1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD FS: Tom Clement Phoenix Fretless 5 #271 ~ Ebony/Walnut with Olive Board!!!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by bass5str, Aug 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bass5str

bass5str

Jun 27, 2010
    California
    Spec:
    5 String Heavily chambered Phoenix 19-34,
    Black Walnut Body with Maccasar Ebony Top,
    Port Orford Cedar Neck with African Olive Unlined Board,
    Nordstrand Fat Stacks, Passive with Boost/Cut (Push Pull), V/B/T
    Custom Ebony on Walnut Knobs,
    Black Hardware, Angled Hipshot Ultra Light Tuners
    Thomastik Flats strung E-C
    3 - String Retainer

I’ve owned this bass for a two months so it is essentially new with ZERO dings, scratches, etc. Tom is a artist when it comes to builds and this one is right up there with many instruments more than twice its price range!

She balances perfectly, with a fast easy to play neck and plenty of Mwahhh even without the rounds. The open voicing is exceptionally punchy with even swell across the strings. This one cuts through the mix!

For the curious, the African Olive is hard enough for rounds. I had rounds on it originally but for my ear/feel and what I was playing swapped them out for some burpy flats. If you prefer the rounds (also E-C), I’ll throw them in for free. For low B players, if that is your thing, Tom’s instruments have a tight killer B string. This instrument is both a looker and player and I was impressed with the Macassar Ebony top. It almost seems to add a bit of natural compression that might suit some players and styles. I’m asking $2,000 or OBO with shipping included which is a tad bit over $500 off.

http://www.clementbass.com/web/Gall...55/Default.aspx?path=moderndouble/Clement 271

More pics to come :bassist:

2. Jazzkuma

Jazzkuma

Sep 12, 2008
    what is the scale length on this bass?

3. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    34" scale

4. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    That is freakin' sweet. Too bad I suck at fretless AND 5-string :meh:

5. bass5str

bass5str

Jun 27, 2010
    California
    thanks for the interest & kind words you two!

@TimBosby
    i know what you mean. for years i stayed away from fretless. a few years back i gave it a serious try and find i play my fretless more. not that i'm great but i feel it lets me put more emotion into the music and tom's craftsmanship makes it that much easier to pull off :)

6. bass5str

bass5str

Jun 27, 2010
    California
    I really have not been pushing this sale and one day will regret doing so but sadly it has to find a new home :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.