1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS/T: 3 G&L basses (SB-2, Climax, Trib JB-2)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by craigb, Mar 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I had three separate threads on these that were getting unwieldy to keep up-to-date as I modified trade desires, etc. so I consolidated them down to 1 thread.

SB-2 pics
    G&L SB-2
    - discontinued and very cool red swirl finish
    - controls modded to stacked master-vol/j-pickup-vol with a tone
    - G&L's #6 neck, their take on a vintage J (1.5" nut width, 7.5" fretboard radius)
    - fairly lightweight (I'd say low 9.somethings)
    - molded case

I'm assuming it's alder under the swirl finish based on the light weight and it's got a rosewood board. It does have some wear including a few small chips that show the black undercoat - but those are invisible in the swirl from a reasonable distance.

An SB-2 is like a regular P-J bass but with more lows, more highs and more growl. The output is very high and the tone has a clarity/purity that can be harsh at times (hence the added tone control). The J pickup isn't nearly as high output as the P and is used mostly to add texture to the sound. With both pickups full up it has a great slap sound. Like all G&L's it's a vintage-ey, growl-ey tone but this variation is a clear, throaty, growly version.

$675 shipped in the contiguous 48, paypal OK *** SOLD ***

Climax pics

G&L Climax
    This is a US-made G&L Climax bass (the predecessor to the L-1500). It has a single MFD pickup in the "Stingray sweetspot". Controls are vol, treble cut, bass cut, series/single coil switch and passive/active switch (standard controls for this era Climax bass). It has a tone that an L2K can't get and is more aggressive than a Stingray (but in the same tonal neighborhood). It's sparkle black metallic which is really just a black with metallic flakes in it - I like it better than flat black but it's hard to photograph and really show.

The neck is G&L's #6 - their take on a vintage jazz neck (1.5" wide at the nut, 7.5" fretboard radius). My favorite bass neck in the world. Rosewood fretboard. The body is thinner with more exaggerated contours and the bass only weighed 8 lbs by the bathroom scale method.

It's fairly worn (or is it that "it's got tons of mojo"?) but it's all cosmetic and the bass is solid and fully functional. Single coil mode is, well, single coil and can be noisy in some environments (you can change it from series/single-coil to series/parallel by moving one wire in the cavity if it bothers you). Active mode is a touch noisy but that's probably because of the treble boost that goes along with it. Since I replaced the op-amp chip in the preamp active mode is usable IMO (before I replaced the op-amp it was like putting a shell to your ear in active mode - I could hear the ocean). Personally I never use a Climax in active mode as it'll break glass, tear your face off and generally sound really anti-social. Swapping out one resistor on the preamp board will make active mode work like active mode on an L2K - added bite and boost without the extra treble boost.

It came in a generic gig bag and would ship in that as well.

$525 shipped in the contiguous 48, paypal OK -- *** SOLD ***

[​IMG]
    more pics

G&L Tribute JB-2
    This is an imported G&L (from Indonesia) JB-2. Great ash body and slick #8 neck (G&L's modern J neck - 1.5" nut width, 12" fretboard radius) with maple board. A pair of single coil J pickups and vol/vol/tone controls. It will ship in a brand new MF gig bag with adjustment tools.

This is a jazz bass with razor-sharp tone that reveals everything. I like the slick satin neck and it's very lightweight (8 lbs by the bathroom scale method). It has two flaws: a ding on the top of the body and a touch of fret sprout. Fret sprout is when the fretboard wood shrinks in the cold, dry winter air and the frets don't (being metal) and they protrude a bit from the sides of the fretboard. This bass has a very minor case - I just ignore it as I don't notice it unless I run my fingertips up and down the sides of the board. It may go away when the weather warms up and the air gets moister. I once had a bass with a more serious case and had a tech file the fret edges down which is not a big deal.

$385 shipped in the contiguous 48, paypal OK

Trades:

G&L L-2000
    - must: 1.5" nut width, want: #6 neck (7.5" fretboard radius)
    - must: under 10 lbs, want: under 9 lbs
    - want: maple board

G&L ASAT Semihollow bass
    - must: 1.5" nut width, want: #6 neck (7.5" fretboard radius)
    - must: 3-bolt neck attachment (for ASE)
    - must: under 10lbs, want: under 9 lbs
    - want: maple board

G&L Tribute SB-2
    - must: under 10lbs, want: under 9 lbs

Lightweight amp:
    - Thunderfunk (heaviest I'd consider)
    - Little Mark 2
    - Genz Benz NeoPak, Shuttle 6.0
    - maybe: Yamaha BBT500H
    - ???

Lightweight 3-way 1x12-based cab:
    - Dr Bass 1260 Neo
    - ???

2. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    PM sent on SB-2!
    http://[malware url removed].net/vicious-smiley-1815.gif

3. craigb

Looks like Markbass is an amp type I'll shy away from right now (missing too many of the "little features" I like: mute, switchable effects, direct out level, etc.). I'd rather not do another "intermediate" amp step that I know would be something I'd want to replace from the start.

I'd consider a Sterling HH in trade as well, although I'm not sure I can afford one overall I've been very curious about them for a while

I'd also consider a Lakland Skyline HB or Lakland Skyline Scheff

4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    craigs-a-nice-guy-bump

5. craigb

Climax is *** SOLD ***

6. The BurgerMeister

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    http://[malware url removed].net/vicious-smiley-1815.gif...come to papa, SB-2...http://[malware url removed].net/vicious-smiley-1815.gif

7. craigb

SB-2 is *** SOLD ***

And then there was one . . .

8. Nice bass, Dave.

9. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    PM sent.

10. The BurgerMeister