1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FS/T Fretless Buttercream Stingray 5

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by LeonD, Nov 14, 2006.

1. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

Realizing that I'm not a fretless player, I'm looking to move my limited edition Buttercream Stingray 5. It's in perfect condition except for the two dings shown in the pictures.

This bass has great tone with plenty of "mwah". It's currently strung with a high C but I can restring it with a low B if you want.

It comes with the limited edition case.

I'll sell it for $950 which includes shipping and paypal fees. Or I'll trade it for a fretted Bongo 5.

Thanks for looking,
    LeonD

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jim Dombrowski

Jim Dombrowski Gold Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Scale length, and string spacing at the bridge?

3. I had one of these- they're 34" scale & a tad tighter than typical Fender 3/4" at the bridge(not sure of the nut, but it's kind of Jazz-like, IIRC). Nice bass, BTW. Wish I could adopt.:)

4. xparis001

xparis001 Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Providence, RI
    Senior Product Manager, Akai Professional
    I believe they're 17mm. a tad too tight for me. I wish they had a 35 scale / 19mm option like a lakland 55-94.

5. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Wow, those LEs looke even better without frets :cool:

SWEET bass.

6. soniq

soniq

Apr 19, 2006
    El Dorado Hills, CA
    PM'd you.

7. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

PM replied.

LeonD

8. SherpaKahn

SherpaKahn

Dec 1, 2005
    Bronx, NYC
    Is this still available?

9. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

Yes it is, just waiting for someone to buy it.

LeonD

10. SherpaKahn

SherpaKahn

Dec 1, 2005
    Bronx, NYC
    Cool. My friend who plays for a local funk bass is looking around for a fretless fiver to replace his Gary Willis bass; he's looking for more of a Jaco Growl, and I'm kinda acting as his consultant in finding a bass, as his ratio of TB to playing is much smaller than mine.

Anyway, I know this is a rather silly question, but MusicMans have never really interested me all that much until recently, so I'm very unfamiliar with them and until recently tended to skip over them in threads, so could you briefly describe the Stingray sound for me? He's looking for a Jaco-ish sound with more tonal possibilities, and when I search the forums for "Musicman Sound", the engine tells me to get a life and use better search terms. So, could you please briefly describe the sound of this bass for me?

Also, in the event that my friend likes the sound (we'll probably try one at GC anyway, but I want to hear a TB member's opinion, too.), I wouldn't be able to buy the bass until about a month from now, so just letting you know. Thanks,

-Stephen

11. this is the 5-string version of the fretless Pino Palladino used on those big hits in the 80's. Go listen to some of those great songs for an idea of the fretless stingray sound.

12. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

Stephen,

I've only used this bass at home so I can't describe it based on any gigging experience. What I've read about the switch (series, parallel, single coil) is that it approximates a P bass sound, a J bass sound or a MusicMan sound.

I don't know if I'd go that far. The two sound I do hear are a full, fat sound and a semi scooped, rich sound. I think with the switch, 3 band eq and picking hand placement, there are a lot of sounds in there.

I use a four string (no switch) Stingray and have no problem getting different tones.

If your friend is interested, I'd be willing to meet half way and let him try it out. There's a store in New Haven I'd like to check some gear out; we could meet there.

LeonD