1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FS - vintage Hagstrom Swede

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by tony moore, May 1, 2010.

1. I've been on a vintage Hagstrom bender and somehow ended up with a few. I'm self sworn to keeping three basses in the stable and the choices are hard...

I've read alot about Swede's but never played one until this one, and it surprised me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It has a ton of tonal options and all are usable to me. I think the most effective is the 3 way coil selector. I'm told they are series, total humbucker, and parallel. I don't really understand what "total humbucker" means... As I said, all sound unique and all sound useful to me. I describe the overall tone of the bass as "vintage modern" because it doesn't just do "thump" as "vintage" usually describes to me, and you can dial in some very warm, some very clean, and some very punchy tones between the pickup selection, pickup coil selection and pickup volume and tone controls. The bass is very quiet in all settings and I can hear no hum in my rig. It's currently set up with medium low action because I like it that way. When it arrived, it was setup with very low action. The short scale neck is awesome with no issues, buzzes, rattles or dead spots. I'm told the fingerboard is ebony and it indeed looks and feels like it. The body is solid mahogany. The bass weighs about 9.5 lbs and balances perfectly when strapped. I've read about neck deck on Swedes, but the folks writing this can't possibly have played one. If you just hold it, not strapped, it's actually a bit "tail" heavy. The E string isn't flabby at all and nicely balanced with the other strings. I assume this is because of the bridge and tailpiece? It does have a few nicks and such, but nothing serious as the pics show. The only real defect is that the E string post has a break at the end. It's difficult to see and doesn't affect anything. It came strung with flats and I have also installed some D'Addario rounds. Both are included. I like the rounds on it myself, but the flats do sound good too, especially picked. It will come shipped in a non-original and beat case.

$700 including ground insured shipping CONUS. Payment via PayPal please.

I'd also be interested in trades including a Sansamp VT Bass and/or an E-H POG2

Thanks for looking,

Tony

2. SOLD

3. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    You always have the coolest basses. Budget's tight, glad I didn't check in today.

4. thanks man!

this was a hard one to let go. very, very cool basses that (i think) are as usable as they are pretty. i think there's a reason that you don't see these modded like you do other 70's era basses. they just got it right.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I spent about 6 hours over like 4 or 5 visits to Robbie's Music in Wayne NJ playing a new old stock one (they had 4 in stock) about 6 months into my playing bass... I LOVED it, but the Ibanez Destroyer was more Metal \m/ :mad: \m/ so I bought it as my first real bass instead.