1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FS/T: DDyna Thinman "boutique" overdrive pedal

Discussion in 'For Sale: Effects and Pedals' started by bongomania, Mar 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    SOLD!!!

[​IMG]

There are very few of these out there, it was a limited run of 20. I think I'm the only person that has posted much about it anywhere. Here's the manufacturer link: http://www.ddynamusic.com/products/thinmanod.html

In spite of the name, its sound is actually quite fat and warm. It's a light OD, and gets you that nice "amp just at the edge of getting dirty" sound. It does not lose any low end; the highs are slightly rolled off, and mids more prominent, for speaker emulation.

I'm trying to record some clips, but this damn Presonus software is giving me a pain in the tuchus. I'm trying to get it worked out though--hopefully there will be clips by the weekend.

This pedal cost $130 new, a surprisingly low price that DDyna picked in order to encourage people to try his pedals out. I'm asking $108 shipped, OBO. And feel free to make trade offers, especially for other exotic/uncommon effects, and of course any comps I haven't reviewed yet. The only reason I'm selling is I just bought another OD that I like a bit better, the Fuchs Valve Job. But that's a much more expensive pedal--for the price of the DDyna, there is nothing out there that does the low-gain thing as well as it does, IMO.

SOLD!!!

2. PM'd

3. What do the "Bias" and "Limit" controls do?

4. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    The "bias" adjusts the voltage feeding the gain transistors, making them cleaner and tighter or dirtier and looser (sounding). The "limit" is actually a type of hard limiter, and the higher you turn it up, the more of your signal goes over the threshold. However, in this particular case, the limiter causes clipping, and does not act like a clean peak limiter, so it is not useful for controlling filter peaks for example. It is intentionally a dirty clipper, but based on a limiting circuit. So both controls affect the amount and quality of the dirt from the pedal. The knob settings in the photo are the settings I like best, although sometimes I roll the bias back to around 12:00, and the "limit" setting that will suit you best will depend on the output level of your bass.

5. jole

jole

Feb 10, 2010
    Syd, AU
    Shame I don't need another OD, sounds like a nice pedal. Love the LEDs in the knobs...

6. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    OK, I got one short clip up: http://www.ev-b.com/mp3s/ddyna2.mp3

The level is low, sorry--I'm still having endless hassles with this software. I will add more clips, hopefully better quality, as soon as I can.

Here's another one... this time, in an effort to get a little more volume, I ended up getting clipping even during the "clean" parts... but I'm just too tired and annoyed to try again tonight.

http://www.ev-b.com/mp3s/ddyna6.mp3

In the second segment I ran through the range of the "bias" and "limit" knobs. You'll hear some gating and even a "reverse" effect--that's the bias knob at high settings. There's one bit where it gets weedy and quiet, but that's just because I only had two hands, I could have brought it back up to unity with the volume knob. FWIW, at most lower-gain settings, unity is around 9:00; so there is a lot of extra volume on tap, for overdriving your tube amp or whatever. :)

7. rosstanium

rosstanium

Jan 5, 2008
    Detroit
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario
    sounds great to me. good deal. i have no need for another OD. Free bump though.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2020

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.