Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FS/T GODIN FREEWAY 5 W/UPGRADES

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by KPJ, Feb 11, 2005.

1. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    I bought this Godin Freeway 5 direct from Godin in March 2002. It is the original style without the "Godin" decal on the body. I replaced the stock bridge pick up with a Dimarzo Ultra Jazz and upgraded the electronics to a Seymour Duncan STC3 preamp. The P pickup is the original Godin.

The neck is one piece maple with a slight bird's eye with a rosewood fretboard and the body is maple. The bridge is a two way through body or through tailpiece. The bass is currently strung through body with Ernie Ball Slinkys.

This was my main gigging bass for the better part of two years and is in very good shape. It comes with the original Godin hardshell case. I will also include the original bridge pick up.

The price is reduced to $350 USD shipped.

I can accept PayPal or money order.

Thanks.

2. renown

renown

Jan 5, 2005
    How did you manage to buy this direct from Godin ???

3. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    I worked at a music store that sold Godin and ordered this bass directly from the sales rep. He picked it up at the assembly plant in Berlin, NH and hand delivered it to me.

4. what is the string spacing like on this in camparison to a Jazz V. I like the looks of this bass and have been interested in a PJV for awhile now I just seen alot that have VERY tight string spacing.

5. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    The string spacing is very similar to a standard Jazz IV, the B string being the same distance from the E string as the E is from the A on a Jazz IV, which I believe is wider than a Jazz V. The neck is wide but has a shallow profile so it is very easy to play. I would not describe the string spacing on the Godin as being tight.

6. how would you describe the sound? can it get a P bass sound with the neck pickup soloed?I am interested in this but havent see one in person or heard much about them.

7. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    It has a very strong P sound. The stock Godin PUP is very powerful. I usually only use the neck pickup. The bridge PUP gives a good Jazz sound, especially since I swapped out the stock one for the Ultra Jazz. It has a very punchy sound with the neck soloed and a more mid-present sound with both on full. It is very versatile souding. I am playing in a new country band and I need to go from way down to hi-fi and this bass does it very well.

8. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Hers's the web address that will give you the stock details for this bass, for those of you unfamiliar with Godin.

http://www.godinguitars.com/godinfreewaybassp.htm

As I mentioned, I did upgrade the bridge pick-up and installed a Seymour Duncan STC3 preamp.

Thanks for looking.

9. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Anyone looking for a solid, high quality affordable 5-string should check this out! I am now looking for $350 USD shipped. This bass was assembled in USA from parts made in Canada. It really nails the P-Bass tone in a 5-string! It is easily comparable to USA made Fenders and I believe superior to MIM Fenders which will cost you more!

A brand new passive model goes for around $500. I have upgraded this one with a Dimarzio Ultra Jazz PUP in the bridge and a Seymour Duncan STC3 3-band EQ. Original Hardshell case is included.

This really is a great bass, I just don't play it much any more as I am playing 4 and 8 strings almost exclusively. I would really love to see this bass go to a great new home!

Thanks for looking!

10. How is teh low b? I saw taht it's a 34 inch scale, so is it floppy?

11. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    I second the P sound on these things, acoustically the bass itself is loud sounding. String with some slinkies and you can shave with its slap tone.

12. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Not floppy at all, the B and E string are very similar in feel.

As Oversoul said, Slinkies sound great on this bass. As a matter of fact, I have only used Slinkies since I've owned it.

13. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    There's soon to be a happy person in PA!

Someone's getting an awesome 5-string P! :D

:hyper: :bassist: :hyper: :bassist: :hyper: :bassist: :hyper: :bassist: :hyper: :bassist: :hyper: :bassist: :hyper: :bassist: :hyper: :bassist: :hyper: :bassist:

14. That Guy will be very happy, if only I had seen this before. Godins are easily arguably better than american fenders, build quality and playability are top notch for only hundreds as opposed to thousands of dollars. I'm suprised they aren't worth all kinds of money, and taking the bass world by storm. Oh well! Cheap price tags can scare people sometimes. Those sneaky Handsome Canadian devils. :ninja: