1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FS - Warmoth "Bender" Precision bass - Futurama! $300 (price drop!)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by smurfco, Apr 25, 2010.

1. smurfco

smurfco Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Stamford, CT
    Let me first say that if you're looking for a bass in good cosmetic shape, look elsewhere. Now that we've got that out of the way...

This is a Warmoth Precision Bass that I decided to call Bender after my favorite Futurama character. I had a friend of mine make me a waterslide decal with the word Bender in the Fender font, and a picture of Bender relaxing. How cool is that?

First, the bad - I built this bass a few years ago, never got a case for it, and played it - hard. It has more than its fair share of dents, dings, and scrapes. I tried to picture some of them below but they didn't come out. I'd say the worst would be on the body to the lower left of the bridge and on a few places high up on the fingerboard (around the highest frets) where something scraped across it. I also did a real hack-job cutting out a slot in the pickguard so you could get to the truss rod adjustment easier. The G tuner is missing one of the screws in the back, and the neck shifts in the pocket a little bit. A halfway decent workman could probably whip this bass into shape, but it ain't me. It's a bit on the heavy side (I don't have a scale but I'd guess around 9 or 10 pounds).

Now for the good news - even with all of the above, this bass plays wonderfully and sounds huge, especially with flats on it. Everyone who's ever played it agrees - it's not going to win any beauty contests but the sound and the playability are there. I sanded the back of the neck for an even slicker feel. I gigged this bass heavily and it never once let me down. The action is nice and low and the neck is straight. Tuners are smooth and hold tune, the bridge is fully adjustable (no frozen screws). I just put a brand new set of Fender flatwounds on it and they sound great.

This bass has medium-jumbo size fretwire, maple neck/fingerboard, alder body, a USA '62RI pickup, USA pots and jack, Schaller tuners, and a Gotoh bridge. I installed a thumbrest as well. I also have a white pearloid pickguard that hasn't had that truss rod notch cut out which I would throw in if you wanted it. No case, but I will pack extremely well.

I'd like to get $250 shipped (price drop - I can't edit the title anymore) to the CONUS for this one. I have almost a grand into the bass total but I understand that I can't expect to get near that with all the dents and dings in this one. I think my price for this bass is fair, but we will let you be the judge of that! Sorry no international bidders at this time. PM me with questions. I have 100% positive feedback both on TalkBass and on eBay (usedforcomparison).

My digital camera sucks, I can try to take more detailed pictures if anyone is interested.

Thanks!

DSC00844.

DSC00845.

DSC00846.

DSC00847.

DSC00848.

DSC00850.

DSC00853.

DSC00854.

2. ADBass123

ADBass123

Apr 5, 2010
    San Diego
    That's pretty cool man. I've been looking for a p bass and this seems like an affordable one wish i could buy it.

3. AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Detroit Metro, MI USA
    Cool Roger Waters '77 vibe. :)

4. smurfco

Mar 16, 2007
    Stamford, CT
    Funny you say that! It actually started out as a Roger Waters tribute bass. I don't know what made me change my mind and stick Bender on there. Welcome To The Machine, I guess...

5. smurfco

Mar 16, 2007
    Stamford, CT
    Monday Morning Bump - bite my shiny metal bass!

6. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Cheese it!

7. mellamoyo

mellamoyo

Jan 19, 2010
    interested in trades?

8. smurfco

Mar 16, 2007
    Stamford, CT
    I'd like to get cash if I can but I'll always listen to trades. Whatcha got?

9. smurfco

Mar 16, 2007
    Stamford, CT
    Tuesday afternoon bump! I can now do $300 shipped to the CONUS. This is a great bass - don't let the issues scare you away! In good shape this bass would be worth over twice what my asking price is. Someone is going to get a great playng and sounding bass for not a lot of money (I hope...!!).

10. Can we see a pic of the dings on the fretboard?

11. smurfco

Mar 16, 2007
    Stamford, CT
    You can kind of see the worst one in the fifth pic down - a scrape parallel to the frets in between the two dots. When I get home from work I will try and get some better fretboard ding pics but my digital camera is a real nightmare for up-close pics like that - the flash tends to wash everything out.

Thanks!

12. Put it in natural sunlight and turn the flash off.

Thanks in advance for the extra pics.

13. smurfco

Mar 16, 2007
    Stamford, CT
    Wasn't able to snap any pics yesterday due to the rain. I will now let this one go for $250 shipped in the CONUS. I can't go any lower - that's the amount of a bill I've got to pay - but I really do think that's a hell of a deal for this bass.

14. smurfco

Mar 16, 2007
    Stamford, CT
    SOLD!