Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FS/T: G&L SB-1 w/HSC

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by Brendan, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    We have a winner. Sold, and thanks for playing, folks!

This is my "Death Oath" 4 banger. Best 4 string I've ever played, hands down. So, why am I selling it? For some reason, it doesn't like guitar amp inputs. I bi-amp, use a guitar rig for distortion. It doesn't like that, at all. And, realizing I'm a noise tinkerer, I've got no real allegiance to this thing.

Let me stress that it performs flawlessly on/for bass amps and plays great. A few of the Florida TBers can attest to the fact it has no playing issues.

Okay, that explained, here's the info:

-1985 G&L SB-1. (Aka USA made)
    -1.75" Nut (C neck)
    -3-bolt micro-tilt neck (stability isn't an issue. Truse me, if it was, I'd be the one to know)
    -1 G&L MFD humbucking pickup, Volume and Tone controls
    -G&L locking bridge
    -34" scale
    -22 frets
    -1.5" thick body, downsized P shape.
    -Bi-cut neck
    -Frets recently given a once over and cleaning by Bass Central's Grasshopper.
    -It currently has the oh-so glamorous deck screw and washer strap locks, which I can leave on, or install the original strap pins. Either way, I'll include them.
    -Included will be the G&L HSC. I don't thing it's original, but it fits it like a glove and says G&L on it. Close enough for me.

Okay, condition? 7.5" out of 10. It's got some dings in the finish that are cumulatively less than the size of a dime. See pics.

It's not dirty or mussed with fingerprints, it's just how the finish is. Undersprayed back in the day; upshot to that being it doesn't get fingerprinted like regular gloss basses. Not that it's a feature or anything, I'm just saying. (See the first pic)

Pics of bass, dings, and condition:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y115/TheBaronOmerta/

It's a big, meaty P sound, like a souped up American P. G&Ls are the best kept secret of the bass world, folks. You'll pay more for a Fender P for a bass that's probably nowhere near the construction quality or sound quality (well, sound is IMO, but I'm trying to sell something here. Stay with me here).

$530, shipped to the continental US. Hell, I'd pay it.

Trades? Run them by me, but off the bat, a Fender Dimension V (5), maybe Stingray that's cosmetically crap but a player? Mesa V-Twin + cash, 7 string guitar, baritone guitar, 5, 6, 7 string basses (wider the nut the better). Uh, basically, let me know what you've got. I'm set for amps/cabs, so not looking for anything there.

2. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Hi Brendan:

Are you sure this is an '86. The rounded Fender style headstock and black bridge would indicate an earlier, around '82 model.

Even so, $530 seems a good price for this SB, for seekers of the P Bass thing.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Old Rocker-

The serial number is B016200, and according to the G&L website, the first serial number of 1985 was B016108. The first of 1986 was B017691.

So, you're right! It's not an '86, it's an '85. There you have it, folks.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Up jump the boogie.

5. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
  6. Blueszilla

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Here are a few pics. This bass is in decent enough shape, although it has it's share of mojo. It has been a player. SMASH told me it was owned by a studio as a house instrument. Lots of birdseye on the fretboard and neck. It came with a clear pickguard, which I like a lot.

7. Blueszilla

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    A few more.. I will PM with other info.

8. Spiritfield

Spiritfield Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2004
    Jawja
    Looks familiar- did I send that black G&L down to you in FL? It's a kickin' bass that I'd love to have back! :bassist:
    David

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I was in Portland Oregon when you sent it, but yeah, it was yours.