SOLD FS/T: G&L Tribute SB-2 (burst/maple/tort)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by craigb, Aug 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

Hey Y'all,

I've grown to have too many basses again and this one is the one that needs to go next.

[​IMG]

It's a very nice 1st generation Tribute SB2. I've loved all the 1st generation (Korean) Tribute SB2s I've had and prefer them to the second generation ones. The necks feel a touch nicer to me, I like the different finish & fretboard options you can find on them and I've never had one that was too heavy.

This one has a nice sunburst finish over a basswood body, a maple fretboard and a tort pickguard. I have a "wood snobbishness" problem and was predisposed to not like the basswood body but when I compared this to an ash/rw Trib SB2 I had at the same time I liked it just as well when I listened with my ears. In fact, this outlasted all my fretted US SB2s sticking around much longer (I still have a fretless US SB2 that isn't going anywhere for now).

Neck is a G&L #8 - 1.5" wide at the nut, 12" fretboard radius. One of my all time favorites (along with the G&L #6). Satin finish

I've modified the controls to have a stacked master-vol/j-pickup-vol on the front pot and a tone control on the rear pot. This is my favored configuration as it allows setting the relative level of the J pickup to the P and then an overall master volume control. The J pickup is much lower output than the P and is used for altering the texture of the sound - it's not really strong enough to solo IMO (although I know at least one person that lowers the P pickup all the way, raises the J up as far as is feasible and uses it that way for better balance). If you wanted stacked P-vol/J-vol it's just moving the end of one wire in the control cavity (with associated desoldering/resoldering).

It's in great shape - no dings/wear/issues to talk about. Weight is reasonable, probably around 9 lbs.

$495 shipped in the contiguous 48, paypal OK

It will ship in a Fender gig bag

possible trades:

* G&L JB-2 (1.5" nut width, under 9 lbs)
    * possibly other G&Ls (1.5" nut width and under 9 lbs) with regular body shape or ASAT SH w/ASE
    * NSDesign Wav 4

2. craigb

added Wav as possible trade

3. Basswood's gotten a bad rap IMO. I used to share your snobbiness until I played Tribute G&L's, Squier Vista guitars, and the Japanese Ampeg AMB1 basses. Whatever strain of basswood was used on those 3 builds is amazing!

Good luck with the sale,
    -GB

4. craigb

Yep, the basswood Trib SB-2s and L-2500s I've had all sounded just fine. I fully admit any remaining feelings I have about basswood are an irrational prejudice. Heck, I have yet to play a wood that was "bad" - alder, ash, maple, basswood and mahogany all have worked just fine for me. My favorite bass is largely plastic and metal composite (albeit with a central wood block) so who am I to judge? :D

I was mostly trying to allay the apprehensions of anyone else who shares my wood snobbery about how this bass sounds (just fine).

5. I just bought a Korean G&L Tribute SB-2 and it's fantastic! Bump for a great bass.

6. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    that's a beauty!

7. craigb

*** SOLD ***

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.