab go, but my amp only has speakon connections, and this shoddy speakon->1/4" adapter I made isn't too sturdy. Also, I only had the amp up to about 1 O clock on the dial with the Big Ben and I was filling this midsize bar to the brim with BASS. The sound guy even complimented me on it. Used properly this cab is a real weapon - Give in to GAS, PM me
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    How much would shipping be to Brandon, MS 39047?
  3. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Bump. And, well, I need the money so a price drop too. I hate dealing with shipping charges, so we'll say $290 SHIPPED within the 48 lower US states.
  4. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    Any interest in a trade for an Avatar CB112 4 ohm cab? It has one 1/4" and one Speakon. I'll include a Speakon cable + some cash to even out the deal.
  5. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Don't need anything but cash now. Pictures to follow:
  6. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    You can see some of the fine internal bracing and the beautiful Bag End 18" driver through the rear port in the last picture. That speaker is a real beauty, and not many cabs will let you admire the magnet from the ouside :)
  7. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Bump - Still Available
  8. pgurns

Dec 26, 2003
    Northern, IL
    What type of head would I need to properly drive this beast? I am looking for a new rig I sold my GK with 2x10 because I want a deeper sound,just not sure how much power it takes to drive that behemoth
  9. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    It's a common misconception that you need a lot of power to drive speakers/cabs that happen to be rated for a lot of power. I've used this cab with amps from 150-1200 watts, (between a GK 800RB and a Kustom Groovebass amp, respectively) and to be honest I've had enough power on tap in all cases in my rock band.

This cab is extremely efficient, and will make mountains of sound with any amp. I'd say that at minimum, you should use an amp with at least 100 watts of power with this cab, but of course more wattage tends to sound better, especially at gig volumes.

This cab sounds fantastically deep and open, so if that's your thing, send me a PM
  10. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    "Swimming in chocolate" indeed.... I'm surprised this is still for sale.
  11. I'm interested, but conditionally. I need to confirm - is this the "older style with the black grille? do you have the swr beauty plate for the grille? What's the ohm rating, and do you have close up photos of the input panel? I'm looking at rounding out my swr rig (2 goliath II's and 1 Henery 8x8 driven by a SWR Grind Prix preamp, and a behringer 2500 power amp)

Thanks in advance

Please email me at dburkowitz@wi.rr.com

Best Wishes,
    DR Burkowitz
  12. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Thank you for your interest, but this cabinet has been sold.