1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS: tube amps! Univox 1011 and Music Man Sixty-Five

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by bongomania, Nov 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The Music Man is now SOLD!!! Univox taken off the market, for now anyway. I'll start a new thread if I decide to sell it.

2. Dee-man

Dee-man Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Free bump. A few questions about the MM that others may also have - do you know if you can run it with a rack preamp instead of the one it has? This has the high/low power switch, right? And I've heard the speaker outputs run series, not parallel - stupid question, but what does that mean, practically speaking? Thx, DM

3. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Good questions! The MM does not presently have an insert jack or fx loop for bypassing its own preamp. I think it would be a fairly simple mod for a competent amp tech, if you wanted to go that route. It does have the high/low power switch, very handy for low-volume practice etc.

The outputs are in series, and what that means in practical terms is if you want to run cabs in parallel, you have to link the cabs directly to each other, rather than using two outputs on the amp. So e.g. I have two 8-ohm cabs, and I just run one cable from the amp to cab A, and a second cable from cab A to cab B. That gets me a 4 ohm load, and there is a switch on the back of the amp to select 4 or 8 ohm operation.

If I had two 4-ohm cabs instead, I could use the series outputs on the back of the amp, and it would be an 8-ohm load, and I'd flip the switch to 8-ohm mode. Same wattage at 4 and 8 ohms. So really the series outputs, along with the switch, make this amp much more flexible than other amps, in terms of using either one cab or two, whether you have 4-ohm or 8-ohm cabs.

4. Dee-man

Apr 6, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Thanks. Very helpful. Now I'll really start agonizing.

5. Is the tremolo on the univox foot switchable? I've read that on some the tremolo and reverb were foot switchable

6. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Yes, both the tremolo and the reverb have their own jacks for footswitch on/off. I'll even throw in a nice-quality footswitch, so all you'd need to provide is the cable.

7. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    What are the dimensions of the Music Man?
    these are cool little amps....

8. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    The MM is roughly 23" x 10" x 9", and the Univox is roughly 23" x 11" x 10".

9. Dee-man

Apr 6, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    PM sent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.