Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SOLD FS/T: Vintage '82 B.C. Rich Wave, koa body and neck-thru (not typical 'metal' BCR...)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by klocwerk, Jan 12, 2006.

1. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Like it says.
    You've seen it in my sig, now you can own it.
    I've decided that I'm more of a Jazz bass man these days, so it's time for this beauty to find a new home so that I can fuel my GAS.

Koa body, neck through construction with maple stringers.
    Very nice Rosewood fretboard.
    Rock solid neck. I've owned this bass for 13 years(ish) and I've never once needed to tweak the truss rod nor the bridge saddles. Haven't touched it. Ever.

[​IMG]
    (more photos here: http://www.lordgoogle.com/bass/rich_wave.html )
    I've had offers sight unseen for this bass at $1600, so I'm going to ask $1800 or best offer.

Condition:
    - Everything is original except the straplocks which were installed 15+ years ago (it will come with the strap part of the locks as well, don't worry) and the strings. I confirmed this with Neal Moser who did the original setup on these basses before they left the custom shop. He saw my bass and said: "ALL Koa Wave basses are very rare in the scheme of things and that is a really nice one."
    - It's almost 25 years old, so as you might expect it's got a few dings in the finish. Nothing major, and nothing as large as a dime, but there are a few pinky-nail size spots. They don't stand out though, you have to be looking for them.
    - The output jack plate is cracked and missing a piece, and the output jack itself could use being replaced as it pops occasionally. It's a standard jack, easy to replace, but I prefered to leave the original one in there. I'm weird like that.
    - Might need a new nut, getting a little low under the E.
    - One flakey mini-switch. I have a source for an original replacement switch if you're interested.

All minor things obviously, but I'm being nitpicky. If you're buying it, you deserve to know everything.

Electronics:
    Wiring diagram: http://www.nealmoser.com/Bichwiringdiagram.htm (same as Mockingbird/Eagle)
    It's got 2 passive P-style pickups with an active preamp (with preamp bypass switch), 3 little preamp switches that I don't pretend to understand but give you different tones. One of these switches is slightly flakey occasionally, just in the interest of full disclosure.
    Also, neck/bridge/both p'up selector switch, preamp vol, master vol, and a tone knob.
    Last, but not least, is the 5-way tone rotary switch. Again, not sure the specifics but it gives you a disturbing number of tonal options. I think it sweeps through the p'ups series/parallel configurations, but I could be very wrong.

Badass bridge, currently wearing Chromes XL strings iirc.

Also have the original hardshell case (it's in the mail from my parents' attic, so don't ask for pictures right now. black outside, orange velvety inside).

I've had offers sight unseen for this bass at $1600, so I'm going to ask $1800 or best offer.
    Seriously, make me an offer. I'll consider it if it's in the ballpark.
    I'd rather not ship it, but will if I have to.

Trades: pretty open to consider any trades, or trades+cash. I don't have any cash to put in right now, so don't offer me your Fodera for mine+$1k. Can't do it.
    Looking for 4 or 5 strings. Not 3, not 6. I can't play aircraft-carrier basses. :D

Located in Cambridge outside Boston Massachusetts, happy to meet up to show you the bass if interested.

That's all I can think of. Hit me with any questions via PM or e-mail to bass (at) cybertrash . net
    (I can't believe I'm seriously doing this, I love this bass. :crying:
    Ah well, times and people change. I do reserve the right to pull this at any time without warning.:ninja: )

2. I live in Cambridge and owning this bass would be a dream for me, but I simply can't afford it. Good luck selling! It is very beautiful.

3. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Thanks. ^_^

4. man, i have to tell you, you're crazy if you sell that bass! it is incredibly rare, and completely unique. that is definitely one of those pieces you are going to regret selling later. trust me. hang onto that one. save your money and buy whatever new toy you want, but don't sell the wave to fund something else. i know what i'm talking about here. you'll just kick yourself later.

5. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Lots of people have told me this. And I agree!
    I just never play it and I'm not a collector. What's a bassist to do? :rollno:

I've thought about selling it for a year now, sought out a few offers and then changed my mind repeatedly. I know I'm asking a lot for it, and that's because it's going to take a lot to push me over that edge and actually sell it.

6. pm sent

7. pm sent

8. also what are the electronic controls on that. i saw the schematic but didnt understand it.

9. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    there's a large paragraph in my post with everything I know about the electronics.

10. did you get my last pm

11. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Ok, got a new bass and realized that I am simply not playing my Rich any more.

Even more serious about selling now. Would far prefer a local sale, but I'm flexible if you want to have me ship it.

12. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    *nudge up*
    Interested in a Jazz style bass in partial trade, fretted or fretless, 4 or 5.
    Something with a really good classic Jazz tone, passive or not-overbearing active.

13. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    *nudge*

14. pm sent, and i am sorry but i am still having alittle trouble with the elctronics.

15. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    and my response is still exactly the same as last time you PMed me about them.
    I've posted what I know, I'm not hiding info in my back pocket for you.

16. I know your not, and i am sorry for sending the same thing twice

17. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    *nudge*

18. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    noy sold yet?,,,,,,wow.

19. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    nope, still around.

20. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    have my eye on a tacoma thunderchief, someone help me out here!