1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD FS/T: US G&L SB-2

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by craigb, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    more pics

Hey Y'all,

What I've got here is a nice US G&L SB-2. Emerald blue finish (metallic blue-green/teal), rosewood fretboard, #6 neck (1.5" wide at the nut, 7.5" fretboard radius - G&L's take on a vintage J neck). G&L MFD P-J pickups, vol/vol controls and more output than many active basses. I don't know the age but it's got a crinkle black bridge and neck plate.

Flaws are a ding in the upper horn that doesn't go through the paint (pictured) and a ding on the neck between the 7th & 8th fret toward the E-string/top side of the neck (not pictured). I don't even feel it most of the time, if your thumb gets up towards the fretboard edge there you might notice it (maybe it can a be positional reference for you ;)). The pickguard shows some wear but the rest of the bass is in pretty nice shape.

A molded G&L case with the "twist-lock" type latches is included. Weight is 9.something lbs - to me not heavy and not light.

It sounds like an SB-2 should. P-bass type sound with more highs, more lows, more clarity and more growl. The J pickup is used like a tone control to add texture. It's a very agressive, full spectrum, vintage-ey (as opposed to modern) Fenderish/P-ish tone. I love this tone, it's pretty close to what I look for in every bass.

Why am I selling? I have another SB-2 already (a Trib) and yet another US one on the way. This one, while nice, is not "the one" so I'm putting it on the block to fund the continued search for "the one".

$600 + shipping, USPS MO

Possible trades:

* G&L SB-1 or SB-2 - gotta be light (under 9 lbs), maple or ebony board, satin neck and a color/finish combo I like w/1.5" nut width
    * Lakland Skyline Hollowbody
    * Lakland Skyline Decade
    * EB Musicman Sterling HS or HH
    * Carvin AC-40 w/traditional headstock (fretted or fretless)
    * Wendler fretless 4
    * G&L fretless 4 w/1.5" nut width (no ASATs)
    * Reverend Rumblefish 4
    * G&L JB-2

If you have a semi-hollow with a jazz-like neck and an upper horn to the 12th fret or so I might be interested (I've tried and passed on the Epi JC Sig, DiPinto Belvedere, Waterstone ME-1/ME-2, Godin A4, Dean Cabbie, Spector Spectorcore, Dean Rhapsody)

[​IMG]

2. watspan

watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    bump for a gorgeous bass and a great description of the sb-2 tone. the other thing I would add is those MFD's are hot! this is the highest output passive bass I've ever played. played mine at a blues gig last night and they are really quite versatile tone-wise w/ the vol-vol config. takes a bit of experimentation, but it's in there!

3. craigb

Yep, the output is crushing and there is a lot of tonal variation in there if you get used to the idea of dialing back on the volume acting kind of like dialing back on a regular tone control as well.

I'd consider a G&L JB-2 in trade as well

I've found a used Lakland Skyline HB so I'm open to reasonable offers (then again I'm always open to reasonable offers on anything I'm selling).

4. craigb

Took the 5-string references out of the trade options as my latest experiment there failed miserably and I really need to stick to skinny necked 4s.

5. craigb

OK, in an effort to move my forsale basses quickly in these troubled economic times I've figured out my bottom net take-away and put that up there.

$600 - cash-in-hand, local meet-up

or

$600 + shipping, USPS MO

6. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Interested in a Nash P-Bass?

7. craigb

Sorry, GE I'm really only interested in the basses I listed

8. craigb