1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD FS: Tobias 5 string body and neck

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Marcus Willett, Jan 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    Picked this up a while ago; meant for it to be a project but never got around to it. Decent shape, doesn't appear to have any issues. Looks metallic green in the pics, but it's more purple-ish...the finish is one of those "color shifting" deals that the color depends on the angle you look at it.

Not sure of model, just know it's a Tobias of some kind, body looks "Killer B-esque". Very light, could be a nice project if you're so inclined. Don't have any parts for it, so don't bother asking.

$100 + shipping. CONUS. Feel free to ask any questions.

2. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man

Feb 11, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Jaydee Basses
    This is a Growler Bass...Made by Gibson here in Nashville. (friend of mine designed that one)...called it the Renegade...

3. llamalor2112

llamalor2112 Banned

Sep 18, 2007
    I think its one of the musicyo era Toby 5ers though. My renegade had dual truss at bass of neck, different neck alltogether and a different body contour even...not to mention control layout

4. llamalor2112

llamalor2112 Banned

Sep 18, 2007
    Unless they changed their design because the body n pup routes suggest renegade but everything about the neck says no. Dot inlays, black headstock, single truss rod, 3 bolt neck

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Not a Toby. Unless major mods were done to the body. The control cavity is way larger than a Toby's and it also has string through body. Toby's either had J pups or humbucker pups. Toby's didn't have 3 bolt necks. The Toby's upper & lower arms weren't that pointy either.

I used to own a Toby Deluxe (bolt on model). The Toby Pro was neckthrough. Here's a pic of me with mine. Oh, and no, that is not my amp. That was supplied backline.

DSCN0442.

6. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I just picked up a used Toby Pro and it's a neck through, the body has a different shape, it has two soapbars, and has four knobs in the controls. Not sure what model it is, but I'm not sure it's a Toby Pro.

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

See my post. Not a Toby!

8. NiteFury

NiteFury Supporting Member

May 12, 2010
    Akron, Oh
    the three bolt neck is different for Tobias, but other than that i think its a renegade.

9. llamalor2112

llamalor2112 Banned

Sep 18, 2007
    If its a renegade then it must be an early proto version because everything about the neck is different from the ones I'be owned

10. Lakland414

Lakland414

Dec 3, 2011
    wisconsin
    I'm interested! Let me know what the next would be! Is the head stock with the tobias design?

11. scubaduba

scubaduba Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    That is very unique. Control layout is not typical Renegade.

12. Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Wow, more discussion than I expected!

Anyway, a couple things.

First, llamalor2112 was the first to pull the trigger, so he's got dibs at this point.

Second, it is to the best of my knowledge, a Tobias of some kind. It has the Tobias logo on the headstock, and seems to look like a Tobias. Is it possible it's a knockoff? Sure I suppose, I can't and don't make any guarantees about it. There is a serial number, and I suppose if someone wanted to give me the Tobias format for those it might help.

I dunno, and it's not a big enough deal for me to worry about it. AFAIK, it's a Toby but I can't promise that, and if you need such a promise, keep looking I guess.

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

When we say "Toby", that was the name of a particular model sold by Gibson on the musicyo.com website. So yes, it IS a Tobias of some sort but it is NOT a Toby!

14. torres_bass

torres_bass

Sep 23, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    body looks like a Tobias(USA) but the neck looks like a Toby which I think where made in Korea. I believe all US made Tobias have the truss rod cover at the bottom of the neck.

15. llamalor2112

llamalor2112 Banned

Sep 18, 2007
    That's been my impression but the bolt joint on the neck n body match each other so its not a hack job :confused:

16. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Unless it's a refin. The holes in the body could've been filled. I've never seen a 3 bolt neck on a Tobias.

The control layout is in keeping with the Bartolini NTMB preamp (vol, blend, treble/mid/bass). The size and shape of the cavity is in keeping with that as well, but looks like room for only one 9-volt.

17. llamalor2112

llamalor2112 Banned

Sep 18, 2007
    Yeah, the neck heel is significantly carved down (actual flat heel on neck is largely exposed) and the paint job is obviously aftermarket (looks to be colorshifter rattlecan refin?) I'm requesting close pics of the headstock front n back including s/n now to check it out....

18. Mousekillaz

Mousekillaz

Nov 25, 2009
    Anacortes Wa.
    3 bolt neck attachment, single truss rod and the adjustment nut cover is on top. NOT like any USA Tobias's I've ever seen.

19. Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Ah, OK. I just assumed that "Toby" was a generic name for a Tobias, kinda like "Ric" or something.

Makes sense...whatever it is, I'm pretty sure it's not a USA model.

headstock

20. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    The shape of the heel is right, the neck shape is not. The flat portion of the neck shouldn't extend so far. The Killer B in my hand has less than 1/4" of flat before the taper starts. I'm thinking this isn't the original neck. It would be good to take the neck off and see if there are extra holes, or holes that have been plugged.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.